Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 01-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #85
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Doesn't the SS already top the GT350, with the GT350R coming out slightly on top mainly due to very sticky tires?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #86
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I highly doubt it.
I feel the opposite. I think there is a very good chance it will come on the A8.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #87
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
I feel the opposite. I think there is a very good chance it will come on the A8.
I agree with you for a few reasons.

1) The gen 5 had a lower hp engine with the auto and was already at a decided performance disadvantage. The 6th gen with the 8 speed is as quick if not quicker than the manual. It is already a better platform to build on than the 5th gen auto

2) The 3rd and 4th gen autos were pure garbage and no one at that time would try to run an auto as a hard core road racer.

With the 6th gen, there is a distinct possibility that the auto will be every bit as good of a road course car as the manual will be. Never thought I would say that but that is a very good reason to finally offer the 1LE in an auto. Not that I want it to happen, but for the first time it might make sense.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #88
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
I agree with mainly because in the past you could only get a Z06 Corvette as a manual and now it comes with an auto. If they can put it in the Z06 they can put it in the 1LE.

Tires are a huge difference but you can bolt on whatever tires you want right now. I haven't found the thread yet but I'm sure someone with access to a few different rims and tires has messed around and figured out how big a tire you can get on the car, and it is much bigger than stock sizes.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #89
Rampant

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula WS6 455ci LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I highly doubt it.
I can not see why not. In the past handling was better with the manual transmission. Today the autos blip on the downshifts and can shift faster than a manual. The Z06 has it as an option. It would be dumb of GM to ignore the A8 with the 1LE.

In fact I am going to see if it is offered before ordering a car. I would wait for the 1LE, my current DD is fine and paid for, but an auto is a must for me in a DD. Too much city traffic driving. Plus I have a M6 LS7 4th gen to play with in the garage when I feel like shifting. I regret not ordering the 1LE when I ordered my 99 WS6 Formula in 98. I was asked and said no, as I wanted power windows and a T roof. Hindsight, should have done it.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #90
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
My feelings on an auto 1LE aside, I don't think we will see one because we never saw one being tested. We saw a manual test 1LE but both an auto and manual Z**.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #91
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I would love to know their source so that I can put a % on how believable this is. I was thinking the next big Camaro reveal would be at New York but I'll definitely be anxiously awaiting the Chicago show now.

The only problem is if they introduce a 1LE for 2017, I'll have to wait even longer to buy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
PLEASE be true.

Plus let us remember that the 1LE isn't a "big model debut". It's an option package on the SS. The next Zxx will be the big reveal.
Folks: I am happy to report - this is 100% True. Chevy is set to unveil the 1LE performance package at Chicago. So if you're in the area - Chicago will be a good place to be in February.

More in the news: Two of your site moderators will be attending an early-bird sneak-peek of the car before the show opens to the public. We'll have all the details ready for you as soon as the presentations are over, so stay tuned.

If you would like to know anything in particular, let me know - I'll make sure to include it in my questions if I haven't already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Whats the big draw to the 1LE??? I guess everyone is tracking their car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
its just a performance package. makes the car more fun to drive and look at.

5th gen 1le:
greatly improved suspension
upgraded gear ratios
upgraded wheels and tires
added front splitter
distinct appearance
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Yeah I am not a fan, just really a tire and suspension update, or at least that was the package for the 5th gen.
Interesting perspectives. I actually enjoyed the 1LE so much that I traded my ZL1 in for one.

The most important upgrades were suspension tuning developed during ZL1 engineering - and applied to the lighter, naturally-aspirated SS. It transformed the car into a track animal that could hang with the best in its class at SCCA tournaments. And that deserves a pause, too, Magnetic ride control is NOT legal in many racing circuits...the 1LE's mono-tube dampers were.

It destroyed a then-gen Mustang Boss 302, and handily beat the same Laguna Seca edition - which was (like the current GT350) supposed to be Ford's track-focused offering. All for $3500. The wheels alone, retailed for $4000. It was, and is a bargain.

The car essentially performed like a "Z/28 lite". It had the same transmission and differential gear ratios, the same square wheel/tire setup...the same balanced handling, and a similar weight. It's a wonderfully composed and responsive car to drive on a track.

If you don't track your car, though...then it probably was not a worthwhile option set. Because for $3500, all that really changed in appearance was the wheels, brake calipers, and the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrophy View Post
You make an interesting point. There was a definite need for the 1LE package with the 5th gen. One could argue however that the 6th gen also "fixed ALL that". Reviews thus far don't really point to handling problems associated with the platform (i.e. under-steer, pushing, etc).

From a marketing perspective the 1LE was marketed after the ZL1 was launched as an upgrade to get most of what makes the ZL1 better on the track but at a lower cost.

I can't help but wonder if the lack of an obvious need for better suspension on the 6th gen, and the ZL1 still unavailable as a "compare to", might reduce the urgency to launch a 1LE-like upgrade package before the Zxx?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
Even as good as the 6th gen SS is, there is always room for improvement.
The 1LE version will be a LOT better than the SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando16SS View Post
I'm not sure how they could upgrade the suspension - the mag ride in my SS is pretty solid. I guess there's always room for improvement....but not $3500 worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
We have 5 pages of opinions... some information about 5th gen 1LE and a lot of conjecture. If a 1LE package comes out now (which it appears it will) I doubt it will significantly improve the track performance of the current SS. The phasetec car sticker shows a lowering kit. Everything else on the list, exhaust, big brake kit, front extension, stripes... can be ordered on any SS right now.

The Gen 5 1LE package took suspension parts from the ZL1 that was already for sale and bolted them on a SS. This was needed to fix the shortcommings already identified in that car. Did have a transmission change, gear change and a tire change.

Will a Gen 6 1LE Camaro package be faster around a track?, I hope so but don't expect the difference to be as big on this car as the Gen 5. The gen 6 SS Camaro was developed on the race track to begin with and that is why it is so close to the GT350. Prior to release, they were leaking pics of the aluminum suspension components that are already top notch. 2016 SS had more track focus from day 1 of engineering so there is not a ton of room for more performance right now. Yes you can always make it better but the bar is starting high already (hence the motor trend car of the year award).

If the '17 1LE has some serious upgrade parts then I'm sure we will be able to retro fit them on the '16 SS. It would be nice to get the factory discount but that's what happens when you get the first ones off the line... As the platform improves you have to spend more coin to keep up.
I think you guys are looking at it a little differently than I.

The fact that the standard SS model can do what it does...with so little in the way of performance equipment, speaks mountains about what a 1LE COULD do.

Let's assume that they take the same approach this generation that they did last: touch everything but the engine...

Think about it: The current SS can pull .97 G's. The 5th gen 1LE could pull 1.01. The current SS does it with not especially aggressive Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric tires, using 245 up front and 275 in the rear. What might happen if Camaro team equipped it with a square and wider setup using a stickier compound? I expect it could reach 5th-gen Z/28 levels of grip. Yes...I said it.

But this isn't all about numbers. The 1LE FELT great to drive.

The '16 SS still suffers from minor understeer at the limit. This is a good thing, and the limit is much, much higher than the 5th gen. But what if that was tuned out? I think the neutral balance they could achieve at this weight level would be astounding.

How might the car accelerate with a taller differential gearing?

What if they incorporated a cold-air intake and adjusted the engine tuning...465hp 480??

What if they used bigger brakes, like the 6-pot accessory upgrade? Could it stop later and become a track warrior?

Look at what's currently available as accessory parts for the car - what if they include the lowering kit as part of the package? What are the spring-rates like? Would the 1" lower CoG significantly improve weight transfer while cornering?

What if they adjusted the aerodynamics just enough to increase downforce and provide some more stability at high speed? Would it be able to corner at higher speeds?

What if they swapped out some components with HD units to ensure it would pass a 24-hour track test at Milford...like they did with the Gen 5 version?

I'm certainly not in charge, but if they did this right...I think they could make a Camaro that performed nearly as well as a 5th gen Z/28...for 4,000 - 5,000 dollars over the price of a standard SS. They'd be able to beat a GT350, make a GT350r sweat...and steal all of the thunder because it's so cheap...again.

Then consider - the ZL1 or Z/28 or whatever it is they're working on....would be even FASTER.

I don't know about you all....but I'm ridiculously excited for this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
The 1LE is certainly a great track performer, but I don't think there is consensus it was any faster at the drag strip.
I think the gearing and rubber made it just a tenth or two faster. Nothing radically different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNYSTR View Post
Do none of y'all remember the white Camaro at SEMA? It was the performance concept...cough cough...1LE.

You might be on to something. If you watch the 1LE spy videos...you'll notice the car wears the same spoiler and splitter as this show car does....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
Does the 6th gen come standard with brake ducts? The biggest deficit in my current 1LE from my recent track day excursions, and having track pads, is the fronts will overheat easily. GM would be wise to include brake ducts in the 6th gen 1LE as standard as well as things like heavy duty diff/tranny cooler, separated brake and clutch fluid, and possibly upgraded brake lines too. Those would be the basics in my opinion for a track day machine, and everything else is just bonus (with exceptions of better wheels and tires of course and a lowered center of gravity).
I agree. The '14's offered an easy brake-duct upgrade, which I did. I also swapped out the brake fluid for some of the best stuff there is...Prior to this, the four-pots just couldn't keep up with the rest of the car without additional cooling capability.

The 6th-gen SS does feature standard brake cooling ducts, thankfully.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I agree with you for a few reasons.

1) The gen 5 had a lower hp engine with the auto and was already at a decided performance disadvantage. The 6th gen with the 8 speed is as quick if not quicker than the manual. It is already a better platform to build on than the 5th gen auto

2) The 3rd and 4th gen autos were pure garbage and no one at that time would try to run an auto as a hard core road racer.

With the 6th gen, there is a distinct possibility that the auto will be every bit as good of a road course car as the manual will be. Never thought I would say that but that is a very good reason to finally offer the 1LE in an auto. Not that I want it to happen, but for the first time it might make sense.
You've got good points. And I tend to agree.

But unfortunately, one of the biggest factors in this decision is going to be factory cost limitations. If you offer it with both transmissions, you need to accommodate (in pricing) for double the possible build variations.

They might do it, for all the reasons you stated above. I believe the Z06 Vette is available as an automatic (but it also likes to overheat, so I've heard)

Then again, they may not...because most people buying the package will want a stick, anyways. Maybe...
Old 01-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #92
GDAGR8

Drives: Camaro-future
No brainier. Will be on the auto
Old 01-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #93
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
Quote:
I hope so

Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #94
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I'm sorry, but if these are the new zl1/1le wheels, I love them!
I would definitely regret not waiting.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #95
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdu View Post
Any thoughts if it will be available for the A8 equipped cars?
i believe so...they opened the z06 to them.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #96
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
We have 5 pages of opinions...
I only see 2....

--kC
Old 01-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #97
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Folks: I am happy to report - this is 100% True. Chevy is set to unveil the 1LE performance package at Chicago. So if you're in the area - Chicago will be a good place to be in February.

More in the news: Two of your site moderators will be attending an early-bird sneak-peek of the car before the show opens to the public. We'll have all the details ready for you as soon as the presentations are over, so stay tuned.

If you would like to know anything in particular, let me know - I'll make sure to include it in my questions if I haven't already!

Interesting perspectives. I actually enjoyed the 1LE so much that I traded my ZL1 in for one.

The most important upgrades were suspension tuning developed during ZL1 engineering - and applied to the lighter, naturally-aspirated SS. It transformed the car into a track animal that could hang with the best in its class at SCCA tournaments. And that deserves a pause, too, Magnetic ride control is NOT legal in many racing circuits...the 1LE's mono-tube dampers were.

It destroyed a then-gen Mustang Boss 302, and handily beat the same Laguna Seca edition - which was (like the current GT350) supposed to be Ford's track-focused offering. All for $3500. The wheels alone, retailed for $4000. It was, and is a bargain.

The car essentially performed like a "Z/28 lite". It had the same transmission and differential gear ratios, the same square wheel/tire setup...the same balanced handling, and a similar weight. It's a wonderfully composed and responsive car to drive on a track.

If you don't track your car, though...then it probably was not a worthwhile option set. Because for $3500, all that really changed in appearance was the wheels, brake calipers, and the hood.

I think you guys are looking at it a little differently than I.

The fact that the standard SS model can do what it does...with so little in the way of performance equipment, speaks mountains about what a 1LE COULD do.

Let's assume that they take the same approach this generation that they did last: touch everything but the engine...

Think about it: The current SS can pull .97 G's. The 5th gen 1LE could pull 1.01. The current SS does it with not especially aggressive Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric tires, using 245 up front and 275 in the rear. What might happen if Camaro team equipped it with a square and wider setup using a stickier compound? I expect it could reach 5th-gen Z/28 levels of grip. Yes...I said it.

But this isn't all about numbers. The 1LE FELT great to drive.

The '16 SS still suffers from minor understeer at the limit. This is a good thing, and the limit is much, much higher than the 5th gen. But what if that was tuned out? I think the neutral balance they could achieve at this weight level would be astounding.

How might the car accelerate with a taller differential gearing?

What if they incorporated a cold-air intake and adjusted the engine tuning...465hp 480??

What if they used bigger brakes, like the 6-pot accessory upgrade? Could it stop later and become a track warrior?

Look at what's currently available as accessory parts for the car - what if they include the lowering kit as part of the package? What are the spring-rates like? Would the 1" lower CoG significantly improve weight transfer while cornering?

What if they adjusted the aerodynamics just enough to increase downforce and provide some more stability at high speed? Would it be able to corner at higher speeds?

What if they swapped out some components with HD units to ensure it would pass a 24-hour track test at Milford...like they did with the Gen 5 version?

I'm certainly not in charge, but if they did this right...I think they could make a Camaro that performed nearly as well as a 5th gen Z/28...for 4,000 - 5,000 dollars over the price of a standard SS. They'd be able to beat a GT350, make a GT350r sweat...and steal all of the thunder because it's so cheap...again.

Then consider - the ZL1 or Z/28 or whatever it is they're working on....would be even FASTER.

I don't know about you all....but I'm ridiculously excited for this!!

I think the gearing and rubber made it just a tenth or two faster. Nothing radically different.

You might be on to something. If you watch the 1LE spy videos...you'll notice the car wears the same spoiler and splitter as this show car does....

I agree. The '14's offered an easy brake-duct upgrade, which I did. I also swapped out the brake fluid for some of the best stuff there is...Prior to this, the four-pots just couldn't keep up with the rest of the car without additional cooling capability.

The 6th-gen SS does feature standard brake cooling ducts, thankfully.

You've got good points. And I tend to agree.

But unfortunately, one of the biggest factors in this decision is going to be factory cost limitations. If you offer it with both transmissions, you need to accommodate (in pricing) for double the possible build variations.

They might do it, for all the reasons you stated above. I believe the Z06 Vette is available as an automatic (but it also likes to overheat, so I've heard)

Then again, they may not...because most people buying the package will want a stick, anyways. Maybe...
I love you, man.

--kC
Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #98
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
I only see 2....

--kC
Noob mode

Closed Thread