Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 08-29-2023, 04:55 PM   #85
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone98 View Post
Like the whole state of Michigan.
Honest question, who do you think is affected more when all three strike? The OEMs from lack of sales, or the union members when their strike funding/budget starts to run low?
I think the OEMs have more staying power in the long run. Once strike funds run low, members tend to be less ambitious and wanting to go back to work to support their families.
When the OEMs and UAW start playing “Mine’s Bigger Than Yours,” the suffering translates quickly to the workers. No matter how strong their belief in their union, workers also feel a connection to their company. With one company involved, their workers have a stronger feeling of “protection” - the sense that ultimately their company will do what’s necessary to take care of them. That connection fades somewhat with all three companies involved, because the workers have no feeling of connection/protection from two of them. Long before the strike funds run out, thousands of UAW workers will tire of not being able to live their normal lives, even if they support the goals of the strike.

The big challenge for the OEMs and the UAW is that they’re negotiating a contract for what may be a very dark and unprofitable future. The federal government is trying to put the OEMs out of business by forcing them to produce EVs that their customers generally don’t want to buy. Faced with expenses for this total industry makeover that already are pushing OEMs to lose billions of dollars, we may be looking at the necessity of a total government bailout of the auto companies.

Last edited by 50MileSmile; 08-29-2023 at 05:24 PM.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:44 PM   #86
Tbone98

Drives: 2023 Sierra AT4, 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
When the OEMs and UAW start playing “Mine’s Bigger Than Yours,” the suffering translates quickly to the workers. No matter how strong their belief in their union, workers also feel a connection to their company. With one company involved, their workers have a stronger feeling of “protection” - the sense that ultimately their company will do what’s necessary to take care of them. That connection fades somewhat with all three companies involved, because the workers have no feeling of connection/protection from two of them. Long before the strike funds run out, thousands of UAW workers will tire of not being able to live their normal lives, even if they support the goals of the strike.

The big challenge for the OEMs and the UAW is that they’re negotiating a contract for what may be a very dark and unprofitable future. The federal government is trying to put the OEMs out of business by forcing them to produce EVs that their customers generally don’t want to buy. Faced with expenses for this total industry makeover that already are pushing OEMs to lose billions of dollars, we may be looking at the necessity of a total government bailout of the auto companies.
This is looking more and more like a lose/lose/lose (OEMs/UAW-employees/consumers)
Tbone98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 12:23 AM   #87
Z06ZLE

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
While I certainly don’t have the facts and figures on-hand, I’m curious what makes you think customers generally don’t want to buy EV’s? Slower adoption can certainly be in-part due to range anxiety, unfamiliarity, lack of charging infrastructure across many states and the somewhat still-high cost of entry even for basic models, but it’s hard to actually quantify the overall population’s sentiment towards greener vehicles and the benefits associated with them — less maintenance cost, fewer expendables, electricity is cheaper/more sustainable than gas, etc.

I, for one, am all about them. Even though, yes, I’m also a petrolhead too.
2014 Mustang GT
2012 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Z06
2008 Corvette Z06
2007 Yamaha R6

Daily: 2015 BMW i3
Z06ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:14 AM   #88
fswanson24

Drives: 2024 Camaro ZL1 CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZLE View Post
While I certainly don’t have the facts and figures on-hand, I’m curious what makes you think customers generally don’t want to buy EV’s? Slower adoption can certainly be in-part due to range anxiety, unfamiliarity, lack of charging infrastructure across many states and the somewhat still-high cost of entry even for basic models, but it’s hard to actually quantify the overall population’s sentiment towards greener vehicles and the benefits associated with them — less maintenance cost, fewer expendables, electricity is cheaper/more sustainable than gas, etc.

My opinion is that is a slow adoption issue. The issues you listed are HUGE issues for most people, and will take a long time to get fixed or get over. Especially the charging infrastructure.
fswanson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:23 AM   #89
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Update.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/08...-gm-executive/
Old 08-30-2023, 07:26 AM   #90
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:

You are drinking too much California Kool-aid! And OFF TOPIC!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:46 AM   #91
Tbone98

Drives: 2023 Sierra AT4, 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
https://www.gmnegotiations2023.com/p...ions/home.html
GM's perspective
Tbone98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #92
Mrhorton

Drives: 15 cruze, 22 Silverado 3500, 23 mal
As a UAW member myself and after watching our presidents speech yesterday and hearing the companies side today, I feel that a strike is going to happen. I truthfully think the company is in a tough spot. We have been running unlimited overtime the last 2 years and still can't keep up. My plant makes multiple products including the 10 speed. Since fort Wayne is down, we have built our bank of 10 speeds to full capacity. Instead of laying people off, they are moving them to other parts of the plant to build our other products.
Mrhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 02:32 PM   #93
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Seems like ford's recent offer to the UAW was not received well.
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #94
TurtleSS

Drives: 24 Camaro 2ss 1le M6 Riptide
What are everybody’s thoughts on if gm will continue to accept orders if the strike happens? Will they close ordering for good and just accept already place orders?
10/5/23 order still at 1100
TurtleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 01:36 AM   #95
Z06ZLE

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSS View Post
What are everybody’s thoughts on if gm will continue to accept orders if the strike happens? Will they close ordering for good and just accept already place orders?
Honestly, I don’t know that it’s profitable for GM to even accept/honor the outstanding orders already placed. They want to transition into EV’s already, and they know they will sell a lot more EV’s than the few Camaros left on order. My guess is that the moment the strike ends, whatever isn’t built yet … won’t get built. The strike is only going to mean less Camaros all-around; they will not extend the production window on account of it, and with January being the date when Camaro production ceases, that realistically means the last vehicles going into the start of production is more like October/November.
2014 Mustang GT
2012 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Z06
2008 Corvette Z06
2007 Yamaha R6

Daily: 2015 BMW i3
Z06ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #96
gdr4u19

Drives: Camaro 1SS 2024, Camaro Z28 2000
My 1SS got built this week. Dealer gave me the window sticker including the VIN yesterday. they are expecting it to arrive 9-11 to 9-14
gdr4u19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:32 PM   #97
fswanson24

Drives: 2024 Camaro ZL1 CE Convertible
Quote:
Honestly, I don’t know that it’s profitable for GM to even accept/honor the outstanding orders already placed. They want to transition into EV’s already, and they know they will sell a lot more EV’s than the few Camaros left on order. My guess is that the moment the strike ends, whatever isn’t built yet … won’t get built. The strike is only going to mean less Camaros all-around; they will not extend the production window on account of it, and with January being the date when Camaro production ceases, that realistically means the last vehicles going into the start of production is more like October/November.
GM will build the cars that already have the orders accepted. They are building the 24 Camaros to get rid of parts inventory that they already had in stock, and they will want to use any parts they have had to order in the last month or two for the 24 Camaros already accepted and planned for production. They ultimately trying to minimize how much parts inventory they will have to scrap when the production run is done.
fswanson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:30 PM   #98
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fswanson24 View Post
GM will build the cars that already have the orders accepted. They are building the 24 Camaros to get rid of parts inventory that they already had in stock, and they will want to use any parts they have had to order in the last month or two for the 24 Camaros already accepted and planned for production. They ultimately trying to minimize how much parts inventory they will have to scrap when the production run is done.
Why would they have to scrap any parts? Everything can be reused or repurposed as repair parts inventory.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote