AWE Tuning

Old 11-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #1233
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Not one single person complained...

If folks in this thread can't at least post respectfully toward others who may have different views, you will be gone.

Carry on...
I thought the post differentiating the US from the rest of the world was spot on.
Is that being disrespectful?

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:53 AM   #1234
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
I thought the post differentiating the US from the rest of the world was spot on.
Is that being disrespectful?
No, but name calling and telling other people to gtfo the forums because their view is different from yours is disrespectful. But let's not get into any of there here.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:08 PM   #1235
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Ok I promise to be nice……

I think the gist of my post was that the EV market should evolve naturally, as the market demand dictates. Not by policy. And if the market caps at say 10% over the next 10 years, that would give all the car companies in the world a much better spreadsheet to calculate their budgets.

Right now they don’t know how much to spend on what, and worse they might have already spent more on development that they’ll see in return.

Just let the market dictate what they produce, and if the market is so low that they cannot produce EVs in a cost effective manner than either they’ll only be for the rich or car companies will have to change focus.

Hybrids should definitely be revisited now.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:19 PM   #1236
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
What I didnt expect is people actually believe they "dont need to try an EV to know they suck", dont consider cheaper, cleaner fuel as a good thing or just cant accept the rest of the world is moving forward with this even if you, on a personal or national level, arent.
Literally ZERO about EV vehicles that's cleaner/cheaper..... the concept that they are is just fictional. Perhaps if we had better sources of energy such as nuclear to provide said energy, it might be a different story.

That said, the current state of EV in the real world is fire hazards, lack of reliability for charging, lack of real world use charging, and most importantly, the lack of legitimate recycling for the EV batteries.

No one in their right mind is dropping 20-25-30k to replace a battery in an EV when they can spend fractions of that to replace an ICE engine.

EVs certainly deserve to be at the table, and certainly we should all be looking for better/more reliable, more renewable sources of energy to drive our vehicles. However, the lack of effort being made to even really consider Hydrogen while pushing for these very dangerous EV cars is insanity.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #1237
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post

Hybrids should definitely be revisited now.
Yes! Hybrid ARE THE BEST ANSWER FOR NOW!

Full EV only IS NOT! Sure...make some full EVs, but we should not be looking to convert an entire brand line of vehicles to all electric (looking at you gm). Hybrids can work FOR EVERYONE and will slash the use of gas and carbon emissions immediately. Develop the battery tech through the manufacturing of hybrids.

The argument full EV against range anxiety is always "well how often do you need to travel more than a few hundred miles anyways?" Let's take that further and just do hybrids with small batteries with ranges of 40 - 60 miles. It would still achieve the goal of zero or near zero emissions in daily use and no range anxiety at all. It would work for all types of vehicles also no matter the category.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:48 PM   #1238
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
No, but name calling and telling other people to gtfo the forums because their view is different from yours is disrespectful. But let's not get into any of there here.
Exactly... plus post history and infraction history others can't see.

This thread is all about 2 different views so carry on with the debate... we all learn from it... but it's not going to degrade into personal attacks.

Old 11-03-2023, 02:58 PM   #1239
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Agree 100%, but since that is the common sense solution it will never happen... common sense now being a superpower which few possess.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 03:09 PM   #1240
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
I told you, Im on this forum as I own a Camaro.
Im on this thread as I thought some actual, real life experience of EV ownership might counterbalance the inaccuracies being posted, I probably should have realised I was wasting my time when people started arguing with actual sales figures

What I didnt expect is people actually believe they "dont need to try an EV to know they suck", dont consider cheaper, cleaner fuel as a good thing or just cant accept the rest of the world is moving forward with this even if you, on a personal or national level, arent.

Maybe youre right and the USA just isnt ever going to get the EV thing. Maybe the rest of the world will realise our mistake and swap cars for pickup trucks, who knows?
I posted a “real life experience “ …

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...postcount=1267

What say you? …
Old 11-03-2023, 03:43 PM   #1241
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Im on this thread as I thought some actual, real life experience of EV ownership might counterbalance the inaccuracies being posted
Some of those inaccuracies are actually accurate for their areas. For example, try driving from NYC to LA with an EV - you're most likely not going to get to use the shortest route.

Where you live (state), the city you live in, and where you tend to drive are all factors that dictate EV life. It may be inaccurate where you live/use it, but it could be a reality for those elsewhere.

Obviously, if something is 1000% wrong, we have to call it out (whether we want to or not). However, we also have to remember that both things can be true at the same time depending on factors...

Sorry, I meant to add this earlier and just realized I forgot to click submit lol
Old 11-03-2023, 05:32 PM   #1242
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Full EV only IS NOT!
okay, that solves some of the range anxiety and charging availability issues...

What does it do to affordability with two powertrains in a vehicle and a complicated electronic setup to seamlessly switch between the two? 25% increase in MSRP? Reduced reliablity with twice as much stuff to go wrong? Would all the OEMs still have to pay Elan/Tesla for doing nothing to obtain some imaginary carbon credits? What do you do with car with a hybrid car with ICE that goes for 20 years and 250k miles, when the hybrid battery craps out after 8-10 years? You get an ICE car's reliability with an EV's accelerated depreciation schedule? (sign me up! ...or not)

Affordability is already becoming a real problem.

Hopefully an American OEM reads the current conditions and makes few modestly priced sedans and hatchbacks again. Basic ICE transportation, sub $30k. We'll probably never see a full size truck under $45k again. The regulatory state is trying to limit the mobility of the middle class while demonizing it for "ruining the planet".
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 04:58 AM   #1243
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Literally ZERO about EV vehicles that's cleaner/cheaper..... the concept that they are is just fictional. Perhaps if we had better sources of energy such as nuclear to provide said energy, it might be a different story.
Ill forgive you for not reading the last 92 pages in full , but at the moment 30% of energy production in the UK (where I charge my EV) is solar, wind or hydro, Norway is currently > 98%.
Its about 10% of the cost to fill a similar sized car with gas and renewable power is cheaper to produce in general, I have friends with solar panels and power banks that are effectively charging their cars for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0
I posted a “real life experience “ …

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...postcount=1267

What say you? …
I say 2 things: I struggle to believe Amazon spec vehicles that run out of charge before they can complete their deliveries - seems they have a 150 mile range, surely you can plan that in?
That said I can totally accept the drivers would prefer ICE vans but they arent the guys paying to fuel them or attempting to make their company environmentally friendly, the screen controls and braking arent an EV issue.
FWIW the Royal Mail here have transitioned to EVs and logistic companies are adopting them too.

Last edited by docwra; 11-04-2023 at 05:35 AM.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:03 AM   #1244
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
I say 2 things: I struggle to believe Amazon spec vehicles that run out of charge before they can complete their deliveries - seems they have a 150 mile range, surely you can plan that in?
That said I can totally accept the drivers would prefer ICE vans but they arent the guys paying to fuel them or attempting to make their company environmentally friendly, the screen controls and braking arent an EV issue.
FWIW the Royal Mail here have transitioned to EVs and logistic companies are adopting them too.
You struggle to believe? … nuff said.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:12 PM   #1245
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Ill forgive you for not reading the last 92 pages in full , but at the moment 30% of energy production in the UK (where I charge my EV) is solar, wind or hydro, Norway is currently > 98%.
Its about 10% of the cost to fill a similar sized car with gas and renewable power is cheaper to produce in general, I have friends with solar panels and power banks that are effectively charging their cars for free.
I wasn't referring to the ways to generate electricity, I was referring to the vehicles themselves. Further, you're comparing one country that's basically an island and another which has about the same amount of people living in it as there are living in Los Angeles.

It's great that we are finding things that work in areas, but in general, it's not. That's the truly bigger issue. I've long said I don't understand why new buildings, especially warehouses, aren't required to have solar panels on the roofs. I'm also at a loss as to why we're not using solar panel style shingles on homes in deserts and other places...
Old 11-04-2023, 04:11 PM   #1246
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
Ban EV’s
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote