Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #71
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
I gotchya there.

I ended up using 1/2 inch hose overall. That's inner diameter. It fits over all the stock barbs and stuff.
I have two questions:
1. From the picture, it looks like the mounting bracket is bent where one of the bolts would go. Is that bent or just an illusion from the pic?
2. There are only 2 lines going from the can to the engine. Were those the only modifications you have to make? Just trying to judge how difficult the install would be.

Thanks...
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #72
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
I have two questions:
1. From the picture, it looks like the mounting bracket is bent where one of the bolts would go. Is that bent or just an illusion from the pic?
2. There are only 2 lines going from the can to the engine. Were those the only modifications you have to make? Just trying to judge how difficult the install would be.

Thanks...
All you really are doing is "teeing" the catch can into the dirty pcv hose that comes from the back of the engine to precipitate out any oil or fuel vapor. There are other modifications that can be done to increase vacuum on the engine for better performance (get more suction on the can). It is very simple. You can use stainless braided hose to avoid the "5th grade science fair project"* look of rubber hoses.

*Someone said that about my waste veggie oil converted diesel engine
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #73
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Tryin to help out.

So after 50 miles today...

You can start to see the residue in the bottom of the can. You can bet that over the course of an oil change, more residue and condensation of the pcv gases will accumulate.

Now to do the valve cleaning this weekend
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #74
cellsafemode

I suspect I wont be seeing any blowby since the pressure drop in my intake air bridge is significantly lower than with the stock paper filter causing less oil to get pulled along with the fuel vapors

I fabbed up a bracket for my universal mishimoto can. Got that installed. However, I can't connect it up because I was not expecting 5/8 barbs on the can and I stupidly purchased 3/8 ID tubing. Worthless autozone nearby doesn't carry 1/2" or 5/8 id hose despite the website saying they should have something close to 1/2 in stock (15/32). Neither does home depot.

So i'll check another autozone tomorrow and worst case have to amazon something. Nobody wants to stock 1/2" emissions line it seems. It's not even available in small sections on amazon prime.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #75
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I suspect I wont be seeing any blowby since the pressure drop in my intake air bridge is significantly lower than with the stock paper filter causing less oil to get pulled along with the fuel vapors

I fabbed up a bracket for my universal mishimoto can. Got that installed. However, I can't connect it up because I was not expecting 5/8 barbs on the can and I stupidly purchased 3/8 ID tubing. Worthless autozone nearby doesn't carry 1/2" or 5/8 id hose despite the website saying they should have something close to 1/2 in stock (15/32). Neither does home depot.

So i'll check another autozone tomorrow and worst case have to amazon something. Nobody wants to stock 1/2" emissions line it seems. It's not even available in small sections on amazon prime.
Once you tap the dirty side, regardless of filter, you're gonna see something.

Intake or no intake. Paper or aftermarket filter... the vacuum comes from the tb blade directly from the engine. On the dirty side the valve is after the filter... but even if it was before the filter, it still enough at wot and heavy acceleration to draw enough from the pcv at the rear of the engine.

So in other words, on the dirty side, things are gonna get caught

Best thing... the less oil diluted air that enters, the more clean air the goes in. Small performance increase via efficiency

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 09-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #76
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
I have two questions:

Thanks...
Just saw this.

Part of the bracket is bent. It's made for an Ss, but I molded it with the bend to use only 1 bolt and move it more towards the side of the engine, as opposed to the back.

You can use the two bolts, but the can will be more towards the rear, and the "in" port is more towards the front of the car, where the out port is more towards the rear of the car.

Instalation aND bending of the bracket took all of 15 min. Installing the hoses. 10 min. Not hard at all. All I did was splice into the dirty side hose. Only connection I affected. And as you see from pics...it's working.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #77
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Once you tap the dirty side, regardless of filter, you're gonna see something.

Intake or no intake. Paper or aftermarket filter... the vacuum comes from the tb blade directly from the engine. On the dirty side the valve is after the filter... but even if it was before the filter, it still enough at wot and heavy acceleration to draw enough from the pcv at the rear of the engine.

So in other words, on the dirty side, things are gonna get caught

Best thing... the less oil diluted air that enters, the more clean air the goes in. Small performance increase via efficiency

Not sure what you're referring to here. The air filter causes a pressure drop on the sucking side that is greater in magnitude than the pressure drop you experience from just the bernoulli effect caused by simply having air moving across the dirty side tube.

Adding a catch can inline on the dirty side isn't going to increase how much oil gets blown into the dirty side pcv tube. In 4500 miles i've had no oil blown by into the dirty side of my pcv system that i can detect. The only difference I can see between mine and yours is the environment and that I've been using an air filter that significantly reduces the air pressure drop across it from basically day one.

I dont expect that to change but I'm adding the can anyway because it can't hurt. My Connection will be similar to yours, using the same can and basically same mounting location. I'll be putting about 150 miles on it this weekend (highway) though i'll probably get a bunch of stop-and-go speeding in too.

My clean side can still has no observable oil in the gauge tube. No surprise there.

granted. the pressure drop difference caused by paper vs cotton is probably not that great on clean filters.
Attached Images

Last edited by cellsafemode; 09-03-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #78
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Not sure what you're referring to here. The air filter causes a pressure drop on the sucking side that is greater in magnitude than the pressure drop you experience from just the bernoulli effect caused by simply having air moving across the dirty side tube.

Adding a catch can inline on the dirty side isn't going to increase how much oil gets blown into the dirty side pcv tube. In 4500 miles i've had no oil blown by into the dirty side of my pcv system that i can detect. The only difference I can see between mine and yours is the environment and that I've been using an air filter that significantly reduces the air pressure drop across it from basically day one.

I dont expect that to change but I'm adding the can anyway because it can't hurt. My Connection will be similar to yours, using the same can and basically same mounting location. I'll be putting about 150 miles on it this weekend (highway) though i'll probably get a bunch of stop-and-go speeding in too.

My clean side can still has no observable oil in the gauge tube. No surprise there.

granted. the pressure drop difference caused by paper vs cotton is probably not that great on clean filters.
In caveman terms, this is ALL I'm saying.

-Doesn't matter what type of filter you use. I've had a catch can with a stock air filter, and a Rotofab intake on the lfx. I put 101,000 miles on that car in 2 years. With both intake setups, the catch can did its job. Even if you ran no filter, it's still gonna catch oil.

-Doesn't matter as much about pressures drops, or bernouli effect, (trust me I know enough of that factor from track and AutoX with air going underneath the car)

The new can as you have it setup with the mishimoto, you'll see what's being caught soon enough. (It took just about 50 miles for me as shown above) That's the whole goal with the can. Not necessarily speeding up how fast stuff gets caught...but more so as long as it DOES get caught.

From a performance/efficiency perspective, If you have a pie made of 45% air, 45% fuel, and 10% pcv leftovers/blowby...

In another caveman, keep it simple reference. If you can remove most of that 10% of pcv leftover being ingested, that means you now can replace that percentage of stuff removed with clean combustible air.

If you've ever done any tuning, when you data log, if you have short term or long term knock, something as simple as removing pcv flow from the intake can lower the amount of knock.

Ideally, a vacuum pump and venting it to the atmosphere is how some old school guys do it. But using a catch can in a closed loop setup, so to speak, is the more emissions minded way these days.

Also with most cans, it will take a few thousand miles before oil shows up in the gauge tubes. Simply because there's a bit of depth in the can for oil to pool in before it even reaches the bottom of the Guage tube.

If I remember correctly, in my 2013 to get 4-6 ounces of liquid in the apex v2 can took me nearly about 11,000 miles. The mishimoto is a way smaller can and holds 2 ounces. Which the recommend checking ever 500 miles and then gauging from there.

Just give it time though, you'll see. And drive that thing!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #79
KirkH

I gave it a hard, fast 1000 mile round trip through the Tennessee/North Carolina mountains.

Catch can had just the SLIGHTEST residue at the bottom of the can. Not enough to see visibly, but I could feel a very small oil residue on the bottom of the can when I ran my finger over the bottom of the can.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #80
cellsafemode

Looks like the only thing mine caught in 200 miles of everything from spirited canyon driving, traffic, wot runs to way too fast cruising is some tiny residue from cutting the hose.

No oil, but I wasn't expecting any.

Btw,. There needs to be a better way to unscrew this thing. Had to remove the two screws connecting the can to the top mount to get both hands on it.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #81
KirkH

My Elite Engineering just hand screws off easily. bracket is in a perfect spot. Hand fits down to remove can without removing can from the bracket.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 AM   #82
cellsafemode

Ironically if the can was a bit longer I'd be able to torque it with one hand but it is short enough that the stupid sound tube and other cables near the engine keep you from twisting hard.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #83
cellsafemode

Any updates on those of us who have installed catch cans ?

I'll be checking mine after work today. Hundreds of miles of spirited in-town driving since I last checked the can.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #84
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Any updates on those of us who have installed catch cans ?

I'll be checking mine after work today. Hundreds of miles of spirited in-town driving since I last checked the can.
I'm at 14894 miles as I sit in traffic. I'll check mine as I'm sure I'll hit 15000 miles by this weekend. So I'll check it saturday and post up some pics if there's anything to post.