Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #85
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Good luck with your decision, and great to hear you are buying American! If only everyone would stop for a second and actually drive American cars these days, especially GM vehicles, then that would be a great thing!
Spot on.

There was a time when American cars were inferior to a few of the imports. Not any more. It was a wake up call for me once I started doing some serious research on all makes of cars.

The competition has made it better for all of us as consumers.
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #86
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
C7 is for a different stage life crowd. I would pick a c7 out of the two but I have a 4 door truck and my girlfriend has a SUV and a truck. I wouldn't c7 as my only car and you can with Camaro, or atleast I did with fifth gen.

C7 will be much higher insurance. Is and was a major downfall for me in Southern California as a young unmarried male.
Good points. The diff between 2SS and C7 insurance is $82 a year for me at 57, and the wife has her car and I have my pick up.

It supports the life stage argument.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #87
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 6 View Post
Spot on.

There was a time when American cars were inferior to a few of the imports. Not any more. It was a wake up call for me once I started doing some serious research on all makes of cars.

The competition has made it better for all of us as consumers.
Competition is great, makes everyone up their game.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #88
wzbhnn

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
I was torn between gen 5 and gen 6 a year ago and went for gen 5 because I believed 2016 Camaro will share Corvette's 7-speed manual. I test drove one and hated it like a lot of people do. So if you are thinking about getting a manual, there is one reason NOT to get the Corvette.
Since it is just a weekend car for you. I suggest look less into practicality and more into drivability. If the roads are not good enough, maybe choose the Camaro. If there is a lot of sunshine, maybe choose the Corvette. Test driving is always the best idea to decide what you want.
wzbhnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #89
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Since you dont need the backseats, its an EASY decision: C7

Despite the weight reduction efforts of the 2016 Camaro, it's still a pig even at its new weight. It'll never be able to overcome that disadvantage. One of the flaws I hate about my 1LE.
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #90
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

But we are talking CA6 here. Want more reasons? The Stingray:
  • costs more (and can be much more) expensive than
  • insurance is more expensive than for
  • mods are more expensive than on
  • has no back seat unlike
  • has very little room for stuff unlike
  • depreciates faster than
the CA6 SS.

But if you are looking to find a pretty passenger, the Z51 will have it all over the SS.
I agree with all of these except the depreciation. In terms of dollars, the C7 will depreciate more, because it costs more. However, the C7 has a higher 3 and residual percentage than the Camaro does.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #91
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Like others have said, depends on what you're going to do and whether or not you need the (small) backseat of the Camaro. I have a decently modified ZL1 that I road course a lot. I have also had some time in a C7 Z51 (bone stock) and much prefer the C7. I see several people mentioning that they felt cramped, but I never felt that way and I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2" and 200 lbs. I have (slightly) better head room in the C7 and for whatever reason I have WAY more leg room in the Corvette. That really shocked me at how much leg room there is. Now as far as shoulder and upper body room, yeah it's smaller than the Camaro but I felt more "IN" the car with the Corvette and "apart" of it than I did in the Camaro.

Interior is nice in the C7, I also have sat in a 2016 2SS and it is very nice as well. However I like the ergonomics and layout of the C7 more. Performance wise, I haven't been able to drive a 6th gen but the C7 is fabulous on and off the track and pretty much has me convinced that my next car will be a C7.

I suggest you drive both if given the opportunity.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #92
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
My spouse has a 2014 C7 3LT Z51. I had a 2012 base C6, and traded it in for a 2015 ZL1. I've driven both a LOT. Both are manual.

I decided on the ZL1 as I commute 2 hours a day. For commuting that long, the C7 is a bit too visceral for me. The ZL1 with MRC which the gen 6's will have, is crazy comfortable - I could commute all day. The ZL1 feels like a big car compared to the C7. It's very roomy inside - feels like close to twice the room. I love the handling, but it handles a lot heavier than the C7. Power of the ZL1 is intoxicating and the pull is crazy, but the C7 will get up to 60 mph .3 seconds faster, and you can feel how much more nimble the C7 is. Both have wonderful exhaust notes with NPP with the flaps open.

C7 Z51 is an amazing car. When you push it either on straight away or in corners, it just squats down and hugs the road like a stealthy cat. It's a very fun car. Has a lot of technology (I think will be similar to the gen 6). Difference between driving modes is felt a lot more in the C7 than in the ZL1. Steering is finger tip light. Braking between the two is comparable.

The C7 has the base seats (I've driven in the competition seats and find them extremely UN-comfortable), and the ZL1 also has base seats (non recaros). The ZL1 base seats are hands down the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in in a car. I absolutely love them. The C7 seats are comfortable but firm. The C7 seats and cockpit are NOT made for larger people. I know there are plenty of 6'+, and 200lb+ guys that buy and enjoy the C7, but as a 5'7 140lb woman I have absolutely NO idea how, as I feel snug in them.

Shifting is similar between the two - both shift beautifully. Both cars are fantastic and I feel blessed to be in a position we can have both. For a long range commuter, I'd pick the Camaro any day of the week over the stingray. For a short range commuter, weekend fun car, track car it'd be a tough choice.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #93
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzbhnn View Post
I was torn between gen 5 and gen 6 a year ago and went for gen 5 because I believed 2016 Camaro will share Corvette's 7-speed manual. I test drove one and hated it like a lot of people do. So if you are thinking about getting a manual, there is one reason NOT to get the Corvette.
Since it is just a weekend car for you. I suggest look less into practicality and more into drivability. If the roads are not good enough, maybe choose the Camaro. If there is a lot of sunshine, maybe choose the Corvette. Test driving is always the best idea to decide what you want.
Thanks for the opinions.

I have not researched the MTs to any extent, but the 7th gear just seems like one too much. I guess it is just an overdrive gear for all practical purposes.

I'll be going magnetic on either car, and I'm hoping that will minimize the negative road conditions in good 'ole Ohio.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #94
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
Since you dont need the backseats, its an EASY decision: C7

Despite the weight reduction efforts of the 2016 Camaro, it's still a pig even at its new weight. It'll never be able to overcome that disadvantage. One of the flaws I hate about my 1LE.

Initially, I was thinking easy decision as well. Hopefully the test drive of the Gen 6 will give me a clear cut choice. I'm riding the fence waiting for something to knock me off.

And I have to tell you, they have a couple 1LEs sitting on a pedestal at a dealership I pass everyday going to work. Ashen Gray and White. Great looking car and a beast in it's own right. If the Gen 6 didn't have all the new tech and upgrades, I would be in there in a minute.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #95
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
I agree with all of these except the depreciation. In terms of dollars, the C7 will depreciate more, because it costs more. However, the C7 has a higher 3 and residual percentage than the Camaro does.
I am not familiar with '3' on the depreciation scale, but I am guessing the Vette may hold it's value better 10 years out compared to the Camaro.

Bottom line is that I am not overly concerned about depreciation. I'm more worried about making the right decision so I don't end up buying the other car 3 years from now.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #96
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Like others have said, depends on what you're going to do and whether or not you need the (small) backseat of the Camaro. I have a decently modified ZL1 that I road course a lot. I have also had some time in a C7 Z51 (bone stock) and much prefer the C7. I see several people mentioning that they felt cramped, but I never felt that way and I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2" and 200 lbs. I have (slightly) better head room in the C7 and for whatever reason I have WAY more leg room in the Corvette. That really shocked me at how much leg room there is. Now as far as shoulder and upper body room, yeah it's smaller than the Camaro but I felt more "IN" the car with the Corvette and "apart" of it than I did in the Camaro.

Interior is nice in the C7, I also have sat in a 2016 2SS and it is very nice as well. However I like the ergonomics and layout of the C7 more. Performance wise, I haven't been able to drive a 6th gen but the C7 is fabulous on and off the track and pretty much has me convinced that my next car will be a C7.

I suggest you drive both if given the opportunity.
Thanks for the analysis.

I have sat in the C7 and at 6'0" and 160 lbs. it felt great. I'll be driving one next week and then plan on driving the Camaro ASAP.

I am hoping that the driving experiences will make it an easy decision for me. I expect a lot out of the Vette so the bar is high. I think the Camaro will be great as well.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread by Number 3: "Oh and there's that $20,000. Can't forget the $20,000.'
Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #97
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 6 View Post
I am not familiar with '3' on the depreciation scale, but I am guessing the Vette may hold it's value better 10 years out compared to the Camaro.

Bottom line is that I am not overly concerned about depreciation. I'm more worried about making the right decision so I don't end up buying the other car 3 years from now.
That should have said 3 year residual value.

I'm in that very situation now. I bought a car that I thought I would be happy with, and have regretted the decision since the moment I left the car lot. Now that I'm not taking an absolute bath on the sale of the car, it's time to move on.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #98
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyp View Post
My spouse has a 2014 C7 3LT Z51. I had a 2012 base C6, and traded it in for a 2015 ZL1. I've driven both a LOT. Both are manual.

I decided on the ZL1 as I commute 2 hours a day. For commuting that long, the C7 is a bit too visceral for me. The ZL1 with MRC which the gen 6's will have, is crazy comfortable - I could commute all day. The ZL1 feels like a big car compared to the C7. It's very roomy inside - feels like close to twice the room. I love the handling, but it handles a lot heavier than the C7. Power of the ZL1 is intoxicating and the pull is crazy, but the C7 will get up to 60 mph .3 seconds faster, and you can feel how much more nimble the C7 is. Both have wonderful exhaust notes with NPP with the flaps open.

C7 Z51 is an amazing car. When you push it either on straight away or in corners, it just squats down and hugs the road like a stealthy cat. It's a very fun car. Has a lot of technology (I think will be similar to the gen 6). Difference between driving modes is felt a lot more in the C7 than in the ZL1. Steering is finger tip light. Braking between the two is comparable.

The C7 has the base seats (I've driven in the competition seats and find them extremely UN-comfortable), and the ZL1 also has base seats (non recaros). The ZL1 base seats are hands down the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in in a car. I absolutely love them. The C7 seats are comfortable but firm. The C7 seats and cockpit are NOT made for larger people. I know there are plenty of 6'+, and 200lb+ guys that buy and enjoy the C7, but as a 5'7 140lb woman I have absolutely NO idea how, as I feel snug in them.

Shifting is similar between the two - both shift beautifully. Both cars are fantastic and I feel blessed to be in a position we can have both. For a long range commuter, I'd pick the Camaro any day of the week over the stingray. For a short range commuter, weekend fun car, track car it'd be a tough choice.
Great writeup. Your quote below gets down to my use for whichever car I purchase:

.For a short range commuter, weekend fun car, track car it'd be a tough choice.

Therein lies my conundrum.