Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #71
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Drives: Chrysler Aspen Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
I just to address this... the US was never technically at war with Korea, which is why it was called the Korean Conflict, not the Korean War. It was UN declaration of war, not a US. CONGRESS NEVER DECLARED WAR AGAINST KOREA!!! If you remember/care to look up, Douglas MacArthur was the leader of the UN forces until Truman called him back to the US and didn't allow for the use of nuclear weapons. We therefore do not have the necessary authority to just attack.

Another thing to realize is that the US has tactical nukes stationed in South Korea as anti-personnel weaponry... The losses against the Chinese army were realized, and the small tactical nukes were placed there to deal with another similar case. North Korea knows this, and we know they know this.

The one thing that makes North Korea scary is the fact that their leader as effectively brainwashed the entire population. Many of the North Koreans will blindly follow their leader to the death.

It is also worth noting that Kim's health is failing, and he does not truly have a successor. His children are practically all pathetic. One of his sons is gay (nothing against gays, but it is a big deal in Asian culture), and another one is fat and lazy and lives in France most of the time. With this in mind, he needs to shake things up and put his country on the map while he still can. Which is why I am positive that things will blow over. He knows he is cornered, and he is not as stupid as many make him out to be.
Well written & accurate.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 06-27-2009 at 01:42 PM.
CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #72
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
The biggest problem we have with N. Korea, are the several thousand artillery pieces they have within range of the the south's capital. Once the shooting starts, we just couldn't eliminate 'em all before they lay waste to it.

Even though that little guy over there running the show is a nut, he's smart enough to know how inexperienced our current administration is, and will push hard trying to find out what all he can get away with. He knows our leader is weak, and doesn't have the stomach for a real fight. Because of this capitulationist attitude he believes us to be controlled by, this whole situation could get out of hand in a hurry.

If the shooting does start, it would get real nasty. Due to the logistics of it all, the north simply could not win...(assuming our administration will allow our armed forces to fight up to their fullest capabilities)...but they could make us bleed...BADLY!

My father was over there at the tail end of the war just before the cease-fire took effect. There wasn't one good thing he had to say about the entire Korean peninsula. In fact, he called it the armpit of the world. He said the whole country literally stunk. The land was completely worthless, agriculturally speaking. The people were the ugliest people he's ever seen before or since. And the rats in those bunkers gorging themselves on the bodies, really were the size of small dogs. And they weren't afraid of you when you walked up to 'em...they'd actually challenge you instead. He couldn't wait to get out of there and back to Japan.
I agree with everything you wrote, except the part about the current leader not having the stomach for a fight.

We will only know that for sure if push comes to shove.

I am not sure that President Obama's current diplomatic ventures into the Middle East should be viewed as weak.

If it bears no fruit and he continues on with the same polices, then it will be weakness.

Only time will tell on this one.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #73
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Unforunately, many times bombings and shellings do not work. Thats why the battle of Iwo Jima was so devastatng for us.

Not saying NK would be like that, but sometimes its like you said - there just has to be troups on the ground in order to accomplish the mission.
- X
No mission. Just bombs. thats the point.

Mission = wipe out North Korea. NOT Mission = wipe out, conquer and rebuild north korea
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #74
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
No mission. Just bombs. thats the point.

Mission = wipe out North Korea. NOT Mission = wipe out, conquer and rebuild north korea
6,000,000 or so children in NK.

Them to?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #75
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

All I can say is, Thank God that American Foreign policy is NOT decided in chat rooms.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #76
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
crazy world we live in
Old 06-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #77
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
crazy world we live in
You hit that nail on the head.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #78
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
I just to address this... the US was never technically at war with Korea, which is why it was called the Korean Conflict, not the Korean War. It was UN declaration of war, not a US. CONGRESS NEVER DECLARED WAR AGAINST KOREA!!! If you remember/care to look up, Douglas MacArthur was the leader of the UN forces until Truman called him back to the US and didn't allow for the use of nuclear weapons. We therefore do not have the necessary authority to just attack.

Another thing to realize is that the US has tactical nukes stationed in South Korea as anti-personnel weaponry... The losses against the Chinese army were realized, and the small tactical nukes were placed there to deal with another similar case. North Korea knows this, and we know they know this.

The one thing that makes North Korea scary is the fact that their leader as effectively brainwashed the entire population. Many of the North Koreans will blindly follow their leader to the death.

It is also worth noting that Kim's health is failing, and he does not truly have a successor. His children are practically all pathetic. One of his sons is gay (nothing against gays, but it is a big deal in Asian culture), and another one is fat and lazy and lives in France most of the time. With this in mind, he needs to shake things up and put his country on the map while he still can. Which is why I am positive that things will blow over. He knows he is cornered, and he is not as stupid as many make him out to be.
Congress never had to declare war. Congress ratified the UN war. In what basically amounts to constitutional technicalities, the US Congress ratified a UN declaration of war and funded the "police action" of US forces. In effect, the US, as a member of the UN, went to war as representatives of the UN. The US is the major player in this police action, which would traditionally be described as a war. For that reason, we refer to the Korean police action as the Korean War. Not only does it sound better, but it more appropriately describes what happened than police action, which implies that the US was engaged in arresting and trying or fighting non-government forces. Police actions, at least in the eyes of many Americans, tend to correlate with US troops fighting rebels or terrorists rather than seeking to combat a regime.

The US is still constitutionally in a position to go to war with North Korea because the UN resolutions to enter into combat with North Korea were never repealed. Since the US is a member of the UN Security Council, the US has an obligation to continue fulfilling its role as a source of troops. Moreover, Congress never repealed support for American military interventions in Korea, so the US can still participate in military conflict there without violating domestic or international law.

Yes—it is complicated. I tried to keep it simple the first time. Obviously, I needed to better explain my facts.

Moreover, I want to agree that the US has a powerful force in South Korea, including the capacity to launch tactical nukes. The US is not eager to go to war with North Korea. There is not a whole lot of good that can come from such combat in the US perspective, and the US will be compelled to defend the entire peninsula from Chinese intervention. We have to remember that China pulls a lot of strings in North Korea, and that might become as big an issue in a unified, US-backed Korea as it has been in Iraq. As we know, the US has accused neighboring Iran of supporting insurgents with weapons and resources necessary to operate. Basically, if the US and South Korea win a war against North Korea, then the US gains very little and has to defend more land from neighbors who could be a lot more friendly.

I also agree very much that the most terrifying feature of the North Korean political system is its unwavering support for its insane leader. The people love their leader, and that scares me. It will lead to as ferocious an enemy as Japan during WWII. Let's not forget how many noble Americans died fighting in the Pacific.

Don't underestimate North Korea. That nation is very dangerous and has nothing to lose. The people of that country are starved and poor, and they love their leadership for it. They have managed to develop some serious weapons. Just because their nukes aren't as big as ours doesn't mean that their chemical weapons are equally impotent. The fact is that North Korea will make a horrible enemy for American forces, and we need to be aware of this before we talk about bombing them into submission.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #79
GatorBlue371

can't launch a nuke from rubble. No one wants to go to war, but first strike goes a long way when the first strike can reduce a city or two to ruble.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 06-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #80
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The fact is that North Korea will make a horrible enemy for American forces, and we need to be aware of this before we talk about bombing them into submission.
Bombing has never worked to make a nation submit. It did not work in the Second World War on Germany or Japan, the Korean War, Vietnam, Afghanistan, or any other war for that matter.

You win a war by walking up to the other guy (if you have not killed them first) and saying, "Give me your gun".

And that takes significant forces on the ground. Just like the Marines did on Iowa Jima.

Ya, you can argue that the Nukes made the Japanese surrender. I think what it did was bring them to their senses earlier than if it had not happened. The US had already bombed them into the dark ages long before they Nuked them.

Even if the US had 10 nukes, or a 100 nukes, If the emperor had not said quit, it would have cost the US dearly to invade and secure the Japanese homeland.

There is nothing to suggest that the Japanese of 1945 where anymore or any less brainwashed and loyal than the NK's today.

It would be a bloody war on both sides, with significant civilian losses.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #81
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
well, get the transformers guys to write an AI script for our camaros, add this

send 'em in
playing 'scorponok' from the transformers score on the boston acoustics
len56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #82
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
well, get the transformers guys to write an AI script for our camaros, add this

send 'em in
playing 'scorponok' from the transformers score on the boston acoustics
The last time I was at the Chevy dealer, I did not see Gatling Gun on the Options list.

I wonder if I can get that in a Vette?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #83
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
The last time I was at the Chevy dealer, I did not see Gatling Gun on the Options list.

I wonder if I can get that in a Vette?
It's on constraint.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #84
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
Bombing has never worked to make a nation submit. It did not work in the Second World War on Germany or Japan, the Korean War, Vietnam, Afghanistan, or any other war for that matter.

You win a war by walking up to the other guy (if you have not killed them first) and saying, "Give me your gun".

And that takes significant forces on the ground. Just like the Marines did on Iowa Jima.

Ya, you can argue that the Nukes made the Japanese surrender. I think what it did was bring them to their senses earlier than if it had not happened. The US had already bombed them into the dark ages long before they Nuked them.

Even if the US had 10 nukes, or a 100 nukes, If the emperor had not said quit, it would have cost the US dearly to invade and secure the Japanese homeland.

There is nothing to suggest that the Japanese of 1945 where anymore or any less brainwashed and loyal than the NK's today.

It would be a bloody war on both sides, with significant civilian losses.

This is such a different situation its not even funny. Japan/Germany had EMPIRES stretching across continents, military establishments all over the place. AND a mobilized fighting force. While Vietnam and Afghanistan had cave/jungle fighters with no established base.

N. Korea has 2 real cities, and is JUST starting their missile program. Meaning they aren't going to have some great hidden facility, we probably know exactly where the weapons are. South Korea has nukes, they can defend themselves by blowing up the whole region. We just need to disarm North Korea.