Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

AWE Tuning

Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #1149
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Mmmmmm that drive is going to suck... and you would only have one toll each way if you get off at 249. If you get the tag it is $1.30 instead of 1.50 so your bill would be ~55 per month IF you took it everyday. You'd save that much is gas on 1960 with all the lights and traffic.

Even if you don't use it for work commute you will still want a tag living here. Otherwise you will have to stop and wait in line to pay cash each time instead of blowing through at 70mph...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #1150
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Mmmmmm that drive is going to suck... and you would only have one toll each way if you get off at 249. If you get the tag it is $1.30 instead of 1.50 so your bill would be ~55 per month IF you took it everyday. You'd save that much is gas on 1960 with all the lights and traffic.

Even if you don't use it for work commute you will still want a tag living here. Otherwise you will have to stop and wait in line to pay cash each time instead of blowing through at 70mph...
Do they let you have a speed pass for motorcycles? Im gonna blast to work a few days a week when its dry on the R1. Can you have multiple passes on different vehicles, tied to one account?
casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #1151
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by casvg5 View Post
DAMN! 20 bucks a week to drive on a road? Seriously?? Thats damn near $100 a month just for using a highway?
What are your work hours? That route is not bad except in the late afternoon. BTW.... Welcome to Houston. You need to remember Rudy's BBQ which is just north of where you are leaving. Nothing better than meat on paper in a gas station!

Where did you go to school in MO? I went to St. Louis University.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #1152
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
The route you posted and the one going down to I45 to the tollway are your two best choices. Both will work fine. Try them both and figure out if paying tolls is worth the (potential) time and gas saved. There is a third choice and that is to go south on I45 but run the access road for the tollway. I know a lot of people do this to save the tolls but there are a few lights on this route to slow you down.

I live and office off of 1960 and it's not too bad except for afternoon rush hour and during the Christmas holidays around the mall. I occasionally hang out at a couple of bars on your route so if you're up for a beer after work, let's have a cold one.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #1153
Doubleblank

Using Bing maps the faster route is using the tollway but also the longer route by 2.3 miles. Since you said you're counting the pennies........factoring in fuel economies, etc, I'd guess the route along FM1960 will cost you an additional $0.75 in gas and 20 minutes r/t travel time per day. Versus saving 20 mins total travel time and spending $3.00 in tolls. So now that I have bored everyone looking at this (I am an engineer):

Traveling the 1960 route will save you $2.25 per day (net tolls vs fuel economy), put 4.6 fewer miles per day on your car but add 20 minutes of commute time (assuming I45 and the tollway are moving nicely.....not a good assumption during rush hour).

Traveling the I45/tollway route will cost you $2.25 (net additional expense), put more miles on your car but potentially save you 20 minutes of commute time. I have to emphesize the "potential" time savings as the I45/tollway interchange can be a bear.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #1154
MrandMrsNinja

Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
Quote:
Thank you everyone. I ended up moving a bit further away from work, about 20 minutes. Found a nice place around 1960 and 45. Anyone close?
right down the road from my office. I live on the south side though. About 10 minutes from Galveston in Dickinson.

Quote:
Is that for the tollway? How does that work? We do not have an toll roads in missouri
the tollway is a way for our great state to tax us for no reason. The road is paid for now. Just another way for the city to collect.

Quote:
Do they let you have a speed pass for motorcycles? Im gonna blast to work a few days a week when its dry on the R1. Can you have multiple passes on different vehicles, tied to one account?
yeah, you can tie your EZ Tag to your bike and to the Camaro. Seperate tags on both though. I have one on my BMW and Camaro.

I would suggest staying on main lanes around this area. I have a girl who works with me that takes 1960 from 45 and it takes her almost 30 minutes just to get to 249 and Cypresswood (a little north of 1960). I know the tolls add up, but what you save in gas and time makes up for it. Especially when you're on your bike. I would suggest sticking to the beltway and 45. I'm 23, so i know all about tryin to pinch pennies but IMO at the end of the day spending an extra hour in traffic every day isn't worth it to me.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #1155
MrandMrsNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Using Bing maps the faster route is using the tollway but also the longer route by 2.3 miles. Since you said you're counting the pennies........factoring in fuel economies, etc, I'd guess the route along FM1960 will cost you an additional $0.75 in gas and 20 minutes r/t travel time per day. Versus saving 20 mins total travel time and spending $3.00 in tolls. So now that I have bored everyone looking at this (I am an engineer):

Traveling the 1960 route will save you $2.25 per day (net tolls vs fuel economy), put 4.6 fewer miles per day on your car but add 20 minutes of commute time (assuming I45 and the tollway are moving nicely.....not a good assumption during rush hour).

Traveling the I45/tollway route will cost you $2.25 (net additional expense), put more miles on your car but potentially save you 20 minutes of commute time. I have to emphesize the "potential" time savings as the I45/tollway interchange can be a bear.
did you take into account the traffic and lights that will be on 1960 during rush hour?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #1156
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
What are your work hours? That route is not bad except in the late afternoon. BTW.... Welcome to Houston. You need to remember Rudy's BBQ which is just north of where you are leaving. Nothing better than meat on paper in a gas station!

Where did you go to school in MO? I went to St. Louis University.

Went to Rolla. Hope to see you guys soon!
casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #1157
ALBOE

Drives: Camaro LS
Quote:
Thank you everyone. I ended up moving a bit further away from work, about 20 minutes. Found a nice place around 1960 and 45. Anyone close?
I live 10ish minutes away from 45 and 1960 @ hardy toll rd and 45
I work on 1960
ALBOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #1158
Doubleblank

As for the timing, yes, I looked at transit times during traffic using Bing. I looked at traffic on both routes using Google Maps too. I also travel on FM1960 daily so I do know the average travel times. When both routes are moving, there is no doubt I45/Beltway will be faster. But I've been caught up in the Beltway/I45 connection many times and it is stop-and-go during rush hour too.

I believe the 1960 route will add 10 minutes each way on average.......more during non-rush hour and less during bad rush hours.

When I looked at it again, another route came to mind. Run along the tollroad feeder to Bammel-North Houston and take it up to FM1960. This cuts another .2 miles off the trip and Bammel-N Houston moves good all the time.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #1159
concrete jungle
Hitman

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Don't miss Houston traffic, but miss all the great car event's. I'll look you up when I come to town.

Build your dream one day at a time . . . I did . . .
https://www.facebook.com/tonyrowe1966

*Caution ~ side effects may include soiled underwear if trajectory isn't kept straight...
concrete jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #1160
Hennesseyrgv
CAMARO5LINE FOUNDER

Drives: Hennessey HPE650
I will be in town Saturday night
Hennesseyrgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #1161
MrandMrsNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
As for the timing, yes, I looked at transit times during traffic using Bing. I looked at traffic on both routes using Google Maps too. I also travel on FM1960 daily so I do know the average travel times. When both routes are moving, there is no doubt I45/Beltway will be faster. But I've been caught up in the Beltway/I45 connection many times and it is stop-and-go during rush hour too.

I believe the 1960 route will add 10 minutes each way on average.......more during non-rush hour and less during bad rush hours.

When I looked at it again, another route came to mind. Run along the tollroad feeder to Bammel-North Houston and take it up to FM1960. This cuts another .2 miles off the trip and Bammel-N Houston moves good all the time.
45 traffic can be the worst i don't know what it is about connection points that make people forget how to drive

lucky for me i'm always going against the flow or in the HOV.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #1162
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Quote:
I think Ill take this route, im fresh outta college, gotta save my pennies. I guess im spoiled up here in missouri. But hey, we pay state income tax and you guys dont.
Nope....no state income tax, but we do pay property taxes.....so it's a wash.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote