Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #1079
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
anyone have a discount/coupon code that they know of at GPI or Tick or Texas Speed or any place thats not summit racing?

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #1080
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
i think your car is gonna move as it is right now.

just now im looking into the practicality of removing the rear and front passenger seats on nights (once i have the 17" tire wheel/setup) before i take it to the strip. Not sure if the rear seat delete is worth the investment if its not a major deal to do the R&R pre and post race nights

i think you and i might have a common interest in weight reduction at the moment.

I keep looking at your dyno chart and i cant help but to think that with the higher shift point the added RPM the X-1 gave you is gonna be good enough to get you close to (or open) that 10 second NA SBE 6.2 holy grail gate

Once you get to the top, you will be in the MAX power area of your powerband for the rest of the pass. I cannot help but to think that with a bit of weight reduction, you might have a 10 second car with stock heads
I sure am gonna go for it.

With the weight reduction, I am looking at rotational weight first before I take out creature comforts. It might be a while though. I am waiting to see what 15" conversion kit GPI comes out with. And Weld beadlocks aren't cheap either, but they are what I need. With some bias plys=light!

Anyone get tracking numbers yet today?
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #1081
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Check out the gpi brake kit they been seellling from aerospace technologies I think is the brand. Have a street version and a track version. Track version is very light but for track only cars
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #1082
Chris49066SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Check out the gpi brake kit they been seellling from aerospace technologies I think is the brand. Have a street version and a track version. Track version is very light but for track only cars
Those are the brakes I want, actually. Just need the control arms and other fixins to clear the wheel.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #1083
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

just got confirmation and tracking from L.O.D. just now. my "X" shipped out today!!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
Old 06-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #1084
Chris49066SS

Quote:
just got confirmation and tracking from L.O.D. just now. my "X" shipped out today!!!!

Old 06-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #1085
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:

AWESOME NEWS SIR !!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #1086
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
@christianchevelle i get what you're saying but in an NA MAX effort build, rpm is key. i think that if the comparison was done between a stock LS3 manifold and the LOD, the "before and after" would have been even more dramatic. I like the fact that in chris's results, the powerband increased significantly with the only change being the manifold. This is exactly what i was hoping to see. LS3/L99 cars like to spin. There is power in these motors beyond 6800 and beyond 7. Look at his rpms when after upshifting. 6000! He is right on the money!!! There is no doubt in my mind that with some nice heads, the LOD is gonna waste the LS3 manifold (rod mod or not) Look at the 2 areas a circled here. Im in the same boat chris490 is in.....im willing to lose some power below in order to gain everything else there is up top. He's on the right path

Personally, for a street car, I would never use this manifold. All it really did was shift the power curve to the right 1500 rpm for a 12 HP gain. Now you have to spin the engine to 7600 rpm to it essentially makes the same power as before. This is pointless and just causing unneeded stress on the engine. It under performed a factory manifold by a lot until 6500 rpm. Sorry guys, I am just not a fan of this manifold, it has its place but just not for me.

Thanks for doing such a great test and a true apples to apples comparison.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #1087
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Ford killer reminds me of when I got $200 back from Ford for a Harley Davidson f-150 I owned ...damn two piece spark plug settlement, I had to have the 100k spark plugs replaced at 60k when one broke then three broke at the dealers taking them out, plugs are 20$ each and the jobs was well over $400 as they had to vacuum the cylinders ..damn triton heads about as bad as the prior ones that blew spark plugs right out the holes ford just sucks every time I buy one...… and it had been like 30 years since I bought one...anyway traded that F-150 in on my first a 11 triple black 2ss vert l99 the best the dealer had on the lot....sucked me in though with a pic of a ruby red 2ss stick they sold long before that...…….
Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #1088
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

All performance cams move the ppwerband up. The only way to improve all around power in the stock ppwerband is FI.

For me, this looks like its the manifold that i need. Im sure chris' car drives good on the street. Heck, Lazer's does too. A lot depends on the setup you have. I cant speak for chris or lazer, but i didnt start upgrading this car because i wanted to go faster on the street. I built it because i wanted to go fast on the track. Below 4500ish rpms, the car feels like its stock with stock power and im fine with thay. But from 4500 till at least 7200 (my current rev limiter) its ridiculous. My car needs this manifold. It still wants to go farther beyond 7200 but the mighty and capable stock LS3 manifold is restricting the crap out of my heads and the proof is lazer's dyno swap comparison between the mid runner fast and the LOD. His car "woke up" with this manifold. My car at the moment needs this manifold

zz430, you say it underperformed a stock manifold, i say the stock manifold and heads are restricting him and was thr real underperformer. With some nice head work, the gains will be significantly more for the LOD. The stock LS3 manifold will cojtinue to be a bottleneck at 6500ish

Bone Stock

Last edited by sixty9fordkiller; 06-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #1089
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Ford killer reminds me of when I got $200 back from Ford for a Harley Davidson f-150 I owned ...damn two piece spark plug settlement, I had to have the 100k spark plugs replaced at 60k when one broke then three broke at the dealers taking them out, plugs are 20$ each and the jobs was well over $400 as they had to vacuum the cylinders ..damn triton heads about as bad as the prior ones that blew spark plugs right out the holes ford just sucks every time I buy one...… and it had been like 30 years since I bought one...anyway traded that F-150 in on my first a 11 triple black 2ss vert l99 the best the dealer had on the lot....sucked me in though with a pic of a ruby red 2ss stick they sold long before that...…….

chris, those 5.4 fords are notorious for the plugs breaking and the procedure to get them out is a pain in the ass. At least you jumped ship on that truck.

my neighbor has one. kinda felt bad for him. it was a real headache for him too to repair it

Bone Stock
Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #1090
Chris49066SS

Quote:
All performance cams move the ppwerband up. The only way to improve all around power in the stock ppwerband is FI.

For me, this looks like its the manifold that i need. Im sure chris' car drives good on the street. Heck, Lazer's does too. A lot depends on the setup you have. I cant speak for chris or lazer, but i didnt start upgrading this car because i wanted to go faster on the street. I built it because i wanted to go fast on the track. Below 4500ish rpms, the car feels like its stock with stock power and im fine with thay. But from 4500 till at least 7200 (my current rev limiter) its ridiculous. My car needs this manifold. It still wants to go farther beyond 7200 but the mighty and capable stock LS3 manifold is restricting the crap out of my heads and the proof is lazer's dyno swap comparison between the mid runner fast and the LOD. His car "woke up" with this manifold. My car at the moment needs this manifold

Thats where I'm at. It drives differently, I noticeably lost low end. Its still fine because I'm a 6L80 with 3.91, but it is noticeably more sluggish on the low end if you're just putting around. This changes as soon as I dip into the throttle because of the converter, the gears, and how its set to shift. I'm immediately in the sweet spot and stay there until I let off. And just like the low end was noticeably weaker with normal driving, the top end is noticeably more when getting on it. You know me, I will get track data as soon as possible. Temps and DA are not going to help, so you're not really getting a total apples to apples for track data until November, when I ran my previous PR. It feels faster though. I totally get it though, zz430. Its not for everyone.

.......but it IS for meeeee
Old 06-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #1091
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Thats where I'm at. It drives differently, I noticeably lost low end. Its still fine because I'm a 6L80 with 3.91, but it is noticeably more sluggish on the low end if you're just putting around. This changes as soon as I dip into the throttle because of the converter, the gears, and how its set to shift. I'm immediately in the sweet spot and stay there until I let off. And just like the low end was noticeably weaker with normal driving, the top end is noticeably more when getting on it. You know me, I will get track data as soon as possible. Temps and DA are not going to help, so you're not really getting a total apples to apples for track data until November, when I ran my previous PR. It feels faster though. I totally get it though, zz430. Its not for everyone.

.......but it IS for meeeee

I think its a great manifold if you need to shift power band to the right. As you said, for a street car, especially a stick car, the part throttle performance would be noticeable. You lose the crispness of the throttle and lose torque through the rpm range you are at 95 percent of the time.

Its a racing manifold and will do good at that. Plus it looks kickass
Old 06-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #1092
zz430camaro

Quote:

zz430, you say it underperformed a stock manifold, i say the stock manifold and heads are restricting him and was thr real underperformer. With some nice head work, the gains will be significantly more for the LOD. The stock LS3 manifold will cojtinue to be a bottleneck at 6500ish

It under performed the manifold until 6500 rpm. It will probably always do that, the better heads and bigger cam will make more peak power. It is what it is, not bashing it, just analyzing the results.

I think its great all of us do these comparisons and have people like Chris who spend a lot of time and money to get us these results. He eventually wants a supercharger and this manifold is perfect for that, or high rpm drag racing.