Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #71
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAtwinLS3 View Post
If you really want efficiency and $$ no object you twin turbo the damn thing. More than one way to meet your needs, whether it be Street/Strip, or max effort. Everyone just do you and what your comfortable with and be confident with your decision. if you want to change at a later point....which some do, who cares it’s a journey that we all enjoy! WHO CARES.
Well going TT is debatably considered the best method for forced induction. However the costs involved and the intricacy of a TT setup is enough to make it undesirable by most. The simplicity and cost along with other mods (cam, heads, LTs, etc) as well as it being able to support much more than your stock engine internals can handle is the plus to going the supercharger route. And honestly, under the restraints of the stock internals, a TT is just extra cost for no extra gains. Now if we're talking built block with extra displacement, then it could be beneficial to go with a TT setup as you'll have less strain on the engine as opposed to a supercharger (being engine driven and all). But still tho there are many large displacement blowers out there that can hang with the TTs. There are plenty of guys out there in the 1200 RWHP and higher range with PCs and top mount blowers.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #72
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
That's it. I'm building a 632 ci twin turbo monster with 15" wide slicks to put down that 2500 rwhp...and I've got the $100k to do it too!!!

NOT!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #73
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Go for it dbs! Lol....
Old 07-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #74
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You do what’s best for you dbs and enjoy that ZL1. That’s my advice to you and anyone else.��
Old 07-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #75
dbs1

Greg, can I count on you for the first $99k? I'll cover the rest! Hahaha.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #76
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
And then add the bigger tb, then a big gulp, then a retune, then making sure fuel keeps up, then...

Current setup a few months ago showed 688 rwhp on mustang dyno.

There no reason you can't add Toohighpsi's fuel spacers, injectors, and swap out the DSX pump for a AEM 400lp or larger aux pump to add port injection. even introduce full E if you wanted.

or just port the Blower add the TB I don't think your at the power lever to need a big gulp. you can always make the same power more efficiently with the porting!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #77
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I like how whenever someone asks about porting the stock S/C, it starts off with great info and others who have done it chime in.... but in the end turns always turns into a pissing match of going to a 2650 or not.

For me, even though I haven't done it, yet, ill be porting my stock s/c. I dont have any desire to go past the 700whp mark as im just wanting to pretty much do full exhaust/pulley/103/tune. I may or may not go E but again, im not looking to go "all out". I have a 86 iroc with a 406 w/ nitrous also in the garage. While it's a fun car, its also the poster child for unreliable. Im not trying to turn my zl1 into that. so, again, for me, just porting the stocker is plenty. I won't be going "stage x" or whatever it is, mostly because I FEEL the possible little I gain doing that vs a reg port,wouldn't benefit since I'm not going "all out" with this car.

That all being said, if my goal is over 700whp (more like over 800whp) then I'd suggest going 2650.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #78
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I like how whenever someone asks about porting the stock S/C, it starts off with great info and others who have done it chime in.... but in the end turns always turns into a pissing match of going to a 2650 or not.

For me, even though I haven't done it, yet, ill be porting my stock s/c. I dont have any desire to go past the 700whp mark as im just wanting to pretty much do full exhaust/pulley/103/tune. I may or may not go E but again, im not looking to go "all out". I have a 86 iroc with a 406 w/ nitrous also in the garage. While it's a fun car, its also the poster child for unreliable. Im not trying to turn my zl1 into that. so, again, for me, just porting the stocker is plenty. I won't be going "stage x" or whatever it is, mostly because I FEEL the possible little I gain doing that vs a reg port,wouldn't benefit since I'm not going "all out" with this car.

That all being said, if my goal is over 700whp (more like over 800whp) then I'd suggest going 2650.
Actually, it was never a pissing match of the 2650 vs the 1.7. Everyone knows that the 2650 is far and away superior in every aspect. However, the ONLY point I was making is that IF you are absolutely 100% without a doubt and no second thought completely sure that you will be satisfied under the limits of a ported 1.7, then go that route and you'll save a ton of money and be happy.

However, IF there is even the slightest thought that 700-ish to the wheels won't be enough or that the stock blower might have cooling issues and/or you might want more or the potential for more in the future or you want a setup that will be much more efficient, then you should go with a bigger blower from the start. Even tho it will cost more money than a ported setup initially, you'll save money and downtime in the long run. That has been my only point this entire time. Well, that and the possibility that the ported blower will have cooling issues. Unfortunately people these days lack comprehension so it turned into some kind of 1.7 vs 2650 thing or whatever.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #79
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post

……
You are exactly right. It ends up that way every damn time because there’s always a 2650 owner or 2 who pops in to tell everyone that porting the OEM blower is wrong and is a waste of money and that their way is the only way that’s right. I guess that’s why Kong and Jokerz went broke from a lack of business. Oh wait…..
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:31 AM   #80
dbs1

Hahaha. Well that's a bummer. Now who am I gonna have port the lowly 1.7?

Ha!
Old 07-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #81
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
If you ask all these guys here if they did their own work in modding, you might be surprised. Most work is done by shops that give advice on what they should install to meet their goals. Of course they are going to parrot what they have been told by their tuner and of course it's also the best, right way. I myself have had work done by others and relied on their opinion. But, I have also done my own building of engines over the years. I have not done any LS or LT engines and would take advice on those. Keep this in mind when posters give advice.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #82
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
You are exactly right. It ends up that way every damn time because there’s always a 2650 owner or 2 who pops in to tell everyone that porting the OEM blower is wrong and is a waste of money and that their way is the only way that’s right. I guess that’s why Kong and Jokerz went broke from a lack of business. Oh wait…..
Ported stock blowers are not the wrong way or a waste of money...as long as you stay under 700 RWHP. Once you're ready to step up to 800+ to the wheels, then that stock blower is worthless.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #83
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Once you're ready to step up to 800+ to the wheels, then that stock blower is worthless.
Not anymore. I could do Kong's Stage X and surpass 800 wheel, but I'm not sure I want it at this point. My car's a lot of fun.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:39 AM   #84
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Not anymore. I could do Kong's Stage X and surpass 800 wheel, but I'm not sure I want it at this point. My car's a lot of fun.
It still doesn’t change the fact that the 1.7 stock blower is a heat pump and heat soaks like crazy. That’s the main problem with the stock blower is the tiny bricks.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote