Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #99
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
That should have said 3 year residual value.

I'm in that very situation now. I bought a car that I thought I would be happy with, and have regretted the decision since the moment I left the car lot. Now that I'm not taking an absolute bath on the sale of the car, it's time to move on.
Yes. Out of principle, I'll be locking myself in for a minimum of 5 years on whichever car I choose. Any depreciation in that time frame I will gladly deal with. And I will try to make sure I avoid the bath as well.
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #100
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 6 View Post
but I am guessing the Vette may hold it's value better 10 years out compared to the Camaro.
Your guess is absolutely correct, look at per-owned Vettes and Camaros and see how little a Vettle looses V.S. Camaro. Ask any Chevy dealer and will tell you the same.

If you have a DD car, get A Vette for weekends and you will love her every time you get in (just watch the knees as we discussed before).

There is another issue to consider. C8 (mid engine) is on it's way. The moment that car is officially announced by GM, the C7 will take a huge dive to it's major change compared to C6/C7. It's good and bad. You can buy a C7 at a great price at that time but it also looses value a lot more as well.
When C6 came out, C5 took a huge hit but C6 didn't take as much hit when C7 came out.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #101
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Your guess is absolutely correct, look at per-owned Vettes and Camaros and see how little a Vettle looses V.S. Camaro. Ask any Chevy dealer and will tell you the same.

If you have a DD car, get A Vette for weekends and you will love her every time you get in (just watch the knees as we discussed before).

There is another issue to consider. C8 (mid engine) is on it's way. The moment that car is officially announced by GM, the C7 will take a huge dive to it's major change compared to C6/C7. It's good and bad. You can buy a C7 at a great price at that time but it also looses value a lot more as well.
When C6 came out, C5 took a huge hit but C6 didn't take as much hit when C7 came out.
That's an interesting option to consider, although I don't know if I can wait that long. I have about 1 more year of patience in me and that may be it.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #102
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Quote:
Great writeup. Your quote below gets down to my use for whichever car I purchase:

.For a short range commuter, weekend fun car, track car it'd be a tough choice.

Therein lies my conundrum.
Only one way for you to decide then. Have to test drive both - you'll know after that. I never understand folks that decide after sitting in one. You don't know squat sitting in one. Can drive a Z51 now. Will have to be patient to drive a 2016 camaro. Or - find a ZL1 to drive - may fall in love with that as well.

Good luck. Nice problem to have
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #103
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyp View Post
Only one way for you to decide then. Have to test drive both - you'll know after that. I never understand folks that decide after sitting in one. You don't know squat sitting in one. Can drive a Z51 now. Will have to be patient to drive a 2016 camaro. Or - find a ZL1 to drive - may fall in love with that as well.

Good luck. Nice problem to have
You're right. Test driving both is a must.

I have done all the research and have had the help of the good members here to fill in the rest of the info. I'm counting on the test drive to be the separator.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #104
Z_Rocks

Quote:
That's an interesting option to consider, although I don't know if I can wait that long. I have about 1 more year of patience in me and that may be it.
One more year waiting, will let you test the new ZL1, which is the best of both worlds.

I saw a 5th gen ZL1 yesterday who was making a left turn on an intersection with a green arrow light. I was in the middle waiting at red. For him to make that green, he had to do at least 70 mph to catch it before going orange and as he was making that 90 degree turn, I thought he would be sliding to right and hitting the car next to him. To my surprise, he made it perfectly with those massive tires and awesome suspension. I was very impressed to see that size and weight car glued to the ground.

I've seen two spy videos of an upcoming cars. One is N/A which I think will be Z/28 and the other one is S/C which I think will be ZL1.

So, soon you will have two choices.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #105
tuckermaclain

Drives: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V coupe
Thought I wanted a C7 until I sat in one. Too low, too narrow of an interior, and too cocoon-like for me to be comfy. The Camaro5 felt more like a "normal" car. I guess I just liked the idea of having a Vette more than actually sitting in one. Only question for me now is do I wait for the ZL1.
tuckermaclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #106
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckermaclain View Post
Thought I wanted a C7 until I sat in one. Too low, too narrow of an interior, and too cocoon-like for me to be comfy. The Camaro5 felt more like a "normal" car. I guess I just liked the idea of having a Vette more than actually sitting in one. Only question for me now is do I wait for the ZL1.
With ZL1, you get the power and suspension of Z06 with the comfort of the Camaro. We should now about the ZL1 pretty soon in Jan.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #107
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckermaclain View Post
That's funny, those things you describe are actually what I love about the Corvette. I drove a C7 a few weeks ago and I felt like I was wearing the car, not sitting in it. I loved it because it felt far from a "normal" car, like I thought it should. With that being said, I still love the Camaro and can't wait to see what kind of performance the ZL1 will bring to the table to roughly the cost of a Corvette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
With ZL1, you get the power and suspension of Z06 with the comfort of the Camaro. We should now about the ZL1 pretty soon in Jan.
Can't wait to learn about the new ZL1. If it wasn't for the overheating problems the LT4 is having in the Z06, it would be a no brainer for me.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #108
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I have had two 5th Gen Camaros and 7 Corvettes in my, admittedly, long life time and have enjoyed all of them. When the Camaros were some of the first seen in my home town, everybody turned heads to look. Parking the car was an instantaneous one car car show. 3 years later, the excitement kinda' waned, but my 6 year old C6 Corvette never ceased drawing attention and people still come over to get a closer look at my almost 6 year old Grand Sport.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either car. A year after the 6th Gen Camaro begins delivery, I'm believing there will be so many of them on the road in all of it's indistinguishable guises, that a Corvette will give you a greater feeling of distinction, more head turns and bigger smiles from on lookers. Two-three year old used Corvettes are the automotive bargain of any year and resale has always been excellent. If you've never owned a Vette...give it a try.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #109
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
That's funny, those things you describe are actually what I love about the Corvette. I drove a C7 a few weeks ago and I felt like I was wearing the car, not sitting in it. I loved it because it felt far from a "normal" car, like I thought it should. With that being said, I still love the Camaro and can't wait to see what kind of performance the ZL1 will bring to the table to roughly the cost of a Corvette.

Can't wait to learn about the new ZL1. If it wasn't for the overheating problems the LT4 is having in the Z06, it would be a no brainer for me.
The ZL1 has come up more than a few times in this thread. If I'm turning over all the stones, I should probably flip this one as well. As if the two car decision isn't enough.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #110
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I have had two 5th Gen Camaros and 7 Corvettes in my, admittedly, long life time and have enjoyed all of them. When the Camaros were some of the first seen in my home town, everybody turned heads to look. Parking the car was an instantaneous one car car show. 3 years later, the excitement kinda' waned, but my 6 year old C6 Corvette never ceased drawing attention and people still come over to get a closer look at my almost 6 year old Grand Sport.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either car. A year after the 6th Gen Camaro begins delivery, I'm believing there will be so many of them on the road in all of it's indistinguishable guises, that a Corvette will give you a greater feeling of distinction, more head turns and bigger smiles from on lookers. Two-three year old used Corvettes are the automotive bargain of any year and resale has always been excellent. If you've never owned a Vette...give it a try.
A Corvette is definitely a different type of car. All of the tangible things that make it different are what attracts me. The attention it may draw is something I may not want.

For that reason, I may hesitate to take the Vette places that the Camaro would go without giving it a thought.

I guess that's my own neurosis I would have to deal with if I go Vette.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #111
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
If you've got the anticipated $65,000ish that a new ZL1 will probably come in at...I'd absolutely wait.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #112
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
If you've got the anticipated $65,000ish that a new ZL1 will probably come in at...I'd absolutely wait.
A Z51 2LT with MRC and navi can be had for 64k right now so that's a wash.

I'm a guy that likes to cover all bases when I buy anything, and you ZL1 guys have really put a fly in the ointment.