Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #85
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Manual. I've had nothing but bad experiences with GM's autos. Also I LOVE shifting. I wouldn't buy an auto sports car any more than I would buy an auto motorcycle.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #86
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
no one take this into offense but if you're complaining about driving a manual in traffic you shouldn't be driving at all.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #87
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
I live in NYC, and None of that has anything to do with it. Technology has made it so it's a disadvantage to drive a stick now. People used to only buy sticks because it was the faster car. Not anymore, people now do it to either prove masculinity or they enjoy rowing the gears. I can appreciate the latter. I do enjoy driving my 6 speed but it is somewhat comical rowing my gears in my bolt on WS6. Then getting in my auto CTSV that runs low 11's. This is a debate that can go on forever. And I'm not really partial to either side. I just laughed at your comment because you made it seem like the only people who would buy an auto is someone who can't drive stick or is an old lazy guy. The new Z runs almost half a second faster in the auto. Let that sink in. Like I said for an SS or a mediocre performing car it's not big deal. But when your really looking to go fast the auto is where it's at. 80% sure my Z Will be an auto.
This isn't true.

First off, a manual transmission car with equal gearing will be faster than the auto simply because they are more efficient. They are much more difficult to drive, yes, but the top spots even in 1/4 miles are held by manuals simply because they put down 5+% more power due to efficiency. A 6th gen manual will put down 20-30rwhp more than a 6th gen auto. If you can maximize your shift points - and granted, most of the time you won't - but if you get that "perfect run" you will beat the auto. A manual transmission also has more capability to launch stock. For an auto, you will need an aftermarket torque converter to do so. The fastest 5th Gen is a manual.

For non-drag racing the manual is faster no contest. The 6th Gen is no different. The manual will own the track.

Did you seriously say the only reason why people buy sticks is because they used to be faster? Good Lord. Exactly when can I do WOT runs on the street? People buy manuals for the street because the only thing an auto is good for is straight line WOT runs. That doesn't happen on the street. Manuals are about response and control. It is the overall driving experience. You will not get that with a slushbox. 99.99999% of my car's life will be on the street, not a straight 1/4 strip. Chances are yours will be, too, but you're making your decision based on that 0.000001%?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #88
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355 View Post
Honestly, I can't drive stick, so automatic it is by default.

I'm glad as hell that it's an 8-speed like in the Challenger, it should provide a good balance between acceleration, top speed and efficiency regardless of engine. GM did the right thing here.
Finally, an honest man! Most people will blame it on "traffic" and "ET's" instead of just telling the truth! Throw yourself to the wolves and learn it. I'm sure you have a friend or two, or a family member or something, that owns a manual transmission in something and can give you a crash course. Get the basics down and limp it home from the dealership. In a week or two you'll say it's the best thing you've ever done.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #89
nikeair042
VENOM

Drives: Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
This isn't true.

First off, a manual transmission car with equal gearing will be faster than the auto simply because they are more efficient. They are much more difficult to drive, yes, but the top spots even in 1/4 miles are held by manuals simply because they put down 5+% more power due to efficiency. A 6th gen manual will put down 20-30rwhp more than a 6th gen auto. If you can maximize your shift points - and granted, most of the time you won't - but if you get that "perfect run" you will beat the auto. A manual transmission also has more capability to launch stock. For an auto, you will need an aftermarket torque converter to do so. The fastest 5th Gen is a manual.

For non-drag racing the manual is faster no contest. The 6th Gen is no different. The manual will own the track.

Did you seriously say the only reason why people buy sticks is because they used to be faster? Good Lord. Exactly when can I do WOT runs on the street? People buy manuals for the street because the only thing an auto is good for is straight line WOT runs. That doesn't happen on the street. Manuals are about response and control. It is the overall driving experience. You will not get that with a slushbox. 99.99999% of my car's life will be on the street, not a straight 1/4 strip. Chances are yours will be, too, but you're making your decision based on that 0.000001%?
I want a manual because it's more fun and I have control of what gear I am in, when I want to be in it. My automatic in my G8 is a pain. You're on the highway and want to stop on the pedal, it kicks down to 4th but still takes a few seconds to kick down. And I don't want to be in 4th because 3rd gear take me to 105. Even with a tune you will never get an auto to behave like a manual. And once again, its way more fun to be rowing through the gears.
Appearance Mods: Red painted calipers, 20% Rear Tint, 35% Side Tint, front side marker tint, G8 GT Visor decals, V8 Badge, L76 oil cap, Roto-Fab Radiator cover, G8 GT Badge, shorty antenna, CF intake tube, CF plenum cover, GXP rear diffuser, red/black shifter, SLP black spoiler, gloss black roof
Performance Mods: Roto-Fab intake, Borla Cat-Back exhaust, hood-vent mod, VMS Tune, 160*, SLP LT headers, Camaro brembo's and rotors, BMR suspension parts, Eibach springs
nikeair042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #90
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
I hear you Norm and respect your opinion for your choice.

I still stand on the premise that since the manuals are no longer the quicker version or as consistent that the next performance car I order will offer me the experience the new technology of today's performance cars.

I'm not running out to sell my manual transmission c6 z51 but when I do....I think I'll try the automatic transmission version...

No wrong choice in my opinion just personal ones...
Hear, here! Have one on me.
Just because the choice one way doesn't "fit" a given individual does not make the same choice a poor one for anybody else.

That the automatic was going to become the quicker (and consistently quicker) way to go for most everybody was becoming apparent at least as far back as the late 1960's. Obvious enough to me that I wrote a paper for some school class or other saying as much. The only difference now is that the comparison is 8A vs 6M instead of 4M vs 3A.

Norm
Old 05-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #91
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNation View Post
I've been driving a manual as a DD for the last 7 years, and for the last 4 years that includes a 45 minute commute in rush hour traffic. For me, I've never given much thought to traffic being an annoyance, as shifting became like breathing within months after learning to drive one. Outside of traffic though, it's really difficult to try and put into words the experience you feel while shifting and working the clutch. Again, not something that I go into deep thought about while I'm driving, but it's certainly a feeling of absence when we take out our 13' Camaro - which is an automatic. I have to rest my hand on the shifter in that car out of habit. Thankfully though, I've convinced my wife to let me teach her how to drive a manual so that we can trade in the 13' for the new SS w/MT.

I saw a few comments about younger drivers really liking paddle shifting. I'm not arguing with that, but being 25 I wonder if anyone else near my age finds paddle shifting to be awkward/awful/boring/overrated? I've given it an honest try for a long time now, and it's still just not something I can get behind. It's worse than trying to substitute a veggie burger for the real deal.
I'm 26, and I think paddle shifting is annoying, but I also don't like driving manuals. I love coupes, stiffer suspensions, and the sound of a V8, which is why I'm looking at the Camaro.

Extra effort while driving for poorer performance and fuel economy just doesn't appeal to me.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #92
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
I'll bookmark this and revisit this after there both out on the street for a few months. In the mean time you can look at C7 fast list. Your talking about the dated gen 5 auto that came attached to a motor making less power. Times have changed. I never heard someone say the manual had an advantage when launching, That's a first. And people did buy manuals because they were better performing. Now you have to take a loss to row your own gears. Again I'm not against manuals but it's more a novelty now. If they offered a crank to start it would you buy that also?
Quote:
This isn't true.

Attached Images

Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #93
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
This isn't true.

Any "gains" made due to "efficiency" in a manual vs auto debate are negated by the speed difference of a human shift vs computer. Then factor in the function of a torque converter and multiplication.
A manual will NOT make 20-30 more RWHP. That is rediculous. Try, MAYBE 10. Again, that HP difference is negated by the couple hundred milisecond shifts of the auto vs manual.
People DID used to buy manuals bc they were quicker. However, technology has refined the automatic enough that it is no longer a sluggish shifting slug, limmited to only 4 gears.
Thats not even mentioning the benefits of a Tq converter.
Auto: WILL be faster on the dragstrip. WILL shift faster.
Manual: slightly lighter. Allows more drivers control. Dyno SLIGHTLY more rwhp due to less parasitic loss.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #94
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
This isn't true.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but the facts are against in you in regards of manual vs automatic. Look at the fast lists for nearly any new car, and you will see that the fastest cars are nearly all automatics, with a very good manual driver here and there.

Additionally, the 5th gen Camaro is a different case. The manual Camaros have a more powerful motor than the automatics do. They are not more powerful simply due to a more efficient transmission. Even there, though, your point doesn't stand as many of the fastest stock 5th gen Camaros are automatics despite having less power than the manuals.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #95
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
The auto with the built in lag is the only real regret I have about my car. Would never buy another auto, the only time it's in the right gear is when stopped or if I take over.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #96
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeair042 View Post
I want a manual because it's more fun and I have control of what gear I am in, when I want to be in it. My automatic in my G8 is a pain. You're on the highway and want to stop on the pedal, it kicks down to 4th but still takes a few seconds to kick down. And I don't want to be in 4th because 3rd gear take me to 105.
Exactly. Even in Sport mode I'm in 6th gear at 45mph... Stomp on the gas at a 45mph coast and the car is trying to find the right gear before anything happens. Total PiTA.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #97
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I would not hesitate to buy one of today's automatics, especially the 8L90. While my ZL1 is a manual, I would have bought it just as quickly if it had the auto.

While I love to row the gears, I absolutely hate it when I am in traffic. I would be happy with either transmission but if there were two cars side by side, identical in every way and one had the new 8 speed and the other the 7 speed manual, I would not hesitate a millisecond to buy the automatic.

It IS that good of a transmission.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #98
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
The auto with the built in lag is the only real regret I have about my car. Would never buy another auto, the only time it's in the right gear is when stopped or if I take over.
Drive the new 8 speed and see if you can get it to lag. I hear it's near impossible.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote