Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #785
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like you mentioned I wonder if the reliability and durability are the main reasons. Look how Chevy had to add heavy TM to the manual 650-hp ZL1 likely due to this reason. Ford will be coming in even harder with 700+hp.
This is a solid theory.

I would add that a manual transmission, at this power to weight ratio, is damn near useless if the goal isn't solely the road course. You don't need +700 HP in a manual shift, fun street or drag car because its not usable.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #786
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
This is a solid theory.

I would add that a manual transmission, at this power to weight ratio, is damn near useless if the goal isn't solely the road course. You don't need +700 HP in a manual shift, fun street or drag car because its not usable.
HAHAHAHA...neither is 600+ usable on the street, but I am very glad Chevy gave it a 3rd pedal.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #787
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
This is what I'm wondering. The previous GT500 was manual trans only. Hellcats have 707 and now 717 HP and a manual option. ZLE was manual only up until now. Vipers were manual only. So all these high HP and high performance cars with the option for a manual trans and Ford decides not to include it in the lineup? I wonder if it does come down to reliability and durability. Because looking at it, the Demon and RE are auto only as well. So perhaps the autos cannot reliable and safely handle much more than what the Hellcats put out. Or maybe it's a safety thing...like they're worried about someone losing control in one of these cars.

It doesn't seem to me that Ford has everything ironed out just yet with this car. Might it have been better for them to skip this Gen and put it out early in the S650 with everything worked out? Either way the more I see from them the more I'm shying away from potentially buying one.

Hmm, I don't know bout all that. The manual trans would have made it a bit cheaper and more appealing to a lot of diehards. I can't see them deciding that it isn't a good financial decision especially when they're all gonna sell anyway. Remember, this is a car that will command markups. So I doubt this is the reason.
This will upset some people, but what do they have to lose by releasing the GT500 even if it isn't ready? They did that to the GT350. Had to refresh in 2017, giving all cars coolers etc.....that should not have been something that showed itself in consumer's cars, it should have been caught in R&D and addressed prior to releasing even 1 car. Unacceptable.....but did it matter? People, some not knowing better and others not being able to help themselves, gobble them up as if they're performance matches their price and like they are not going to grenade or catch fire.

This car will sell regardless, and those that love Ford wont demand any better no matter how bad it is.

For the record, I fully expect this car to be fully sorted and ready for battle, but if not...the above will be repeated anyway.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #788
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I think we can all say we don't live like Ghandi, and if we did, well.. at least for me I'd be a whole lot skinnier..

As stated 3 pages ago, IMO the GT500 is good looking and the new "auto" is going to put this into the win. No way I'm buying a new one... 10 years from now a 40K mile version sounds affordable. I'll note the 350s and other Shelby cars seem to selling for pennies on the dollar vs my son is looking for a low mile Lightning...
I had a 2000 lightning back in the day. It was plagued with engine problems, just FYI. If I recall one issue was spark plugs blowing out of the head. With that said I do miss it everytime I see another one on the road, it was a fun truck
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #789
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
I had a 2000 lightning back in the day. It was plagued with engine problems, just FYI. If I recall one issue was spark plugs blowing out of the head. With that said I do miss it everytime I see another one on the road, it was a fun truck
Funny you say that, out of the few Lightnings I have seen lately, none had running engines.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #790
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
That pretty red biotch. Is a keeper. If you get bored . You can always change the blower to a big centri or turbos and rule lanes 9 & 10.
This! ^ What I was thinking this also. Does what a "stock" car can do really matter anymore?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #791
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
More likely a bean counter decided it wasn’t worth the expense. Of having both transmissions in a car that will see limited sales.
And the manual is dying out. You can't even buy a manual in the new BMW 3 series any more. I was manual only since my teenage years until last year. And in the past manuals on the street were the fastest cars. Now they live in the internet "slow" lane.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #792
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I would not be surprised to see LT5 in a Camaro, but I wouldn’t expect it in Gen 6. It’s okay for Camaro to share an engine with Z06. Not so much ZR1. When ZR1 finishes its run, LT5 becomes a “free agent” and can land in a number of places. A Cadillac? Like CT5-V? Or Escalade-V? Or a Cadillac sports car? Definitely a Camaro. But ZR1 has to be dormant for that to happen. We’re talking 2021-22. And that would be likely timing for CA7.
That is along the lines of what I have been saying the threads where people want the LT5 in the camaro. My view has been its going to be a ZR-1 Exclusive

Quote:
I looked up the 2018 volume for Aplha (Camaro/CTS/ATS) and it was ~800 units less than Mustang.

GM needs Camaro as long as they want to be in the high end coupe/sedan segment with Cadillac. Mustang is rumored to share a SUV chassis (right?). Mustang could very well de-emphasis performance. Ala Mustang II.

This is why I smh with all the Camaro will be discontinued celebrations. This whole segment is underperforming and none will survive to see 2028 at 2018 volumes.
Someone much smarter than me chimed in on this move. But either way with CTS and ATS going away, I don't think you could argue that Camaro volume will become more important for now for Alpha-II

Quote:
Actually, this will be a good move for Ford. There will likely be no compromise at all sharing the platform with utilities. More modern body frame integral architectures are very adaptable to different "top hats". Think Audi A7 / A8 (including S7 and RS7) and Audi Q7. Same platform. No compromises.
Much smarter than me lol

Quote:
Things just got very interesting. It looks like GM added the A10 trans as an available option on the ZLE!!!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...L3SFBXVATu8IUM

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/20...3SVu-bJSdeLn7Y
Saw that. Makes me wonder if the GT500 carbon is going to be close or faster than the ZLE and GM actually responded. they have been adamant in the past that the 1LE is a manual trans only option. Something obviously forced them to change their stance.

Quote:
FWIW, the 10AT in the ZL1 / ZLE is different than the 10AT in the Mustang and Camaro SS. Same basic design, but heavier duty. And ironically, it was the first 10AT to make it to market. I was guiding Al O.'s team through the NAIAS in 2016 and was showing them the Ford F150. I told them that the F150 was going to be the first vehicle to get the new GM / Ford 10 speed. Al pulled me off to the side and said "No they won't. We'll get there first with the ZL1". I asked him how that was the case when Ford was lead on the RWD design (GM was lead on the FWD 9-spd). He explained that both companies were manufacturing their own and that gave GM the leeway to develop a heavier duty version of the trans that did not need to be shared with Ford. That's what launched in the ZL1. A few months before the 10AT launched in F150. Of course, he told me to keep that quiet. This is actually the first time I've ever mentioned it.
Martin I am not one to question you as you were there and I wasn't LOL. But IIRC Didn't the Raptor actually get released before the ZL1 though?

Quote:
I wonder the reason Ford chose not to give the GT500 a manual option.
hotlap said it best IMO

Quote:
This is a solid theory.

it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #793
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is along the lines of what I have been saying the threads where people want the LT5 in the camaro. My view has been its going to be a ZR-1 Exclusive

Someone much smarter than me chimed in on this move. But either way with CTS and ATS going away, I don't think you could argue that Camaro volume will become more important for now for Alpha-II

Much smarter than me lol

Saw that. Makes me wonder if the GT500 carbon is going to be close or faster than the ZLE and GM actually responded. they have been adamant in the past that the 1LE is a manual trans only option. Something obviously forced them to change their stance.

Martin I am not one to question you as you were there and I wasn't LOL. But IIRC Didn't the Raptor actually get released before the ZL1 though?

hotlap said it best IMO
I'm not Martin, But I thought that being released to the media and launched/released to the market it's not the same lol
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #794
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
I'm not Martin, But I thought that being released to the media and launched/released to the market it's not the same lol
I believe the zl1 came out first, but the a10 came after Raptor for consumers. The a10 was a few months behind the m6.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #795
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
.....Martin I am not one to question you as you were there and I wasn't LOL. But IIRC Didn't the Raptor actually get released before the ZL1 though?

You recall correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
That is true, but I believe the Raptor was available with A10 before the ZL1 was available with A10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
I believe the zl1 came out first, but the a10 came after Raptor for consumers. The a10 was a few months behind the m6.
^^ This
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #796
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
This! ^ What I was thinking this also. Does what a "stock" car can do really matter anymore?
To guys like me and you? Not one bit. The magazine racers however live for that sh!t.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #797
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
To guys like me and you? Not one bit. The magazine racers however live for that sh!t.
But, there are probably 100 times more people who keep there cars stock, then do what you do.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #798
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
But, there are probably 100 times more people who keep there cars stock, then do what you do.
Your absolutely right. And 99% of those people dont have any idea what the car they own will do. With them behind the wheel. Just easier to say. My car runs 11s because one dude on the forum claimed he did. Or Car & Driver lapped Virginia international in under 3 minutes in a car just like mine. What Randy Posbt does. And what I would do on a road course. Would be wildly different.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote