Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #15
Austin48624

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
It really appears you just busted the ball and cage kit in the inner half shaft end. The diff may in fact be fine. That's my guess. You're down there in "The Driveshaft Shop" country. He's a sponsor here. If you knew someone in the bizz, those ends can be replaced. Most won't do that though. But in your case, you probably boogered up the splined end of the shaft that mates with the inner race of the six-ball set up. The twist tells me that. I'd expect the shaft to go before the diff...if yer lucky!

I think all of us weekend warriors worry about this. Our cars were designed much more to be performance passenger cars than race cars. Ok, a ZL1, Z/28 and to a lesser degree, the 1LE are equipped with a few track-friendly mods.

Kind of a pay me now or pay me later proposition , IMO. $80K (give or take) gets you a Z/28 track car. But something tells me they break too. Pay to play...
My question to you is, if I'm underneath the car Right? And I decided to try to pull the axle out by the diff side first. ( I know that's not the proper way to) Is it possible that the axle can pull out about 3 inches or alittle more? Also end (spline) look similar to the hub side? Cause I don't recall seeing one when it pulled out a bit without taking the other side off. Feels like I shouldn't be able to pull it like that so easily.
Austin48624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
Austin48624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
You can find stock take-off axles all over for cheap, so if it's just that you are lucky. If it's the spider gears, you might want to consider all your options.

I have broke both over the years.
You say "Take Off Axles" like... Replacement axles? Or Axles that can withstand a launch?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin48624 View Post
You say "Take Off Axles" like... Replacement axles? Or Axles that can withstand a launch?
By "take off" he means they are stock axles that owners have removed for one reason or another. Most often done to install stronger axles or possibly a diff/axle swap.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #18
Austin48624

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
By "take off" he means they are stock axles that owners have removed for one reason or another. Most often done to install stronger axles or possibly a diff/axle swap.
Thank you for the Info. I'll post back when I see these parts.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #19
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Sooo, did she do something wrong in terms of the launch or is this something related to poor design? Am I to worry if I drive my SS in a "spirited" fashion?
Her car was not stock. I don't remember what mods she had at that time, but I'm sure at least a cam and headers, and NOS, and drag radials.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
My question to you is, if I'm underneath the car Right? And I decided to try to pull the axle out by the diff side first. ( I know that's not the proper way to) Is it possible that the axle can pull out about 3 inches or alittle more? Also end (spline) look similar to the hub side? Cause I don't recall seeing one when it pulled out a bit without taking the other side off. Feels like I shouldn't be able to pull it like that so easily.
I'm a little embarrassed to say that while I have been around axle half shafts for 30+ years, (mostly FWD) I haven't actually pulled one from a Camaro. If I understand your question, it depends on if the inner (diff side) has a MALE end that inserts into the diff or if it's more of a flange type mount. Looking at you vid and not seeing bolts, I'm presuming it's the male version. Maybe someone can confirm.

If it were a flange mount, there probably is enough "plunge" in the CV ends to allow you to remove from just the diff side. If you had to pull the longer male spline out, it could be more difficult especially with busted up parts in it.

Someone help me out here! (I know this isn't a Camaro, just showing end types
Name:  flange.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #21
Austin48624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I'm a little embarrassed to say that while I have been around axle half shafts for 30+ years, (mostly FWD) I haven't actually pulled one from a Camaro. If I understand your question, it depends on if the inner (diff side) has a MALE end that inserts into the diff or if it's more of a flange type mount. Looking at you vid and not seeing bolts, I'm presuming it's the male version. Maybe someone can confirm.

If it were a flange mount, there probably is enough "plunge" in the CV ends to allow you to remove from just the diff side. If you had to pull the longer male spline out, it could be more difficult especially with busted up parts in it.

Someone help me out here! (I know this isn't a Camaro, just showing end types
Attachment 871444
Yeah I've only.worked with fwd. I have a 04 srt4 neon before this.... So you can see why I asked lol. I don't believe it has the flange but the male end surely for a stock axle. I appreciate the pictures though. It helps me understand more
Old 05-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #22
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
I can tell you that I wasn't too sure on how to properly launch. Seeing as I've only seen videos and doing burnouts on the street and launching as well was a bit easier. The grip is a whole lot better and the grip was slot more than I thought. I had wheel hop and that ALONE should have been red flags. But what did I know? I got a 13.03 second quarter mile, and I wanted to get my reaction time down to .1s not .4s (their lights are delayed so you'd have to launch on the last yellow light) But yes, I was dumbing the clutch and at higher rpms. So I got what I deserved. It just confuses me that for a while it worked just fine in a straight line but when I'd turn it would thump. What finally did it for going straight AND turning was a complete u-turn. Then it felt like it disconnected.
As far as your launch technique goes, you may want to look into pre-loading the driveline a little with the emergency brake. The basic idea is that you'll stage the car (or even just get to pre-stage) and then start holding the car with the e-brake as you very lightly load the clutch. You don't want to do it long - this isn't a torque converter, and it's easy to overheat.

You just want to create a light load against the drive-train, so that when you get the green you've already taken up all the slack in the drive-train - removing, or at least reducing the snapping acting of quickly releasing that clutch with a bunch of RPM in the car.

You can find good you-tube examples of this approach. It's not for everybody, but you may find it helps reduce that initial shock, and keep the car out of wheel-hop on the initial hit. Wheel hop will break stuff like crazy - that on-off-on-off application of force is incredibly brutal and tears stuff up in a hurry. If it hops, just get out of the throttle, it's not worth it.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #23
Austin48624

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
As far as your launch technique goes, you may want to look into pre-loading the driveline a little with the emergency brake. The basic idea is that you'll stage the car (or even just get to pre-stage) and then start holding the car with the e-brake as you very lightly load the clutch. You don't want to do it long - this isn't a torque converter, and it's easy to overheat.

You just want to create a light load against the drive-train, so that when you get the green you've already taken up all the slack in the drive-train - removing, or at least reducing the snapping acting of quickly releasing that clutch with a bunch of RPM in the car.

You can find good you-tube examples of this approach. It's not for everybody, but you may find it helps reduce that initial shock, and keep the car out of wheel-hop on the initial hit. Wheel hop will break stuff like crazy - that on-off-on-off application of force is incredibly brutal and tears stuff up in a hurry. If it hops, just get out of the throttle, it's not worth it.
I'll make sure to take this into consideration next time if I go thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #24
ZOOK

Drives: 2010 2ss 6 speed

This is what i ended up with
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #25
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Looks good
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #26
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
another cv bites the dust...
Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #27
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post

I don't think that would be a good idea with a manual tranny like he has . You would burn up the clutch pretty quick. Although I am guessing that he has a Manual tranny from his other posts .
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #28
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
another cv bites the dust...
Sooo, is this more common than I'd like to think? Or, is it more common at the strip? And finally, is it more common on a M6?

Tags
axle, broken, differential, racing