Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-24-2017, 02:14 AM   #71
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
UPDATES:

I took the tires and wheels to our local Discount Tire store to have them mounted and balanced. They also installed the TPMS sensors.

Can you tell which one is the wider? ( both 305/30/19 but the one on the left is a 11" wheel vs a 10.5" on the right)

took another look for the front fitment with the tires mounted. Again, this is with 5mm spacer and -2.2 camber up front. The fitment would be a lot easier with street alignment and even with 3mm spacer.

As you can see the strut arm bottom side is a bit too close and some grinding will hopefully fix that

and here are some pictures with them on the car .. Front poke was minimal compared to rear. Rear is also not too bad but they stick out about 18mm.

Soon to be installed: C7 Z06 fender flares

After I drove around the block, as I suspected, I had slight rubbing on the inner wheel so I decided to come back and wait for the extended wheel studs install and grinding. I also stacked 3mm and 5mm spacer to see if the 3mm grinding on that closer edge would give enough space and it looks it will fix my issue. Worst case scenario, I will still have it grinded and add 7mm spacer as I am already going with longer studs

If my mechanic tells me I can get away with more camber after the grinding, I will go ahead and change the camber to -2.5 upfront (from -2.2) since Trofeo R and NT01 tires work better with more camber up front, and I already lose some of that camber when cornering due the fact that I have strut setup instead of a double wishbone
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #72
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Thanks for the detailed updates and pics.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #73
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post

If my mechanic tells me I can get away with more camber after the grinding, I will go ahead and change the camber to -2.5 upfront (from -2.2) since Trofeo R and NT01 tires work better with more camber up front, and I already lose some of that camber when cornering due the fact that I have strut setup instead of a double wishbone

How are you going to achieve more than -2.2? I'm maxed @ -2.2. No camber plates are on the market for the 6th gen.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #74
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Thank you for the update!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #75
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Thanks for the detailed updates and pics.
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
How are you going to achieve more than -2.2? I'm maxed @ -2.2. No camber plates are on the market for the 6th gen.
Interesting, the guy at the alignment shop achieved -2.6 easily when he first untighten the camber bolts. I told him to back down to -2.2 since I wasn't sure about the fitment. I remember BMR's comment, they said they're not planning to make any sort of camber plate because of the adjustability of our suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx6g1le View Post
Thank you for the update!
you're welcome
Old 03-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #76
6thGen1leLA

Drives: 2017 1le
[QUOTE=glamcem;9631837]

How much room is left on the inside on the rear? I'm thinking of trying to order a set of 19x12 but I'm not 100% sure they'll work.

Thoughts anyone?
6thGen1leLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:51 AM   #77
glamcem

[QUOTE=6thGen1leLA;9633735]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post

How much room is left on the inside on the rear? I'm thinking of trying to order a set of 19x12 but I'm not 100% sure they'll work.

Thoughts anyone?
I didn't see an Apex wheels on that side. What brand and model is that? Offsets?

To Answer your question;

The rear wheels actually stick out 18mm compared to OEM setup. So inner clearance is not even an issue
Old 03-26-2017, 02:58 AM   #78
6thGen1leLA

Drives: 2017 1le
Not an apex wheel. I'm considering running a new forged company I came across. I'm scheduled to bring my car down to the shop for th to measure and see exactly what will and won't work but I need to do my homework till then.

I'm trying to stay inside the fender.

From what I've been seeing online guys are running 20x11 +45 I'm thinking 19x12 at about +53 based on my math. The only issue is will I hit on the inside? Seems like we have less room on the 6th gen than the 5th gen guys.

With your current setup how much room is there left inbound?

[QUOTE=glamcem;9635270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGen1leLA View Post

I didn't see an Apex wheels on that side. What brand and model is that? Offsets?

To Answer your question;

The rear wheels actually stick out 18mm compared to OEM setup. So inner clearance is not even an issue
6thGen1leLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #79
glamcem

[QUOTE=6thGen1leLA;9635272]Not an apex wheel. I'm considering running a new forged company I came across. I'm scheduled to bring my car down to the shop for th to measure and see exactly what will and won't work but I need to do my homework till then.

I'm trying to stay inside the fender.

From what I've been seeing online guys are running 20x11 +45 I'm thinking 19x12 at about +53 based on my math. The only issue is will I hit on the inside? Seems like we have less room on the 6th gen than the 5th gen guys.

With your current setup how much room is there left inbound?

Any specific reason for going 12" instead of 11 or 11.5"? I highly doubt that will fit with that offset and size. That would put the wheel 20mm closer to the suspension and I am almost sure it won't work, especially with the OEM struts. If you look at the Z28 OEM wheels (19x11.5) the offset is +26mm in the rear vs +43mm for the 20x11" OEM wheels. In other words, to fit wider wheels they lower the offset so that it sits further out not the other way around. In your case you're not only losing the inner space but also go with 1" wider wheels.

I highly doubt the clearance is different between 5th and 6th gen also.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 AM   #80
glamcem

UPDATE:

Took the car to my mechanic for some grinding, longer wheel stud install and Diff/transmission fluid change

since the rotors were removed I weighed them on the scale while they were working on the car. Our front rotors are really heavy :/ I will see how much the slotted OEM rotors that come with the OEM Brembo kit weigh

new longer OEM studs are installed and trimmed to be used with OEM lug nuts:

some grinding on the strut arms gave enough clearance with the wheels

and painted:

And now with the Apex wheels and 305/30/19 tires for a testfit .. plenty of clearance now
Old 03-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #81
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Yea it's a lot of rotor for a lot of car.

Did I miss it or can you please post the part number for the longer studs?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #82
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
If those are the Cadillac ones. 11588810.
7mm more thread. Good for 10mm spacer
Have a couple numbers that will work. Slip in a 25mm spacer if you want.

Last edited by BradfordCamaro; 03-30-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #83
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #84
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Yea it's a lot of rotor for a lot of car.

Did I miss it or can you please post the part number for the longer studs?

I agree with you it needs more rotor but keep in mind Girodisc also had lighweight 2 piece rotors for Gen 5 Camaros which are even heavier than our cars and the slotted rotors for Brembo 6 piston kit are much likely lighter than our rotors. This is the same exact weight with the previous Gen ZL1 rotors so there is a good chance that they may be overbuilt for our cars.

I will post the weight of those rotors once I buy it or learn it for sure.

My apologies btw, I forgot to include the link where I got the idea from. Unlike the previous gen, no need to grind the knuckles which is a plus

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130651
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
If those are the Cadillac ones. 11588820.
7mm more thread. Good for 10mm spacer
Have a couple numbers that will work. Slip in a 25mm spacer if you want.
See the above link it seems like the part number is slightly different for Silverado (11588810). I am surprised by the fact Caddy uses a different part number than our cars.

My mechnanic (also race car builder) told me that I can get away with 7mm spacer if I want to but for track use I want to make sure that I am a notch above the safety zone. If I ever want to give more camber I might try 7mm spacers though