Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Guess the SS1LE is just THAT good

Probably preaching to the choir at this point, but i figured i'd share. I scooped a 17 SS 1 LE up last month, changed brake fluid, oil and did a track alignment. I did my first event at my local track in it on Saturday and all i can say is wow. I was quite skeptical on buying a camaro for track use. I read and researched this car to no end, but i couldn't imagine it being faster than my E46 M3 on slicks weighing 2900 lbs. That car was a rocket.

Simply put, I bested my E46 M3 time by a second which i knew that car VERY well, and my e92 m3 time by 2 seconds. All on the first day out, on stock pads. Excited to see what this car can do with more seat time.

My friend and "co driver" bested my times by another second, as he is a much better and more experienced driver than me, and bested his time in my E46 m3 by another second. All around a 1:20 track. Can not believe this car is this good out of the box.

This car is just...better. Better than the E46 TT car, better than my track prepped E90 m3, and better than the C6 Z06 I had for a short while (that was on stock runflats, so i can't really do a FAIR comparison. Well, i guess it is stock for stock, i can!). It stays so poised on track, and instills confidence to drive. The BMW's were great cars, but I can't get over how well this car handles its weight and power.

It was 96 degrees on a muggy day in central Florida, and according to cosworth, my max oil temp was 266, and max water temp was 217. Could not believe i did not have any cooling issues in this muggy heat. We ran 20-30 minute sessions (open track) and the car did not blink.

For anyone on this forum looking into buying these for the track, do not hesitate. Chevy did a great job with this thing. "But it's a camaro" - Says the BMW crowd. Whatever that means, I'm a believer.

I'll get some PDR vids up here soon. Thanks for listening.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Now get used to a lot of Porsche, BMW, Mustang, etc. guys coming up and asking "How do you like your ZL1?" They really get hurt when you tell them it's "just" a SS 1LE.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Now get used to a lot of Porsche, BMW, Mustang, etc. guys coming up and asking "How do you like your ZL1?" They really get hurt when you tell them it's "just" a SS 1LE.
I'm looking forward to it.

Hah, there was only 8 cars on track the other day, 4 being SS 1 LE's. Fortunately my friend and I were the fastest one #HPDEwinner?

That's the same sensation as having the E46. Porsches, vettes, and stangs all got hurt that a 15 year old E46 was that quick.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
These cars are like turning on a cheat mode in a video game.

At my track days, I pass guys almost every lap...and I am not a good driver at all.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Probably preaching to the choir at this point, but i figured i'd share. I scooped a 17 SS 1 LE up last month, changed brake fluid, oil and did a track alignment. I did my first event at my local track in it on Saturday and all i can say is wow. I was quite skeptical on buying a camaro for track use. I read and researched this car to no end, but i couldn't imagine it being faster than my E46 M3 on slicks weighing 2900 lbs. That car was a rocket.

Simply put, I bested my E46 M3 time by a second which i knew that car VERY well, and my e92 m3 time by 2 seconds. All on the first day out, on stock pads. Excited to see what this car can do with more seat time.

My friend and "co driver" bested my times by another second, as he is a much better and more experienced driver than me, and bested his time in my E46 m3 by another second. All around a 1:20 track. Can not believe this car is this good out of the box.

This car is just...better. Better than the E46 TT car, better than my track prepped E90 m3, and better than the C6 Z06 I had for a short while (that was on stock runflats, so i can't really do a FAIR comparison. Well, i guess it is stock for stock, i can!). It stays so poised on track, and instills confidence to drive. The BMW's were great cars, but I can't get over how well this car handles its weight and power.

It was 96 degrees on a muggy day in central Florida, and according to cosworth, my max oil temp was 266, and max water temp was 217. Could not believe i did not have any cooling issues in this muggy heat. We ran 20-30 minute sessions (open track) and the car did not blink.

For anyone on this forum looking into buying these for the track, do not hesitate. Chevy did a great job with this thing. "But it's a camaro" - Says the BMW crowd. Whatever that means, I'm a believer.

I'll get some PDR vids up here soon. Thanks for listening.

Nice review.
So I am blown away with the overall package that ~40K gets you too!
I too hear it from Porsche buddies that have 200K cars. I personally own 2016 GT3 RS and waaaaaay prefer the 40K Camaro on the track. Now keep in mind that Camaro rides on R7 and aggressive alignment but nevertheless.

I was @ NJ Motorsports Park Thunderbolt course and ran low 1.29.
That's booking and guy there with new Porsche 991.2 S was "oh man you go way faster in your RS!" I shook my head, "nope" He replied "oh the car on the internet car magazines are going way faster in the RS" I told him stop reading all the BS on the net!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
I've been asked that so much, it has become a running joke with my sons and buddies. So, I had to do something about it...

I've only towed it out to the track once. Notice anything along the lines of how good the SS 1LE is?
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
Thumbs up

Love that plate
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
These cars are like turning on a cheat mode in a video game.

At my track days, I pass guys almost every lap...and I am not a good driver at all.
First sentence should be Chevrolet's advertising tag line for the Gen 6 Camaros, lol
Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
I've been asked that so much, it has become a running joke with my sons and buddies. So, I had to do something about it...

I've only towed it out to the track once. Notice anything along the lines of how good the SS 1LE is?

Yeah! The Go Pro facing the back
Old 07-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Yeah! The Go Pro facing the back
Yep - and the lack of a ZL1 badge!

By the way, as posted in your thread, love how you car sounds from outside and inside the car! I need to cam mine plus get an external mic, too.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
And the E46 M3 is the best track car BMW has made.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #13
12SilverBulletSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I would have to concur on what you get for the money. I live in Abu Dhabi and do open track days at the Yas Marina Circuit. I have the only 6th gen 1LE in the UAE and I will say out here I am usually in some expensive company. I will make a post about my most recent day later today. On Monday night the following cars were out on the track:

(1) Lamborghini Huracane Performante, (3) New Porsche GT3 RS's (They really like them out here), (1) New Porsche GT3, (1) New Porsche 911 Carrera S, (2) Track cars (They look like mini IMSA race cars), (1) Cadillac ATSV, (1) 2014 Camaro SS, (1) Older 911 race car, (1) 2018 Audi RS3, A Maserati, and a few others I don't remember.

I hold my own against many of them except on the longer straits. Those GT3's really move around a track. I swapped to Motul 660 and got a track alignment. I then took tire temp measurements that I am going to ask you road course folks about, but it is a blast.

The first time I went there was about 60 cars there to include Lotus's, Ferrari's, Corvettes, and Mclarens on top of the above list.
12SilverBulletSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Sleeks

Drives: None
Quote:
I get, "Be honest, what have you done to that thing?" My response, "Brake fluid" They usually don't believe me. And I have very limited track experience.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote