Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Re: My complaint about "being screwed by GM"

First, I apologize for my poor choice of words; screwed was too harsh.

Now, that me explain a little of why I made the post in the first place. I am an Engineer (which a lot of people will probably hold that against me saying that I should have known better) and for many years I worked for a company making consumer items (not automobiles). Every 3 or 4 years the company would come out with a "new, improved" model of one or more of their products. While there were many differences in components, including user interfaces and external appearances, we strived to use as many parts from previous models as possible. If a new part design was not critical to the "new, improved" model we used the previous parts. This was done to reduce the amount of retooling necessary for the new models and to reduce the amount of stock needed to be kept in inventory of the dealer repair shops, but to also not require a lot of retraining of the repair technicians. While my projects were not quite as complex as the Camaro, I could see quite a few places where it did not seem like the dimensions needed to be different.

As far as the suggestions that I should have done more research prior to buying the 6th Gen, I had very little choice as GM bought back my 5th Gen due to the Lemon Laws and a part of the buyback was to upgrade to the 6th Gen.

I hope that some of this will explain why I am not "on drugs" or an idiot as some have suggested. Since the previous post has been closed, properly so, I hope that this explanation will also put the thread to bed.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #2
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Why? just Why?
Old 06-08-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
You seem like a good guy. However, you do understand why someone reading your complaint would find it unreasonable, right? You seem to be looking at things from strictly one perspective.. yours.

And you're speculating about the engineering choices that GM made with little to no hard facts or data. My advice? Leave it be. Join the club and enjoy the car. You made a good choice.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #4
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Your complaints are unfounded. GM was transparent (and seemingly proud) of the fact that the 6th gen was all-new minus the bowties and RS/SS badges. They changed dimensions because the 5th gen was a porker built on an older sedan chassis they were phasing out of production anyways. The move to the alpha platform was to spread the investment across 3 production vehicles and minimize complexity in the supply chain while providing a stronger and superior chassis to work with.

That said, it's silly to buy a car and not expect to lose money. You bought $2k in accessories and it sucks you had to get rid of the car under lemon law, but it's just as unreasonable to expect two generations of cars to share any interior components.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
Old 06-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
We are all entitled to our opinions. For those of us that are fortunate enough to be a citizen of the USA, we are also guaranteed by the first amendment of The Constitution the right of free speech. We still can't talk about bombs at the airport. For what it's worth, it's probably not beneficial to stink talk about GM on a Camaro site either.

For the most part, the members on these forums are a great group of enthusiasts and all around good people. I have found this site to be a great source of information and have established some great friendships here.

Unfortunately, as in most facets of this life, this site is approximately 1.67% douche bags. They believe that their opinion is the only one that matters. Don't be discouraged.

Don't let the haters here get to you. This should be a place that we can express/share our thoughts opinions and expertise. A place where we all can benefit and if need be, agree to disagree. The diversity here benefits us all... even the DBs.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:41 AM   #6
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Does your iPhone 7 case fit your iPhone 10? Blasphemy!!!!! Apple and Chevy have terrible engineers!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:48 AM   #7
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
I can see this thread going right back to the comments in the other one. Should just let this one die too.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 AM   #8
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
just out of curiousity,what was wrong with you gen 5 that it became a buyback?
Old 06-09-2018, 04:58 AM   #9
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
You still don’t make sense. It’s not just the 5th to 6th gen Camaro. Look at every car on, well, the entire planet!

You can’t honestly tell us you think even one of those cars keeps common dimensions when they get a generational re-design. You don’t seriously believe that do you?

Name a car. Any car. Let’s take the Corvette. No two generations similar.

How about the Honda Accord? Nope, can’t use the sunroof visor or floor mats from an 8th gen on a 9th gen.

Mercedes S Class? No way.

Buick Regal? Nope. They just redesigned it. Completely different car too.

Toyota Camry? Ford Mustang? Heck even the Chevy Malibu........

NONE of them have the same dimensions and parts when comparing back-to-back generations of designs.

The mind blowing thing is that this is news to you.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
You should have negotiated some compensation for your accessories, but to expect a manufacturer to design around the previous model's floor matts is just plain laughable. Also, your post was very negative ,and your last statement would lead one to believe that is was your choice to move to a Gen6 and not because of a buy back. Your words "If I had it to do over again, and I knew of these changes, I probably would have kept the 5th Gen". Either way you didn't do your homework since you didn't know of the changes. Most engineers I know are anal about knowing all the details before they make a decision. I have several for customers, and they always ask a 1000 questions for everything. Lol

You were right to pick the words "being screwed by Gm". Because from your post, I believe that is exactly how you feel. That's understandable if your first Camaro was a lemon and now the second doesn't live up to your expectations. Your problem was stating how you felt you were screwed which was very funny. Lol
Old 06-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Moderators, can we just close this thread as well? OP simply created another thread with the "screwed by GM" in the title.

As much as a very, very few think that an emotional post about his feelings justifies it, please close it for the same reason you closed the last one.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Moderators, can we just close this thread as well? OP simply created another thread with the "screwed by GM" in the title.

As much as a very, very few think that an emotional post about his feelings justifies it, please close it for the same reason you closed the last one.

Thanks!
PLEASE do this.....its just more troll crap......
Old 06-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
If the $2000 in accessories is more important than having a better car, just sell the gen 6 and buy a low milage gen 5 and quit whining.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
As an admin on other car forum, I wouldn't close this thread unless people start to insult others. OP has the right to express his opinion, and he has to live with the fact that people might agree with him, or not. He created this second thread himself, so he wanted to keep discussing about this... if he complained about people being harsh with him... he shouldn't have opened this thread... but he did.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018

Closed Thread