#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #71
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
So, an updated MRC controller that performs worse that the stock settings and creates some instability at times.

Sounds like a big FAIL to me.

Maybe it is programmable to fix those issues, but something that is supposed to make the car handle better should do so right out of the box. DSC has had PLENTY of time to fine tune the Gen 6 chassis settings, and thus far has failed.

So, my opinion has not changed and your observations mimic others who have tried it on the Gen 6 Camaro platform. My opinion still remains that GM nailed the calibration of the MRC shocks and any tinkering done aftermarket seems to muff that up in certain areas and conditions.

I will also add that the feeling of it feeling good on the flat sections is probably placebo effect. You can have no suspension and have everything hard mounted and it will feel stable on flat sections where the suspension isn't getting worked.
Placebo effect. Really? Stephen came back and gave an honest assessment of what he felt and I agree with what he wrote. He didn’t say that the unit was perfect and that basically there seemed to be some trade offs. VIR has a good bit of elevation change and there was some floatyness like others described but it did help some with putting down the power. Don’t believe me? Look at my cars mph from Turn 1 - Turn 3 and compare to almost any other street car you can find videos of. It still has the stock supercars. I hit 106 mph a few times over the 2 days we were there and was 103-104 mph every time I had clear track. The ZLE was 103 in the Lightning Lap. I appreciated your feedback on the cradle mod and didn’t fire back with it’s probably all in your head. Saying that GM nailed the calibration on the MRC. Compared to what? Because you have compared it to so many other cars that you feel they nailed it? This coming from a guy who said that the real test of a cars handling ability comes on the street. Please!
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #72
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Feedback from VIR Full course with the DSC controller vs stock controller:

DSC controller is out of the box with no adjustments and he is running stock Supercar 3 tires. Car is excellent on flat sections, however, has a bit of an unsteady pogo feeling on elevation changes especially exiting the uphill esses. Tradeoff but some areas seem faster. Braking in the fastest areas going uphill seem to confuse the unit a bit and cause a slight wavering.

I drove the car also and can confirm the shocks feel noticeably stiffer and jarring but better in the short flat sections. For AutoX, this controller seems suited and well programmed out of the box. The pogo feeling is there on exit of uphill esses. Some weird braking instability is noted.

There may be other comments if a question is asked but swapping to the stock controller allowed a more stable experience overall. DSC has some work to do with the ZL1 to allow a better experience at VIR. I'm sure some parameters could be adjusted.
Thank you for the testing! The pogo effect is why I originally took the V2 off of my previous car. I wonder if it's something that can be programmed out if you zero out the shocks and can alter the high speed compression/rebound?

Did you zero out the shocks with the DSC controller prior to this test? (just to verify)
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #73
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
So, an updated MRC controller that performs worse that the stock settings and creates some instability at times.

Sounds like a big FAIL to me.

Maybe it is programmable to fix those issues, but something that is supposed to make the car handle better should do so right out of the box. DSC has had PLENTY of time to fine tune the Gen 6 chassis settings, and thus far has failed.

So, my opinion has not changed and your observations mimic others who have tried it on the Gen 6 Camaro platform. My opinion still remains that GM nailed the calibration of the MRC shocks and any tinkering done aftermarket seems to muff that up in certain areas and conditions.

I will also add that the feeling of it feeling good on the flat sections is probably placebo effect. You can have no suspension and have everything hard mounted and it will feel stable on flat sections where the suspension isn't getting worked.
I wouldn't go that far...

I think what this just means is that we need a community like the 997 group to tweak the settings for our cars to take the 90% base map and make it better for individual use/individual tracks.

If it were a hardware limitation (it shouldn't be), i'd be more inclined to agree but this seems like software that needs some user changes much like if you were to take some 4 ways out of the box.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #74
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Fanatic View Post
Placebo effect. Really? Stephen came back and gave an honest assessment of what he felt and I agree with what he wrote. He didn’t say that the unit was perfect and that basically there seemed to be some trade offs. VIR has a good bit of elevation change and there was some floatyness like others described but it did help some with putting down the power. Don’t believe me? Look at my cars mph from Turn 1 - Turn 3 and compare to almost any other street car you can find videos of. It still has the stock supercars. I hit 106 mph a few times over the 2 days we were there and was 103-104 mph every time I had clear track. The ZLE was 103 in the Lightning Lap. I appreciated your feedback on the cradle mod and didn’t fire back with it’s probably all in your head. Saying that GM nailed the calibration on the MRC. Compared to what? Because you have compared it to so many other cars that you feel they nailed it? This coming from a guy who said that the real test of a cars handling ability comes on the street. Please!
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #75
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
The unit needs some tweaking to make it better. This unit wasn't zeroed out either. Not sure about the interface to do that procedure. I believe out of the box it would benefit an autocross scenario.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #76
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
The unit needs some tweaking to make it better. This unit wasn't zeroed out either. Not sure about the interface to do that procedure. I believe out of the box it would benefit an autocross scenario.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #77
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Zeroing ride heights is absolutely critical and would explain the pogo effect.

I’m moving on from mine, as I want to run a lot more rate than I can on the MRC, so I’ve ordered some MCS 2WNR. My controller, 300lb front springs, and Moreno camber plates will be for sale when the MCS stuff goes on. It all worked great, but my car basically only gets driven on One Lap and to and from motorsports events. Big power and big aero, time to run a real motorsports suspension.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #78
F1FTY

Quick update on mine:

DSC Sport Loader can find my device on COM1, but the DSC Tuner software cannot. The WiFi on the DSC device shows as available too.

Ive tried rebooting, disconnecting the device, trying different ports, checking driver settings, and reloading the software repeatedly. All software is set to COM1.

I’m running out of patience. Why can’t DSC write better software? I need to zero this thing out but won’t put it in my car until I know it’ll work with my laptop.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #79
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I will see Mr. Veritas at VIR next week and ask him about the Camaro platform. Hopefully, he can guide us to a solution or direction.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:32 AM   #80
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Quick update on mine:

DSC Sport Loader can find my device on COM1, but the DSC Tuner software cannot. The WiFi on the DSC device shows as available too.

Ive tried rebooting, disconnecting the device, trying different ports, checking driver settings, and reloading the software repeatedly. All software is set to COM1.

I’m running out of patience. Why can’t DSC write better software? I need to zero this thing out but won’t put it in my car until I know it’ll work with my laptop.

I know your frustrated but thats how computers work sometime. I have certain laptops that I only use on certain machines. Same thing port compatibility etc Alan Bradley is the worst for this.

If you had something else to try it on it might work out.

Its really why I don't have tuners on any of my modern cars. After doing it at work last thing I want to do is get in my car flip up a lap top and start checking cold idle loops because its a wierd temperature day or what ever. I just want to get in it and drive.

And as stated Canbus is the worst thing to come into the automotive world in a while......
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #81
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
do it, you should notice a difference.. you can even zero it out using wifi.. super easy!

connect wifi to dsc
open browser, go to 10.10.10.1 ip adress
go to record, start recording, check your ride heights... they should be way off!!!
go to settings, hit the zero travel box (you may have to do it a couple times)
go back to record, check your ride heights

note, I do not know if the "Reset Board" is required for this procedure... I did not do it and it seemed to work fine!
Attached Images

DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #82
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Out-of-box calibration you're using is for SS 1LE, not the heavier, more powerful ZL1. You only need to make some calibration adjustments to your compression and rebound. You can datalog your run to determine if you need to adjust velocity with compression and/or rebound. I wish there was a "One Size Fits All" calibration, but it doesn't exist. DSC provides calibrations as a place to start, so only minor tuning may be necessary for what type of driving you do. DSC Sport gives you the tools to adjust your own shocks. I've tested the SS 1LE, with accomplished drivers behind the wheel, and it was quicker on all accounts, road course and autocross. It can do the same for ZL1, but additional weight over nose and power, have to be taken into account. Happy to help with adjustments if you need, plug in, read all, look at calibration, and increase your compression and rebound in the needed ranges.
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #83
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
Out-of-box calibration you're using is for SS 1LE, not the heavier, more powerful ZL1. You only need to make some calibration adjustments to your compression and rebound. You can datalog your run to determine if you need to adjust velocity with compression and/or rebound. I wish there was a "One Size Fits All" calibration, but it doesn't exist. DSC provides calibrations as a place to start, so only minor tuning may be necessary for what type of driving you do. DSC Sport gives you the tools to adjust your own shocks. I've tested the SS 1LE, with accomplished drivers behind the wheel, and it was quicker on all accounts, road course and autocross. It can do the same for ZL1, but additional weight over nose and power, have to be taken into account. Happy to help with adjustments if you need, plug in, read all, look at calibration, and increase your compression and rebound in the needed ranges.
Here is a novel idea...

DSC should provide a recommended initial setting for both platforms with clear instructions of how to do so, so the results are not worse than the stock settings, if there is indeed improvements all around. It all feels and seems like a half-assed release to me.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #84
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Quick update on mine:

Plug in direct with cable, power off, or remove the unit and plug cable in. DSC put info out there awhile back about WiFi connection, and in many instances there were interference that couldn't be resolved, because so many different things can occur. You can create and test a product, but until it goes out to be in all types of conditions and unique situations, a determination can't be made if some or all can be overcome. It was determined that DSC would no longer recommend using the WiFi feature, because it would involve scrapping the entire thing and starting over. I've never used the WiFi connection, and don't trust any WiFi connection over plugging in direct. Each type of software you use has to be configured for the port you want to use in communicating with a DSC Sport Controller, your computer does not do that for you. If all this was Mac, I'd expect it, but it's DOS/IBM/PC based, or whatever it's called these days, and I've never liked it. So be sure to look at those settings for each software, loader and tuner.
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1