Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #113
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
But how many will want a track car with creature comforts? You are already dealing with a small selection of drivers who care only about track performance. There are more that care about straight line in the US which is why the Hellcat has been better selling. Once Ford releases the GT500, GT350 sales will dry up I'm willing to bet, except for those solely after the track times.
It will be interesting to see. I just think Ford is doing it right, by giving more options than GM did with the Z/28. If I was spending that kind of coin on a car, it would be nice to get the creature comforts.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #114
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
The 5th gen Z/28 will always be remembered. Remembered for going up against and beating some of the more expensive sport cars, making it one of the best bang, if not THE best, performance car, for the money. To me anyway. When ever a car maker builds a new product, it's not just to replace the old, but to make it better also. Some people will be satisfied with what they bought, and some will be disappointed, but that's business. Just sayin.

Except, very few bought them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #115
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
The only reasoning behind the 5th Z/28 was for advertisement to retro and show what they're capable of doing with an American car. Now the 6th, they'll make one that probably hits 7:31 at Nurburgring. Whatever it does it'll make the 5th gen a forgotten product.
The 5th gen went 7:31 according to Al O.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #116
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
I say...release it as a Trans Am.

Don't have Pontiac badging, but replace the Chevy/Camaro badging with Firebird/Screaming Chicken shaped emblems.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #117
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
There was a Z/28R in 2014 that was for racing only. Not sure about 2015.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrol...-ar162050.html
Not developed by GM or built at the factory.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #118
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
It will be interesting to see. I just think Ford is doing it right, by giving more options than GM did with the Z/28. If I was spending that kind of coin on a car, it would be nice to get the creature comforts.
I agree completely. Options and choices are always better for the consumer. I'm betting we will see more packages like the C7 ZO6 and GT350 for the next Z/28.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #119
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I agree completely. Options and choices are always better for the consumer. I'm betting we will see more packages like the C7 ZO6 and GT350 for the next Z/28.

choices are always great
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #120
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Yes - a car for the rest of us that are just focused on the driving and track potential. Engine must be NA, with a durable high rpm valvetrain. Please put in aggressive gearing. Just a track app, manual recaros ready for a 5 point harness, and a basic stereo inside. AC can be optional but I'll order it. Put some round headlights like a '67.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #121
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
No, Al said telemetry suggested the car would do 7:31, not that it ever actually did it.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #122
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
No, Al said telemetry suggested the car would do 7:31, not that it ever actually did it.
I didn't see anything about telemetry but there is this. Has Ford taken ownership of the 7:32 time or is it just a Horsepowerking thing?
Quote:
AO: We did, but the way that Nürburgring works during industry pool weeks, which are a few times a year, is, all manufacturers go and you get to do all your testing closed to the public. One of the gentlemen’s agreements is they don’t allow cameras during the day, because while we might have production Z/28s over there, Mercedes or Range Rover or Porsche, they might have something camouflaged. Everyone is sharing the track. To do a fast hot lap, you really need the track cleared, so what they do is every day at 5:10 p.m., they shut the track entrance down. It takes on average, 9 to 10 minutes to get around the track. So if you’re going to do a hot lap, you’ve got from 10 after 5 to about 5:30 p.m. and then they open the track up to the public. During the day, sometimes you get these periods where there’s not a lot of activity on the track and you can run laps, but no cameras. We’ve actually run Z/28 times that are significantly faster than the one we published in the video, but we respect the gentlemen’s agreement, and to protect our integrity, we don’t publish a time that we can’t verify with a video. We could have easily done that. Unfortunately, when we were there, it rained, literally every day at 5 o’clock. You’d see the clouds roll in at 5 o’clock. The day Adam ran that [for the video], I wasn’t even aware it was raining on his side of the track and when he came back in and we watched the video, our jaws dropped. But the fact of the matter is, we’ve run much faster times, we just don’t have the video to stand behind it publically. Hypothetically, if someone wanted to lay claim that they ran a 7.32 at the Nürburgring ring, um, the fact that we were there at the same time and we know who ran at 10 after 5 every day, it might put it into question if that was real. Especially if the manufacturer didn’t stand behind it. Just sayin’. [Editor’s note: If you didn’t catch that little jab, rumors have been circulating online that the Mustang GT350R ran a 7:32.19, uncomfirmed by Ford.]

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/features/1506-...#ixzz3c2w9UshF
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 06-03-2015 at 07:42 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #123
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
According to yet never documented? Seems a little fishy. I'd understand 7:35 in dry perfect conditions, may be7:34 but I don't think 6 full seconds faster. If so 6th gen will hit 7:25/26

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #124
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis43 View Post
Except, very few bought them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes If Chevy wanted to sell a bunch of LS7s they could have made the Z/28 an option on top of a 1LE starting with the LS7, the ZL1 brakes, and the Z/28 wheels and tires. The big brakes, shocks, and diff would be a separate option.

Of course then the base Z/28 would not be much faster on the first few laps than a ZL1, it would cost more, and the Z/28 would be less special.

The Z/28 was not driven by bean counters and marketing execs, it was a product of pure automotive passion. Respect Chevrolet.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #125

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I didn't see anything about telemetry but there is this. Has Ford taken ownership of the 7:32 time or is it just a Horsepowerking thing?
I think the Ford time never happened....It's only on that one website, which doesn't look very official....

Here's the other Wiki site that lists times....and the Ford is not listed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #126
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Not in that reference, but in this one he did:

Quote:
"One of the challenges of testing at the 'Ring is that the track is so long that conditions can change radically in a single lap," said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. "Based on telemetry data from our test sessions, we know the Z/28 can be as much as six seconds faster on a dry track."
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev...rburgring.html

As for the supposed GT350R time, even if it were true, we'd never know it because, up to this point, Ford does not play the 'Ring time marketing game, so they will never officially validate it.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote