Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #71
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
How many seconds faster around the track would the ZL1 need to go to be considered "eating the GT350R for lunch and spitting it out"? 5 seconds?
Well the z28 vs 350r head to head had the R beat the Z by a little over a sec. everyone on the other forum said it smoked the Z. So to eat it for lunch and spit out, I would guess in the 2 sec range.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #72
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
How many seconds faster around the track would the ZL1 need to go to be considered "eating the GT350R for lunch and spitting it out"? 5 seconds?
Well the 350R beat the 1LE by about 3 seconds at Laguna... so I would say more than 3!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #73
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
Well the z28 vs 350r head to head had the R beat the Z by a little over a sec. everyone on the other forum said it smoked the Z. So to eat it for lunch and spit out, I would guess in the 2 sec range.
Camaro5 forum? 2 seconds is a decisive victory, not so sure about eating it up and chewing out talk. 1 second is a step forward, but I would have never used "smoked" as an adjective for it, that's for sure.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #74
13vertss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Well the 350R beat the 1LE by about 3 seconds at Laguna... so I would say more than 3!
Not the same class of car. The 1le is more gt350. So the R should beat the 1le by 3 sec.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #75
13vertss

Quote:
Camaro5 forum? 2 seconds is a decisive victory, not so sure about eating it up and chewing out talk. 1 second is a step forward, but I would have never used "smoked" as an adjective for it, that's for sure.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Nope the Mustang one. They feel the R smoked the Z in there head to head battle even tho it was just over a sec.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #76
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I believe the Z/28 still had better times than the GT350R at other tracks.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #77
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I believe the Z/28 still had better times than the GT350R at other tracks.
Indubitably

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #78
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I think you're thinking of a VIR test done by C&D magazine because Randy Pobst drove both cars at Laguna Seca and the difference was only 1.6 seconds (1:36.11 -1:37.78) .Considering that GT350R has more power, Carbon Fiber wheels, Carbon ceramic brakes, better and wider tire advantage, 1LE is very close . ZL1 should be on 1:34-1:35 range at Laguna Seca I assume.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #79
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I think you're thinking of a VIR test done by C&D magazine because Randy Pobst drove both cars at Laguna Seca and the difference was only 1.6 seconds (1:36.11 -1:37.78) .Considering that GT350R has more power, Carbon Fiber wheels, Carbon ceramic brakes, better and wider tire advantage, 1LE is very close . ZL1 should be on 1:34-1:35 range at Laguna Seca I assume.
None of the GT350's come with carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #80
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
If it just "hangs" with the 350R IMO that would be a big fail for GM, I think just about everyone expects to put up the better stat line as far as measurables go, including lap time. I guess the only outlier could be if they were on a very tight technical track
I have no doubt that the ZL1 will put up a better lap time than the GT350R. Track cars is what Chevy does best and it has a huge power advantage. I just strongly feel that even being equal to both (GT350R and Hellcat) is a major accomplishment. Exceeding is pure excellence.
Quote:
...it's definitely special, showing just how much potential the sixth-gen Camaro sits on.
With the right parts in the right places, the ZL1 has become a wicked drag car for bracket racing, an approachable street car that will throw you in jail if you ask it to, and a balance and engaging track car with unreal limits. It's a real triple threat.

- Autombile Magazine: April 2017

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #81
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
any which way, the GT350 will win in the engine sound department
I started early & killed way too many doves/white wings in my younger days not using earplugs with my shotguns...I'm happy to hear what i can & wouldn't be able to appreciate the difference in note with a flat plane crank.

Not that I would pick a car on how it sounded...just think it's funny sound would be a consideration along with other factors or even worth chest thumping.

Tinitus / hearing loss...simply sucks.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #82
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurac View Post
I paid $61K out the door last year on my track pack with tax, title, and registration. My sticker was something like $57K. My brother picked up a used R earlier this year with less than 1K miles for $83K.

You aren't going to walk into a Ford dealer and expect to pay sticker on a 350, unfortunately. You have to do your due diligence.
Man, I tried....trust me, but never even got into sticker /price with the calls I made to Ford dealers. I assumed the 350 was $60-$65 & The R $65-$70.

When every dealer told me to come down & discuss...I said only if you are willing to go sticker so it never went any further. I was interested in the R only. I had no idea sticker itself was in the $80k range. I thought that included the added jack with lack of lube when hearing those numbers in casual conversation when researching my first real hot wheel purchase.

I totally get the whole fan boy deal, but do NOT understand $20k+ & added ADM to own the Ford vs the A10 I got for $65k?? The R is a bad car, but doesn't seem anywhere worth that much more to own your preferred flavor, & how one can get a ZL1 down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I know lots of folks where burning off $20k is no different that me loosing a $20 bill...there are levels of wealth I'll never comprehend, but the ford badge isn't giving you that sort of value over the Z, much less this new 1le.

Crazy...thanks for the 411. It's gonna make me smile if I ever get to pull up next to one in town. Love it. Cannot tell you guys how tickled I aim to have found out about this Camaro. I'm sure I would have been happy with an R if it was the same price as the ZL1, but even the exterior aesthetics (subjective) are more my style & impressive. Both great cars, but bravo to GM & the entire ZL1 team who made this happen.

I'll be honest & say being indifferent to brand loyalty can be an advantage at times...having said that, I wish I had the wealth to put an A10 Raptor parked next to the Z in the driveway. Would have been cool to have the kissing cousin transmission in a killer truck sitting next to the Zl1. My Dad tried to buy the bird, but not for $10k ADM. It's a bummer & would have been a blast at the ranch.

Sorry for the ramble... This head to head should be stellar. I really don't care if Randy is indeed biased to the Ford as his opinion wouldn't have influenced my purchase. I'll enjoy hearing his pros/cons on each.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #83
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTFuXhFBY0O/ They just got done filming so now we wait several months for it to up on OnDemand.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #84
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Man, I tried....trust me, but never even got into sticker /price with the calls I made to Ford dealers. I assumed the 350 was $60-$65 & The R $65-$70.

When every dealer told me to come down & discuss...I said only if you are willing to go sticker so it never went any further. I was interested in the R only. I had no idea sticker itself was in the $80k range. I thought that included the added jack with lack of lube when hearing those numbers in casual conversation when researching my first real hot wheel purchase.

I totally get the whole fan boy deal, but do NOT understand $20k+ & added ADM to own the Ford vs the A10 I got for $65k?? The R is a bad car, but doesn't seem anywhere worth that much more to own your preferred flavor, & how one can get a ZL1 down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I know lots of folks where burning off $20k is no different that me loosing a $20 bill...there are levels of wealth I'll never comprehend, but the ford badge isn't giving you that sort of value over the Z, much less this new 1le.

Crazy...thanks for the 411. It's gonna make me smile if I ever get to pull up next to one in town. Love it. Cannot tell you guys how tickled I aim to have found out about this Camaro. I'm sure I would have been happy with an R if it was the same price as the ZL1, but even the exterior aesthetics (subjective) are more my style & impressive. Both great cars, but bravo to GM & the entire ZL1 team who made this happen.

I'll be honest & say being indifferent to brand loyalty can be an advantage at times...having said that, I wish I had the wealth to put an A10 Raptor parked next to the Z in the driveway. Would have been cool to have the kissing cousin transmission in a killer truck sitting next to the Zl1. My Dad tried to buy the bird, but not for $10k ADM. It's a bummer & would have been a blast at the ranch.

Sorry for the ramble... This head to head should be stellar. I really don't care if Randy is indeed biased to the Ford as his opinion wouldn't have influenced my purchase. I'll enjoy hearing his pros/cons on each.
The R does not sticker anywhere near $80k. Msrp starts at $62,195 and I don't think the car gets anymore expensive than $68k, even with every option available. The car would have been a good value, but the hype really seems to have driven folks crazy.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote