Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #99
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadkev View Post
yes been there did not drive FWD car until 1986.
I was disappointed that I could not do doughnuts any longer in the snow. lol
I hope to have my Camaro soon (built on Dec2nd) so I can do 360's in the snow again.

I guess some people never grow up.
Make sure you turn off the stability control. I forgot to, and the car stopped me from spinning. Then I turned off the t/c and stability control and pulled a perfect 180. It was great.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #100
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemo View Post
Make sure you turn off the stability control. I forgot to, and the car stopped me from spinning. Then I turned off the t/c and stability control and pulled a perfect 180. It was great.
cant wait to show my kids how much fun we had driving RWD cars in the snow.
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #101
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Since we are all talking about winter duty in our Camaros, why don't we add some tips for undercarriage care? I have done some light searching of the interwebs to find out what we can do to protect our cars from the chemicals used to treat wintery roads. 1- Wash your car immediately after a snow storm. When I say immediately I mean when it is safe to do so and preferably once the temps climb above freezing. Use a car wash that has an undercarriage spray. This is by far the easiest solution. If you wouldn't dare take your car to a barbaric car wash, even if it is touchless, then you may need to go to a detail shop that can lift "your precious" and power wash the underneath. 2- Pre-treat your baby's bottom with a coating designed to act as a barrier between your car and the salt. This seems to be a bit on the extreme side to me but it will probably provide a good defense against corrosion if you can't manage to clean your car after the snow has fallen and melted away. I'm sure there are others who have even more answers than that and I encourage them to chime in. If I'm wrong on any of this just remember, I did a light search on the Googles for some info to pass on. Happy roading, can't wait for next summer.
Gen5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #102
Lurkertill03/10/2016

Drives: Soon to be a Camaro
Just my two cents but putting your car away for the winter is like buying a brand new expensive coffee maker but putting it away and not using it because it's not the season.

Coffee tastes good any day of any season

Plus, these things have a life span and they will wear over time so why not enjoy it while it's still new and baby it when it's seen it's days in the sun 8-10 years from now
Lurkertill03/10/2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #103
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkertill03/10/2016 View Post
Just my two cents but putting your car away for the winter is like buying a brand new expensive coffee maker but putting it away and not using it because it's not the season.

Plus, these things have a life span and they will wear over time so why not enjoy it while it's still new and baby it when it's seen it's days in the sun 8-10 years from now

THIS RIGHT HUR!!!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #104
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5er View Post
Since we are all talking about winter duty in our Camaros, why don't we add some tips for undercarriage care? I have done some light searching of the interwebs to find out what we can do to protect our cars from the chemicals used to treat wintery roads. 1- Wash your car immediately after a snow storm. When I say immediately I mean when it is safe to do so and preferably once the temps climb above freezing. Use a car wash that has an undercarriage spray. This is by far the easiest solution. If you wouldn't dare take your car to a barbaric car wash, even if it is touchless, then you may need to go to a detail shop that can lift "your precious" and power wash the underneath. 2- Pre-treat your baby's bottom with a coating designed to act as a barrier between your car and the salt. This seems to be a bit on the extreme side to me but it will probably provide a good defense against corrosion if you can't manage to clean your car after the snow has fallen and melted away. I'm sure there are others who have even more answers than that and I encourage them to chime in. If I'm wrong on any of this just remember, I did a light search on the Googles for some info to pass on. Happy roading, can't wait for next summer.
Fair idea!

+1 on the wash after a snow storm/salty roads idea...also yes, preferably after it warms above freezing.

I don't believe in the undercoatings. There's already a layer of paint and primer under there. IMO, they don't do what they're advertised to...and make it difficult to service some things.

..but I do treat the undercarriage with steel wool, rust-fix, and black paint to take care of any nasty spots that form. I have extensive experience with maintaining boats, and constant touch up maintenance is just.....what you do. So I tried applying the concept to the car, and it seems to work!

Also - prepare and plan to replace some things under there, long-term...bolts, control arms. At least I do...don't want a rust-compromised control arm on the car while doing a track-day in the summer!!!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #105
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:

The State Road Crew cleans the two lane road I live on. Their Shop is 12 miles from here. They go another mile past me to the County line, then turn around.

EVERY trip they make out here to plow and SAND (more like GRAVEL) they dump 6 tons of sand/gravel, road salt on that 13 miles.
Occasionally they do that 2-3 times a day.

Every time a car passes, you're hit with gravel. Not only damaging your windshield but your bodywork. We can not go through a winter with a daily driver without a WS replacement every summer.

Once the snow/ice melts, we have TONS of gravel left on the roads until it's washed off by Spring rains or blown off the road by cars. The center portion of the road and each lane, will still have a line of gravel.

I'll leave mine in the garage until the roads clear....getting your car damaged every trip out , somehow sucks the fun out of it for me.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #106
Lurkertill03/10/2016

Drives: Soon to be a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
The State Road Crew cleans the two lane road I live on. Their Shop is 12 miles from here. They go another mile past me to the County line, then turn around.

EVERY trip they make out here to plow and SAND (more like GRAVEL) they dump 6 tons of sand/gravel, road salt on that 13 miles.
Occasionally they do that 2-3 times a day.

Every time a car passes, you're hit with gravel. Not only damaging your windshield but your bodywork. We can not go through a winter with a daily driver without a WS replacement every summer.

Once the snow/ice melts, we have TONS of gravel left on the roads until it's washed off by Spring rains or blown off the road by cars. The center portion of the road and each lane, will still have a line of gravel.

I'll leave mine in the garage until the roads clear....getting your car damaged every trip out , somehow sucks the fun out of it for me.
See with your situation it somewhat makes sense since the more rural / country areas are conditionally bad as it is. In the city though, the roads are mostly clear unless the ploughs haven't gotten around to that road or if its heavy snow.

I literally cannot stand driving behind one of those gravel trucks even if they're only going 45 KM let alone have to deal with gravel on the ground. I guess country side has its pros and cons eh? Spirited driving in the hot weather while we're stuck in traffic but on the other hand we can drive it all year round without too much substantial wear and tear whereas you guys put the beast in hibernation
Lurkertill03/10/2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #107
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:

Well - I think that all depends on how many cars you have. We have a bunch. So I'm not inclined to take out the SS convertible during nasty winter weather - even though where I live that means rain. There are too many clueless drivers on the roads, so I really wouldn't want to put my nicer cars in harms way like that when I can just as easily drive a different car. And actually my M5 is the best rain car anyway - so I drive that if I can or my truck. We get stretches of nice weather between the rain so I'm sure the Camaro will get out to play.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #108
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
See with your situation it somewhat makes sense since the more rural / country areas are conditionally bad as it is. In the city though, the roads are mostly clear unless the ploughs haven't gotten around to that road or if its heavy snow.

I literally cannot stand driving behind one of those gravel trucks even if they're only going 45 KM let alone have to deal with gravel on the ground. I guess country side has its pros and cons eh? Spirited driving in the hot weather while we're stuck in traffic but on the other hand we can drive it all year round without too much substantial wear and tear whereas you guys put the beast in hibernation
Rural living has it's up side; PRIVACY, clean air, lots of FREEDOM, wildlife, the ability to shoot in my back yard, etc. But there are the down sides too. And the toll winter takes on ones car is certainly one of them.

Worth it though, for the freedom to truly experience what our cars have to offer , when we have good road conditions.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #109
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

Drives: 16 2SS NPP MRC
Haven't sorted out my winter tires yet... Drove right into a snow storm last night... Was 25 minutes from home when i pulled into the gym parking lot and i could see the start of a flurry. 30 minutes later it was a blizzard... Those summer tires tried there best but i ended up back in the parking lot and calling for a ride...

I got 180 lbs worth of gravel in 2 large tupperware buckets in my trunk for some weight and tires next week.

I love the snow! But i need to get this sorted asap i don't like ditching my car in parking lots...
TopHatPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #110
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
How the hell do so many people not have a garage? :(
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #111
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
How the hell do so many people not have a garage? :(
I finally got my garage this year. New house has a pull through two car garage. Oh the joy.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #112
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
The rock salt trucks just dropped so much down on the streets in my area that you can do a 180 with no issue even before the snow comes!!!
Attached Images

keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, snow tires