Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #99
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I have no idea how they were marketing cans before DI
No doubt!

I've used them before in high performance turbocharged applications where they were actually necessary, but in a modern engine that doesn't use oil and already has an air/oil separator, and shows no signs of reduced performance due to intake build-up, it seems unnecessary.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #100
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Changing fluids frequently had nothing to do with the amount of oil getting into the intact track. Go take a camera to your intake valves and report back. 100% they are coated. With direct injection, you are getting ZERO fuel sprayed on the valves to help clean them. Over time it WILL reduce performance.

Nobody is forcing you guys to buy a catch can but some of you anti-can guys are like flat earthers trying to convince the world the earth isnt round
Fair comment (about the Earth)

Yep id suspect my valves may be coked some. But my car is not getting any slower based on my new PBs every year lol!

Quality of fluids, incl gas and their intervals absolutely play a dominant role in motor's health. So does driving style and operating habits. Coked valves are a minor inconvenience in comparison to other issues a motor can experience. But some folks latched onto it as if it was the most important aspect of engine heath.

I am very aware of how DI engines perform in commercial fleets, incl police forces, which beat on them for 100k which is a warranty period for most fleets btw.
Then those vehicles get auctioned and enjoyed by civilians.

I personally know 2 guys who own dealerships. I visit them often. Both shops servce tons of DI cars and trucks. The sky isnt falling even tho every year millions of DI motors are sold by various manufacturers. I am not anti cans. I am anti scaring folks by posting selective info. Let's get real. 99.99% of consumers dont know DI from a control arm. They just get in and drive to/from work, etc.

No, DI motors are not ideal. But neither were LS7s...
Btw i did have a can on my Vette. Other than having to empty it weekly it did absoluetly squat for my motor.

Peace!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #101
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
No doubt!

I've used them before in high performance turbocharged applications where they were actually necessary, but in a modern engine that doesn't use oil and already has an air/oil separator, and shows no signs of reduced performance due to intake build-up, it seems unnecessary.
Completely agree with ya and that's consistent with my own experience with DI motors. Both on first hand basis as well as pro service feedback et al. Cheers!
Old 09-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #102
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Snake Oil...move along.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #103
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Snake Oil...move along.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #104
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Fair comment (about the Earth)

Yep id suspect my valves may be coked some. But my car is not getting any slower based on my new PBs every year lol!

Quality of fluids, incl gas and their intervals absolutely play a dominant role in motor's health. So does driving style and operating habits. Coked valves are a minor inconvenience in comparison to other issues a motor can experience. But some folks latched onto it as if it was the most important aspect of engine heath.

I am very aware of how DI engines perform in commercial fleets, incl police forces, which beat on them for 100k which is a warranty period for most fleets btw.
Then those vehicles get auctioned and enjoyed by civilians.

I personally know 2 guys who own dealerships. I visit them often. Both shops servce tons of DI cars and trucks. The sky isnt falling even tho every year millions of DI motors are sold by various manufacturers. I am not anti cans. I am anti scaring folks by posting selective info. Let's get real. 99.99% of consumers dont know DI from a control arm. They just get in and drive to/from work, etc.

No, DI motors are not ideal. But neither were LS7s...
Btw i did have a can on my Vette. Other than having to empty it weekly it did absoluetly squat for my motor.

Peace!
If you had to empty your catch can every week, there was a problem of epic proportions with your engine. That is crazy.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #105
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
If you had to empty your catch can every week, there was a problem of epic proportions with your engine. That is crazy.
I never said it was full. The point is the car ran fine without one for its first 10 years. It is still going strong as a track car 6 yrs later. Without one now.