Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #71
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Service manual isn't on sale yet. helminc.com will sell it when it finally is released.
will keep a lookout.
I should pick up the car first before a buy the manual. lol
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #72
Juno

Drives: 16 rs camaro v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
OK so I didn't see any oil but I did notice some carbon buildup around the throttle body opening.

I have an eBay catch can for 20 bucks and I didn't want to permanently attach it so it is secured by zip ties for now.

I have just under 3k miles right now.

Pictures below of install.
How's it working out for you so far
Juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #73
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
OK so over 4k miles since that post and about that many since installing the mishimoto can on the dirty side.

Below is the can just removed, then a cloth I used to completely wipe it clean.

So that's it after 4k fairly hard miles. I don't baby this car driving around.

All I can say is it has never been run in super humid climates or super cold. Hot, temperate temperatures. Dry to normal humidity.
Attached Images

cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #74
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Thanks for posting this I think catch cans are a great idea, But I think with the changes made from the 5th to 6th gen the car is doing a great job on its own.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #75
cellsafemode

Some people seem to be getting significantly more than me.

It is unclear if it is an environmental difference or just random differences in the engine.

I can just tell you from all the evidence I've gathered first hand that they seem to be over kill for the lgx.

Nothing wrong with over kill though if you have the means. Not going to hurt anything if you do decide to install one. I would just not expect anything if you don't see evidence of oil prior to installing the can.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #76
cellsafemode

Just an additional note.

The oil I drained after about 5500 miles was strong smelling like fuel. It was much darker than I expected after about 5k miles. I use fram ultra synth filters so the filtration is good, especially for only 1/3 the recommended mileage for the filter, and about the same for the oil.

So it seems with direct injection engines, changing your oil every 5k may be a good idea. Even with full synth. ( I use Pennzoil Platinum full synth 5w30).
Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #77
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Wow that is nothing in the catch can!

I'm still planning to dyno my car with and without all the intake boltons I have. So, I'll take some more valve photos when I have the intake manifold off.

I'm up over 7000 mi now so it should be easy to make a comparison to the first photo's I've posted.

About the oil changes I think you are right shooting for 5000 miles. Seems that the car itself request them that frequently. I did my first early around 700 miles and the 2nd at 3000 miles. The cars computer will probably urge me to get another change around 8000 miles (think it's saying ~15% oil life remaining).
Old 01-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #78
cellsafemode

yea. I reset my oil life at around 1500 miles and it just went off (less than 5% life remaining) around 7500.

5000 seems like a nice round number to pay attention to. Seems a shame to run full synth for only 5k miles but that oil needed changing. The oil life meter is no joke on this car.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #79
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Or maybe some catch cans are more effective than others.

I collected a good ounce of oil/fuel mix in about 2500 miles.

KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #80
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Or maybe some catch cans are more effective than others.

I collected a good ounce of oil/fuel mix in about 2500 miles.

Well What the hell!!!! now im on the fence again. What catch can are you running and how did you hook it up ?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #81
Dustya

my issue is time I really want to do all this and keep my car running great but the average joe will never do this stuff so is it really needed ? No track no 1/4 runs some spirited driving I have a strong knowledge of all of it but a full time job and a home based business a 5 year old and 3 year old I just cant find the time to do it and have a hard time trusting anyone else.

Maybe we can get some others posting with catch cans I really want to protect my car from the crap that makes it through but is it really needed ? im really torn
Old 01-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #82
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Well What the hell!!!! now im on the fence again. What catch can are you running and how did you hook it up ?
I have the Elite Engineering catch can 3 port. There is an install thread that I created back in the summer. Just search my threads. I also have a youtube video of the install.

I run diesels on waste vegetable oil so I am a bit compulsive about clean valves. I have water injection installed on my diesels. I will be installing water injection on my Camaro soon to blast the combustion chamber clean. I plan on driving this car for a long time.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #83
cryssm

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
my issue is time I really want to do all this and keep my car running great but the average joe will never do this stuff so is it really needed ? No track no 1/4 runs some spirited driving I have a strong knowledge of all of it but a full time job and a home based business a 5 year old and 3 year old I just cant find the time to do it and have a hard time trusting anyone else.

Maybe we can get some others posting with catch cans I really want to protect my car from the crap that makes it through but is it really needed ? im really torn
I, too, am undecided on whether to install a catch can. In the meantime (and as stated by others, also), I recommend using this or a similar product; it doesn't require much time or effort, and can help keep the carbon build-up down. It's available at most auto parts stores.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #84
KirkH

Chevron Techron and Gumout Regane are 2 more products that have PolyEther Amine (PEA). If it doesn't have PEA, it is not effective cleaning the valve top.