Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #85
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I love how these cars slowly lose the cladding over time. Looks like the rear diffuser is going to be pretty aggressive.

+1. And there's little tricks they've learned from other cars you can see them using, like the painted-metal heat shielding around the mufflers.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #86
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Every new pic of the 2014 Corvette leads me to believe the leak at Jalopnik was the real deal. The exhaust design and square tail lights match perfectly.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #87
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ts-new-lt1-v-8

"If you expected the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette’s fifth-generation small block Chevy V-8 to be chock full of technology, it sounds like you won’t be disappointed. Chevy has announced the specifications for it’s latest 6.2-liter LT1, and they are impressive indeed.

First, the new engine will make 450 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque. That’s serious output, even in stock form, but even better is that it will make over 400 pound-feet of torque between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm.

That kind of twist is good enough to get the base C7 Corvette from 0-60 in under 4.0 seconds, a number that almost ties the 2012 Z06 Corvette’s time of 3.7 seconds. Technology helps here, and
the Gen 5 V-8 will get direct injection with “on demand” adjustable pressure, variable valve timing and a twisted-head design

Expect the new V-8 to be lighter (in fact, it’s lighter than BMW’s 4.4-liter V-8) and more fuel efficient, too. Thanks to cylinder deactivation technology (which turns the 6.2-liter V-8 into a 3.2-liter V-4), fuel economy is upped by some 20-percent.

In fact, Chevy claims that the C7 Corvette will deliver up to 26 mpg highway, which is amazing for a car that sprints to 60 in under four seconds. We’ll bring you more on the Generation 5 LT1 and the the C7 Corvette as soon as it breaks."
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #88
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
More info here:

http://www.ncminsurance.com/corvette-c7-lt1-engine.html

It sounds like all versions will have AFM and VVT. Don't really like the AFM part. But I do hope the LT1 get into the Camaro, sooner rather than later.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #89
Anti_Rice_Guy

Drives: 95 Camaro Z28 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_Rich View Post

In fact, Chevy claims that the C7 Corvette will deliver up to 26 mpg highway, which is amazing for a car that sprints to 60 in under four seconds. "
26 mpg is NOT the most fuel efficient Corvette. Disappointing.

Support Team FARM in it's charity endeavors!
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #90
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
I think you are forgetting that the EPA changed their fuel economy numbers a few years ago. The numbers from the new test are about 10% lower than they would have been under the old one. And since they're talking about active fuel management, I'm thinking that this is the automatic version which is currently rated at 25 mpg (and was 24 with the LS2, and 23 with the LS1).

As a side note ... what an age we live in where its disappointing that a 450 hp car, capable of a sub 4 second 0-60 gets 26 mpg on the highway. Not too long ago it felt like a V6 sedan with half the power was doing well to post that kind of mileage.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #91
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As a side note ... what an age we live in where its disappointing that a 450 hp car, capable of a sub 4 second 0-60 gets 26 mpg on the highway.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #92
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I think GM is showing a few of their cards right now, but I am not concerned they are showing the new dominance and standards that they have had up their sleeves.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #93
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Q&A with Corvettes Chief Engineer from Motortrend

Found this on the Motortrend app on my IPad.

“If we didn’t care about fuel economy, the car could be a lot lighter,” said Tadge Juechter, Chief Engineer/Vehicle Line Director for the Corvette. Juechter was pointing out that the fuel-reducing technology on GM’s all-new Gen 5 LT1 V-8 that’s set to power the new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette adds mass but reduces consumption so much more that they are worth the mass investment.

The total dressed mass of the new LT1 engine is slightly higher than the previous version, due to its added technology. But the head and block received some wall thickness reductions to reduce mass and there’s some machining on the heads done strictly for mass reduction. The dry-sump engine will be optional on higher-performance Corvette variants. More street oriented ones get the wet sump.

We were there with Juechter, who’s been with GM for more than 30 years and is largely considered the father of the modern Corvette, and the rest of the LT1 team at the new engine’s unveiling. Below is a sampling from a Q&A session at the event with answers from Juechter and his LT1 team.

MT: Why no cam-in-cam phasing like the Viper uses?

LT1 Team: That would have made the engine significantly longer and heavier and the benefits did not outweigh the packaging downside.

MT: Why is this still a small block?

LT1 Team: The 4.4-inch bore spacing is a sacrosanct hallmark of the small block, as is the interchangeability of the cylinder heads (one head fits left or right banks). These are about the only specific attributes; the rest is just evolutionary architecture. It’s a small block because its predecessor was. Deck height, block length, crank-to-cam centerline distance are all the same as Gen 4 as are rod length and piston compression height. A huge amount of analysis went into eliminating structure-borne noises, so that the intake and exhaust noise tuning could be optimized to what customers expect, without resorting to acoustic pipes and so forth. And when the engine is running in V-4 mode, it’s at such low rpm, you really can’t hear it. The team won’t comment on active noise cancellation until the various products using the engine are rolled out [today’s discussion ended at the exhaust manifolds, no vehicle integration specifics are being shared].

MT: Will this engine be tunable with turbos and the like?

LT1 Team: GM does not build in a lot of extra mass just to provide headroom for future tuning. [The team deferred on the question of what it might take to get the fuel system to deliver enough extra juice to feed aftermarket turbos and so forth.]

MT: Why the cast iron exhaust manifold?

LT1 Team: The port shapes and manufacturing consistency were great for cast iron, and far less complex than previous assembled manifolds.

MT: What about recent concerns about intake-valve deposits on direct-injection engines?

LT1 Team: Deposits are caused by oil that either seeps by the intake valve systems or is ingested through the PCV system. The LT1’s improved air/oil separation is a key enabler in preventing these deposits. We’ve experienced no deposits in our development engines.

MT: What sort of fuel injector strategy is used?

LT1 Team: The injectors feature six holes, and they inject multiple squirts under cold-start conditions, but a single spray under normal conditions. The racing team tested direct injection and learned a lot of lessons. One was that their external pump was heavier and more complicated than the cam-lobe-powered system incorporated in the LT1. This IS the first overhead-valve engine to feature direct injection.

MT: What sort of future does the small block face?

LT1 Team: Obviously the investment in Tonawanda will require way more than the Corvette to fill, so the corporation is committed to the small block’s future, even in a 54-mpg world. Towing is tough to match with other solutions.

MT: Any Nurburgring times to share?

LT1 Team: No, we don’t develop there; we validate at the ‘Ring later in the program, which will be in the next few months.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
It's not?

By the way, the current number is an estimate...My bets are on 27mpg hwy being the published number from EPA.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #95
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It's not?

By the way, the current number is an estimate...My bets are on 27mpg hwy being the published number from EPA.
I think he remembers the 97 C5 Vette had a 28mpg highway rating. But like someone else said those ratings would probably be around 25 by today's methods of figuring the EPA ratings. Also that Vette only produced 345 HP & 335 ft lbs tq, not 450HP & 450 ft lbs tq like the C7 will.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #96
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think he remembers the 97 C5 Vette had a 28mpg highway rating. But like someone else said those ratings would probably be around 25 by today's methods of figuring the EPA ratings. Also that Vette only produced 345 HP & 340tq, not 450HP & 450tq like the C7 will.
That's where my head was at.

I remember when the Camaro concept originally came out...they estimated they could achieve 30mpg out of a 400hp SS.....and they could have - and then the EPA changed their scales/process, and we got 25, instead.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #97
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
I recall a friend's L-88, while racing, seemed to get 26 miles to a 1/2 TANK! And it didn't run a 3.6 60'.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #98
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Found this in another thread..... Interesting

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-reve...g-twin-turbos/
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote