Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #99
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Hmmm....just did a cursory goolge search on GM's new 8 spd auto and it's not exactly trouble free. I'm not getting into the auto vs. manual debate on the merrits of each. Drive what you like better. But I still don't trust a GM auto tranny as far as I can spit. No I'm not a Ford or Dodge fan boy either. Just making a statement on personal experience.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #100
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
anyone know what manual trans+clutch the 6th gen will have? tremec 6060 is trash

anyways....I comute to nyc and westchester vice versa and no problem with the manual, traffic is a breeze if you know how to drive. pls...so everyone bashing manuals just admit you dont know how to push the man pedal
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #101
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
anyone know what manual trans+clutch the 6th gen will have? tremec 6060 is trash

anyways....I comute to nyc and westchester vice versa and no problem with the manual, traffic is a breeze if you know how to drive. pls...so everyone bashing manuals just admit you dont know how to push the man pedal
And so it begins...

2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #102
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post

I could care less about traffic. I care more about the HALF A SECOND the "man" pedal will cost me.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #103
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Got through two pages of "manual's are harder to drive" before I had to stop.

They aren't hard to drive. At all. In fact, it's incredibly simple. So simple that it isn't a bragging point or something to be so proud of that you look down on those that don't. It's not better performance-wise and you won't have better timing than the computer will. These aren't the automatics of 30 years ago.

If you want to feel busy while driving, or if you want it for nostalgia reasons I totally understand. I enjoy driving a manual sometimes, but for my daily driver I would never consider it. If I was driving for times/performance I would never consider it. For a weekend toy? Sure, why not.

I'll likely purchase the A8.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #104
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Got through two pages of "manual's are harder to drive" before I had to stop.

They aren't hard to drive. At all. In fact, it's incredibly simple. So simple that it isn't a bragging point or something to be so proud of that you look down on those that don't. It's not better performance-wise and you won't have better timing than the computer will. These aren't the automatics of 30 years ago.

If you want to feel busy while driving, or if you want it for nostalgia reasons I totally understand. I enjoy driving a manual sometimes, but for my daily driver I would never consider it. If I was driving for times/performance I would never consider it. For a weekend toy? Sure, why not.

I'll likely purchase the A8.
Well said. When I buy it will be the Lt4 version. A weekend/track toy. I'm not concerned by traffic,gas, or anything else. I have driven a stick most of my adult life. I just can't swallow the loss in performance to row gears. If performance was totally equal it would be a stick without a doubt. But with this technology I don't know if I can buy a stick just so others would be impressed ?? Or I would feel more like a man. Lmao. I'll feel more like a man running 9's in an auto.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #105
Arrow signs

Drives: Chevy Duramax
My last car was a EVO with a Manuel Trans. The car was lots of fun but lots of work to "row". This time around I'm going Auto. Major damage to the left leg after crashing my motorcycle makes the decision easy for me.
Arrow signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #106
Insidian

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/RS NPP RRM
I'd grab a manual, no doubt. Honestly though, this manual vs auto discussion could go on endlessly, there's no clear choice. It all boils down to personal preference. Everyone buys a car for different reasons, everyone has different levels of driving skill, and different comfort zones. There's no right or wrong.

Personally, I love a manual. I've been driving manuals pretty much as long as I've been able to legally drive, which is 25 years or so. My company vehicle is an automatic, and I hate it. I'm always in a hurry to get where I'm going, or get back to the office, just so I can stop driving. When I get in the Camaro, though, I'm always finding a reason to go somewhere. Take the scenic route to the grocery store, find a reason to go somewhere else on the way back, just because I LOVE driving the car. Sometimes I find myself driving around for an hour or two, just because I don't want to stop. I love the feeling of power and control I get when I switch off the nannies and start shifting gears. Freaking awesome. Automatics just don't do that for me.

But that's me, that's my personal preference. And that's what matters at the end of the day, the persons preference. As long as they are happy, then the right decision was made.
Apex Catch Can - to be installed
Insidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #107
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I love shifting gears but if the trans is decent I might go auto this time.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #108
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I think I'll go with the the auto this time. (bye bye Hurst shifter)
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #109
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
I could care less about traffic. I care more about the HALF A SECOND the "man" pedal will cost me.
What will it cost you exactly?

Around a road course the slushbox will cost you many seconds.

At the drag strip, the fastest stock 5th Gen is a manual. Just like the fastest stock 4th Gen was a manual. The fastest stock 6th Gen in time will likely be a manual as well because of the 20-30rwhp the slushbox will cost you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

What about the continuous 1 mpg the slushbox will cost you? And the much greater vulnerability of parts failure with an auto? And the lack of power on demand? The lack of control?

I don't know, if you're running 10's or higher just learn how to drive the car?

Autos have come a long way, but there's something about being able to drive the car and not have the car drive you. Why base your decision around a place your car will almost never, ever be (the track)? Meh.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #110
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
What will it cost you exactly?

Around a road course the slushbox will cost you many seconds.

At the drag strip, the fastest stock 5th Gen is a manual. Just like the fastest stock 4th Gen was a manual. The fastest stock 6th Gen in time will likely be a manual as well because of the 20-30rwhp the slushbox will cost you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

What about the continuous 1 mpg the slushbox will cost you? And the much greater vulnerability of parts failure with an auto? And the lack of power on demand? The lack of control?

I don't know, if you're running 10's or higher just learn how to drive the car?

Autos have come a long way, but there's something about being able to drive the car and not have the car drive you. Why base your decision around a place your car will almost never, ever be (the track)? Meh.
Not to be rude..your knowledge and experience with modern automatics are very very sorely lacking.

These are not the TH350's and TH400's of old or the 4L60E's, these are supremely modern, extremely fast shifting units. These transmissions shift in the realm of 200 milliseconds, which is actually faster than the DCT from the 911.

Things change, technology evolves and things move forward. The fastest Hellcats are autos, the fastest 392 Challengers are autos, the fastest 5.0 Mustangs are autos.

I know for many the automatic vs manual debate is a very, very emotional issue, and that is how most people think in the process, emotionally. The days of the automatic being slower are done, and have been for a while now.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #111
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If your priority is straight line performance, obviously the 8A is the better choice for you. Modern autos are clearly better for the 1/4 mile.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #112
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
my 2010 is auto and i love it but i want to return to a manual.