Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #71
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
THE 2016 SS already comes with a tune as in -TRACK MODE-. Risking a loss of warantee and engine stress to gain 15HP is kind of silly. What mode do these tunes work on? touring?, sport? track? never mentioned.

I once tried to tune my 2016 Stingray and lost 3 working modes. Only sport worked and the car drove worse. Unless you are ripping out major parts on a brand new 40-60K car then a tune doesnt makes sense - more so because you will be throwing off engine codes and need a tune to correct them.

Ive modded and tuned 8 major brand sports cars 2012-2016 - every year the tunes produce less and less benefit on a stock setup. Its quickly becoming a zero sum gain. Rather keep my cars integrity intact and give up the 10 - 15 extra horse I cant really feel.
The Engine tuning works in all modes and does not affect how many you have or don't have.

I tell all my customers, power comes from the parts tuning makes the parts work properly.

Your right tuning alone does not produce additional power but there are a host of benefits.

Tuning frees up power you don't have access to through torque management reductions.

Keeps power available through engine temp controls.

Turns off skip shift.

Turns off AFM

Removes speed limiters for those in competition.

Raises rev limit to increase power range.

Optimizes AFR for max power through the rev range.

Optimizes timing for the fuel your running.

Improves overall feel of car.

Adjusts all necessary parameters for addition of aftermarket parts be it a simple cai or a full on build with forced induction, cams etc.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #72
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Damn. I was one of your first customers. I was one of, if not the first guy on LS1Tech to do the "Berger" panel.
heck, I go back to Hutch starting LS1.com LOL LS1Tech, they are the newbies.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #73
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFORMULA View Post
I'm just coming back to the Camaro from years over on the Ford side. It is completely normal to get mail order tunes with coyotes. Most are right on the money with simple bolt ons. I've used a few different tuners. I have an sct x3 and the new hptuners ngauge. If tuners stepped up their game over here they would open a whole new market. The ford tuners have it down to a science. Place your order and list your mods and the they email you the tune. Transfer it to the handheld and put the tune in. done. It's that simple. The Chevy tuners need to understand how this works and get on it. My new 2017 SS is begging for mods and if they won't do it when I'm ready I'll buy hptuners again and tune it myself like the old days I guess.
I went to the Euro / Honda tuning world for a decade and mail order tunes were near perfect, just took time and a lot of data logs.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #74
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
heck, I go back to Hutch starting LS1.com LOL LS1Tech, they are the newbies.
I was on LS1.com as well...I didn't touch LS1Tech all that much until LS1.com basically died...around 2001 or so if I recall?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:29 AM   #75
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The Engine tuning works in all modes and does not affect how many you have or don't have.

I tell all my customers, power comes from the parts tuning makes the parts work properly.

Your right tuning alone does not produce additional power but there are a host of benefits.

Tuning frees up power you don't have access to through torque management reductions.

Keeps power available through engine temp controls.

Turns off skip shift.

Turns off AFM

Removes speed limiters for those in competition.

Raises rev limit to increase power range.

Optimizes AFR for max power through the rev range.

Optimizes timing for the fuel your running.

Improves overall feel of car.

Adjusts all necessary parameters for addition of aftermarket parts be it a simple cai or a full on build with forced induction, cams etc.

Ted.

All of the above worked great for the most part on a 2013 Corvette (as it did on my 5 other previous cars) However 75% of the above did not on a 2016 stingray (using a tuner that rhymes with Biablo). The Camaro is basically the 2016 stingray with a few different internal parts. I have not yet found a vendor that can optimize a car with mode options - nor even get them to work properly. Track mode is still better than any tune on a 2016, without the needless risk of waranatee loss and damage to the vehicle.

Tearing out Cams, adding FI...etc - you have no choice than to tune.

Pulling out of my driveway and into the street, while losing my ability to use the gas peddle was a bit concerning. (the 3 disabled modes I mentioned after the tune). So basically for the $400 I paid for the rhymes with "Biablosport" tuner and the additional $150 for the CUSTOM tune I received these working items:

+ Turn off AFM (one of the silliest items to turn off - does not apply to tracking whatsoever. Less MPG is better for no HP gain?)
+ Turn off speed limiter (in case driving 170+ mph wasnt enough - you will NOT reach that speed on a typical 1/4 - 1/2 mile track, nor probably ever unless you find an abandoned runway and have balls of steel)
+ Turn off skip shift - now that was a plus no doubt
+ Ramping up RPMs and messing with the fuel table - ahhh, no thx I like to keep my car out of the shop.
+ Thats it

Ive always said tuning is the #1 best mod, however that doesnt apply to many of the newer 2016 performance cars. This is from actual hands on testing on the cars mentioned - 2016 SS and Stingray.

I have the worlds best side job, but am not allowed to mention what that job is specifically, hype or Rip a product name or else I risk losing that most excellent, non-paying side job. ------

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 08-24-2016 at 02:44 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #76
DisturbedSS

On the bright side, my new CAI (sigh, that I cant mention) and Borla Stingers (one I can mention) really made a difference without tuning. Stingers more so for sound on a non NPP system. The nameless CAI made a difference in performance at the higher RPMs, as do most CAIs installed on a stock system. Its normally as far as I go aftermarket anymore on the 2016s - sans cosmetic upgrades.

As Ive learned (the hard way) over the years...dont waste a ton of money swapping out majorly expensive parts on a new car - just save the money and go FI later. In the long run it will cost the same and give you far better performance. You are tearing your car apart anyways and giving that power-train warantee the 1 finger salute, so go for broke. Tune till your fingers bleed!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #77
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
All of the above worked great for the most part on a 2013 Corvette (as it did on my 5 other previous cars) However 75% of the above did not on a 2016 stingray (using a tuner that rhymes with Biablo). The Camaro is basically the 2016 stingray with a few different internal parts. I have not yet found a vendor that can optimize a car with mode options - nor even get them to work properly. Track mode is still better than any tune on a 2016, without the needless risk of waranatee loss and damage to the vehicle.

Pulling out of my driveway and into the street, while losing my ability to use the gas peddle was a bit concerning. (the 3 disabled modes I mentioned after the tune). So basically for the $400 I paid for the rhymes with "Biablosport" tuner and the additional $150 for the CUSTOM tune I received these working items:

+ Turn off AFM (one of the silliest items to turn off - does not apply to tracking whatsoever. Less MPG is better for no HP gain?)
+ Turn off speed limiter (in case driving 170+ mph wasnt enough - you will NOT reach that speed on a typical 1/4 - 1/2 mile track, nor probably ever unless you find an abandoned runway and have balls of steel)
+ Ramping up RPMs and messing with the fuel table - ahhh, no thx I like to keep my car out of the shop.
+ Thats it

Ive always said tuning is the #1 best mod, however that doesnt apply to many of the newer 2016 performance cars. This is from actual hands on testing on the cars mentioned - 2016 SS and Stingray.

I have the worlds best side job, but am not allowed to mention what that job is specifically, hype or Rip a product name or else I risk losing that most excellent, non-paying side job. ------
The software you used is so limited I can see how you came to your conclusion.

Try tuning with SCT or HPtuners and it is a whole new world.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #78
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:

+ Thats it

You realize that Track mode literally does nothing to increase horsepower. It tightens up the steering, adjusts the MRC if equipped, and opens the exhaust. The car will dyno the same from Tour to Sport to Track.

Every single 2016 performance vehicle benefits from a tune. Some more than others. If you just tune your vehicle the gains are minimal, but after adding an intake and exhaust the gains are exponentially more. Just because you had a bad experience with possibly one of the worst tuning devices on the market does not make you an expert on what does and does not work on this platform.

Get a real tuning device and then formulate an opinion - the rest of us are enjoying it.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #79
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
You realize that Track mode literally does nothing to increase horsepower. It tightens up the steering, adjusts the MRC if equipped, and opens the exhaust. The car will dyno the same from Tour to Sport to Track.
I believe Track also advances throttle response and firms shifts on the automatic as well, which could be giving him the illusion.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:09 AM   #80
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I did just give diablo the oem tune from mine. So things should be speeding up on their end as well.

I am NOT a believer of canned/ots tunes, won't ever use them. Every car is different... Get it custom tuned via protune on a dyno or mail in (do some logging and get it tweaked).

Im pretty sure every 2016 Camaro SS is pretty much the same when it comes to stock internals. You definitely cant tune handling and package options.

Theres nothing wrong with canned tunes on a stock or mostly stock setup (simple CAI swap and/or axle back swap). Ive tuned 8 different make/model sports cars and NEVER had an issue until I got to the 2016 models - especially Chevy. Camaro SS and Corvette Stingray. Why tune a brand new car when it comes with pre-loaded factory tunes already - touring/sport and track.

My tuned 2016 Corvette was slower on every run at the track against the factory Track setting. Granted it was a canned tune, but then again a dyno tune is ultra expensive and you dont always have the luxury of going back to stock - and you WILL need to go back to stock at some point.

Im still amazed that people will risk voiding warantees, running too rich or too lean or putting greater load on an engine to gain 10HP - maybe, in some cases LOSE 10HP on a 50K car fresh off the lot. Im not going to tune to turn the limiter off and drive 200MPH or turn off something that gets me better gas mileage while maintaining 100% of the performance (AFM)- stupid. Hell the 2016 SS auto camaro is a gear shifting king, why would you jack with near transmission perfection?

The safest and biggest bang for the buck has always been exhaust swaps (WITH cats) and a CAI. Your warantee is intact and you gain butt dyno performance. No vendor will ever admit it, but the 2016 cars dont really improve much with tunes unless you gut the car and THEN tune the enhanced parts. By then you are 100% on your own for fixing the inevitable issues that 3rd party parts bring.

Honestly I see the benefits of tuning, just playing devils advocate. Tuning older model cars (2015 and older) makes sense in most cases when craving quick and easy performance gains - 100% agreement on that. Until proven otherwise 2016 has become my first year of ditching the tuning - thumbs up to the engineers at Chevy for saving me $650!

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 08-26-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 AM   #81
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post

Every single 2016 performance vehicle benefits from a tune. Some more than others. If you just tune your vehicle the gains are minimal, but after adding an intake and exhaust the gains are exponentially more. Just because you had a bad experience with possibly one of the worst tuning devices on the market does not make you an expert on what does and does not work on this platform.

Get a real tuning device and then formulate an opinion - the rest of us are enjoying it.
"Every single 2016 performance vehicle benefits from a tune."

Thats a very subjective blanket statement and my ACTUAL hands on experience says otherwise so far this year. Im NOT saying there is no benefit, just that the minor gains do not justify the steep cost of a tuner, tune and loss of warantee (in some cases). Its an opinion based on a different set of vendors/cars.

You can certainly tune and gain a few HP with stock components, but the benefits are getting slimmer every year because car makers are playing the performance number game - aka HP numbers. Its a reach to the top while keeping federal mandates in place. Auto engineers are opening up past restrictive settings then adding better handling components and noise control.

So far this year...
Driven and tuned a 2016 Stingray
Driven and tuned a 2016 Challenger R/T
Driven and tuned a 2016 Mustang GT
Owned and driven a 2016 Camaro SS

Used the preferred vendor tuning device for each model above as well( minus the SS). We all know the SS internals are nothing more than slightly dialed down Corvette internals, so I see no need to test a tune this go-round of the exact same engine.

Its a glorious experience, driving these beasts - vs the polar opposite when I no longer have access to them. Like smacking an iPhone from a 3 year olds hand and the subsequent cries from temporary loss of internet access.

2016 is a unique year for stock vehicle overall performance - AS IS - probably the best year Ive seen in a very long time.

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 08-26-2016 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:06 AM   #82
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
I believe Track also advances throttle response and firms shifts on the automatic as well, which could be giving him the illusion.
Illusion = Reality or is reality just an illusion here?

...better throttle response translates to faster 0-60 and quarter mile runs. If you push a peddle and it responds faster, you will probably get to the next stop light a little faster.

What happens when Teslas family Sedan S and "minivan" wing door X model go mainstream (maybe) and a soccer mom "X" full of groceries and screaming 2 year olds blows by your muscle car like it was standing still. Just listen for the "WOOSH". It will be a sad day when a gas induced V8 becomes 2nd fiddle to a battery operated autonomous car. Ludicrous! <pun intended>

C'mon Tesla, let me test one of these self driving double DD batteries! Im not worthy. Way off topic.

Yea, sorry I'm trolling too much in this forum. I love you guys, you drive what I drive! OK, lets not get carried away here...I enjoy responses to unpopular opinions.

All BS aside...I do literally love my fully loaded SS (2SS package) with its aftermarket Performance CAI, Borla Stinger axle backs, lots of cosmetic bling and zero visibility when changing lanes. Best car Ive driven to date IMO (even better the Corvette) and thats saying a LOT!

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 08-26-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #83
blkbeauty16

Drives: 2019 zl1
So from this thread it seems like its a waste of time to do either a dyno tune or e mail unless you plan on doing some heavy mods to the car?
blkbeauty16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #84
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbeauty16 View Post
So from this thread it seems like its a waste of time to do either a dyno tune or e mail unless you plan on doing some heavy mods to the car?
At this point yes. An auto down the road will have the advantage of more specific shift tuning, but all those tables are yet to be fully explored. IMO at this point it is not worth taking the chance of losing your powertrain warranty for a few ponies and maybe a little less torque management here and there.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote