Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 02-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #1009
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Yep, I learned my lesson with the Equinox. 1-2 mpg difference isn't enough to skip out on four wheel drive when you live in Indiana. Get it.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #1010
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Yep, I learned my lesson with the Equinox. 1-2 mpg difference isn't enough to skip out on four wheel drive when you live in Indiana. Get it.
I totally have no use for it down here but may just get it anyway.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #1011
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Did it have a locker? Do the new colorados/canyons have one? In 08 we bought a 2wd Tahoe, handled the snow fine. The G80 locker helped. Never once had an issue.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #1012
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Snow tires are cheaper & work better, of course nothing prevents you from installing snow tires on something with AWD/4WD
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #1013
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I totally have no use for it down here but may just get it anyway.
Yeah, I wish I lived in Texas. Wife won't leave indy. But one thing is for sure, she's coming around every winter. Just being patient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Did it have a locker? Do the new colorados/canyons have one? In 08 we bought a 2wd Tahoe, handled the snow fine. The G80 locker helped. Never once had an issue.

Ryan
Have no idea. It's an 2012 LTZ Equinox FWD with the littlemotor. (It's not like I studied this purchase like I did the Camaro. Wifes car.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Snow tires are cheaper & work better, of course nothing prevents you from installing snow tires on something with AWD/4WD
Snow tires on a AWD/4WD would be nothing but fun! Time to bust drifts

Better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it, and not have it.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #1014
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
4wd/awd costs a little more up front, but more than get it back on the other end.

I'm hoping there is a zr2 announcement soon. I'll take one in laser blue please.

I'm planning on buying a raptor in the fall of '16, but I would take a zr2 this fall if GM will build it.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #1015
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
Test drove it, sat in the back seat, pretty cramped and im not tall (5'10) and my head was a few inches from the roof. Not sure what all the hub bub is about. Compared to a full size for the price im not seeing what the following is with this truck, other then its the latest and greatest from the toys decade of domination in the midsize market. Had the women test it as we were considering getting one, her reaction was "meh", then looked at a full size and she said now this looks like something.. Ofcourse I said (it was a lifted silverado brand new with 35's)lol but price was only 4k difference, so not much of an argument in comparison.. Maybe a beefy offroad edition with good clearence and some attitude would change my mind, just for now its a meh truck.

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #1016
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it, and not have it.
True ... but that logic can be used to justify an awful lot of wasted money. It could literally apply to anything you can imagine.

My argument for snow tires being better is this: powering all 4 wheels gives you better acceleration; snow tires give you better acceleration, braking, and steering. I don't know about you, but I'm more worried about rear ending a stopped car or sliding off the road than I am of getting going -and even then, there isn't much difference in acceleration between AWD+all seasons and 2WD+snows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
4wd/awd costs a little more up front, but more than get it back on the other end.
Not really. Every mile driven on winter tires is a mile not driven on your all seasons. That will make your all seasons last quite a bit longer, largely offsetting the cost of buying winter tires in the first place.

Plus there is the fuel mileage penalty that comes powering the extra axle. Granted, thats not much of an issue with selectable 4wd found in trucks but cars & crossovers with full time AWD, thats going to be an extra $100ish per year in fuel. By the time you have to replace the winter tires, the money saved is almost enough to buy a new set.

Between the two, the ownership costs are roughly comparable (if not in favour of winter tires) -and the upfront is usually less for the winters.

I guess 4wd/awd could improve the resale value of the vehicle when you finally get tired of it, but I'm going to guess that its not anywhere near 100% of the cost of the system.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #1017
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I probably won't waste my money for 4WD here in Florida. The All-Terrain will have a locker anyways.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #1018
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
Test drove it, sat in the back seat, pretty cramped and im not tall (5'10) and my head was a few inches from the roof. Not sure what all the hub bub is about. Compared to a full size for the price im not seeing what the following is with this truck, other then its the latest and greatest from the toys decade of domination in the midsize market. Had the women test it as we were considering getting one, her reaction was "meh", then looked at a full size and she said now this looks like something.. Ofcourse I said (it was a lifted silverado brand new with 35's)lol but price was only 4k difference, so not much of an argument in comparison.. Maybe a beefy offroad edition with good clearence and some attitude would change my mind, just for now its a meh truck.
Really? Cramped? I'm 6' tall, got in the driver's seat and adjusted it for comfort, then got in the back seat behind the driver's seat and had plenty of room, all the way around...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #1019
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
My argument for snow tires being better is this: powering all 4 wheels gives you better acceleration; snow tires give you better acceleration, braking, and steering. I don't know about you, but I'm more worried about rear ending a stopped car or sliding off the road than I am of getting going -and even then, there isn't much difference in acceleration between AWD+all seasons and 2WD+snows.
I beg to differ, but the first question is are we talking a FWD vehicle or a RWD vehicle for the one that has 2WD.

If we are talking about a FWD crossover/car with snow tires on it vs a AWD version of said vehicle on all season I can see your point( I would still take the AWD)

If you are talking about RWD though, as is the case with the trucks. Give me 4x4 all day in winter vs a 2wd truck with snow tires.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #1020
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Well I actually sat in one this past Sunday. I didn't really have the desire to test drive it as it was the 4 cyl 2wd model, but at first glance it sits up pretty high and almost appeared to be a 4x4.

I'm on the fence about what I think about the interior... The textures of the plastic parts seemed/felt like much higher quality than the Camaro interior, but at the end of the day, still just cheap hard plastic which doesn't excite me much.

The center console and shifter didn't really seem to be much "in the way" like I had thought they would be. I had to lower the seat way down to get some head room... Looking out through the windshield, I got the effect that it might give the false impression of driving a fullsize truck, yet looking around the inside brought you back to the reality that it's a mid-size pickup...

I'd say that would consider buying one, but I'm holding out for the diesel option regardless... Still hopeful for a diesel ZR2 with a manual transmission, but odds are that will never happen.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #1021
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
you mean you sat in a 6 cylinder?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #1022
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
you mean you sat in a 6 cylinder?