Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #743
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
FWIW, the 10AT in the ZL1 / ZLE is different than the 10AT in the Mustang and Camaro SS. Same basic design, but heavier duty. And ironically, it was the first 10AT to make it to market. I was guiding Al O.'s team through the NAIAS in 2016 and was showing them the Ford F150. I told them that the F150 was going to be the first vehicle to get the new GM / Ford 10 speed. Al pulled me off to the side and said "No they won't. We'll get there first with the ZL1". I asked him how that was the case when Ford was lead on the RWD design (GM was lead on the FWD 9-spd). He explained that both companies were manufacturing their own and that gave GM the leeway to develop a heavier duty version of the trans that did not need to be shared with Ford. That's what launched in the ZL1. A few months before the 10AT launched in F150. Of course, he told me to keep that quiet. This is actually the first time I've ever mentioned it.
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #744
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
FWIW, the 10AT in the ZL1 / ZLE is different than the 10AT in the Mustang and Camaro SS. Same basic design, but heavier duty. And ironically, it was the first 10AT to make it to market. I was guiding Al O.'s team through the NAIAS in 2016 and was showing them the Ford F150. I told them that the F150 was going to be the first vehicle to get the new GM / Ford 10 speed. Al pulled me off to the side and said "No they won't. We'll get there first with the ZL1". I asked him how that was the case when Ford was lead on the RWD design (GM was lead on the FWD 9-spd). He explained that both companies were manufacturing their own and that gave GM the leeway to develop a heavier duty version of the trans that did not need to be shared with Ford. That's what launched in the ZL1. A few months before the 10AT launched in F150. Of course, he told me to keep that quiet. This is actually the first time I've ever mentioned it.
Well that explains quite a lot about why the A10 in the ZL1 has been so bulletproof and the Mustang GT has had issues...

Different engineering choices on software and internals = different results.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #745
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I'm no expert, but the ring is a high speed loop, which to my mind the manual still rules, weight, friction and heat.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #746
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
WHOA!! I honestly feel honored that you shared this info with me before anyone else, lol!! Thank you man!! But yea when I first started reading this reply I thought "uh, wait, the F150 had it first, Martin is slipping up", lol!! But as always, you're right on point!! Again, thanks for sharing this info!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
I think they were waiting for Ford to give the announcement to throw that bucket of cold water

2 questions:

3-What do you think will be the difference in circuit time between the M6 and the A10 in the ZLE? (Would apply the same as in the ZL1? In that case I do not know the difference in times too)

2-Do you think that Chevrolet will take the A10 ZLE to the Nurburgring to show what it can do?

Another thing ... With the A10 tle ZLE goes up to $ 71,700 as the base price ... let's put that perspective against the GT350R and the GT500 TP
It seems that GM keeps something up their sleeve to throw out there whenever the Ford camp does something. Ford announces the GT500 and says something about "over 700 HP" and GM announces the 755 HP ZR1 and then has it out for sale way before the GT500. Ford puts out more info on the GT500 and mentions the 7 sp DCT with no M6 option so now we see GM adding the A10 to the ZLE!! LOL!! It seems that the Ford team can't catch a clean break. So again, it really makes me wonder if GM has plans to use the LT5 or something LT5-ish in a 6th Gen Z28 or something.

At $71K I think we're at about the upper limits of what Camaro buyers will pay. It is now more expensive than the GT350R but since it straight up destroys that car without even breaking a sweat and is fully optioned, I can say it is priced fairly from a performance perspective.

I KNOW GM will have it out on the Ring.

I think the A10 will do better than the M6 around a track. And any hope the GT500 had of beating the ZLE has just vanished. Plus we'll likely see it hit low 11s like the standard ZL1 does.

I'll add that while GM was doing this for 2019, they should have also re-programmed the M6 in the 2019 ZLE and ZL1 to get rid of that TM nonsense. At this point we all can full agree that it is more of a hassle and hindrance than anything else. So they should have removed it put in a "Race" mode allowing the user to turn it off. But oh well.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #747
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Martinjlm - The most interesting man on Camaro6.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #748
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
So here's a little add on to that story.

My White ZL1 was the 2nd production A10 for Ford or Chevy. Have some cool pics along those lines that I'll have to show you next time I visit.

the ZL1 gets a beefed up 10L90 and the SS a 10L80.

It looks like the 1LE got a different oil pan too which must have to do with additional cooling.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:01 AM   #749
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Meanwhile nobody still knows the pricing of the GT500, lol!! I'm glad GM and Dodge chose not to make their customers wait this long.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #750
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
WHOA!! I honestly feel honored that you shared this info with me before anyone else, lol!! Thank you man!! But yea when I first started reading this reply I thought "uh, wait, the F150 had it first, Martin is slipping up", lol!! But as always, you're right on point!! Again, thanks for sharing this info!!

It seems that GM keeps something up their sleeve to throw out there whenever the Ford camp does something. Ford announces the GT500 and says something about "over 700 HP" and GM announces the 755 HP ZR1 and then has it out for sale way before the GT500. Ford puts out more info on the GT500 and mentions the 7 sp DCT with no M6 option so now we see GM adding the A10 to the ZLE!! LOL!! It seems that the Ford team can't catch a clean break. So again, it really makes me wonder if GM has plans to use the LT5 or something LT5-ish in a 6th Gen Z28 or something.

At $71K I think we're at about the upper limits of what Camaro buyers will pay. It is now more expensive than the GT350R but since it straight up destroys that car without even breaking a sweat and is fully optioned, I can say it is priced fairly from a performance perspective.

I KNOW GM will have it out on the Ring.

I think the A10 will do better than the M6 around a track. And any hope the GT500 had of beating the ZLE has just vanished. Plus we'll likely see it hit low 11s like the standard ZL1 does.

I'll add that while GM was doing this for 2019, they should have also re-programmed the M6 in the 2019 ZLE and ZL1 to get rid of that TM nonsense. At this point we all can full agree that it is more of a hassle and hindrance than anything else. So they should have removed it put in a "Race" mode allowing the user to turn it off. But oh well.
Good move by Chevy to now offer the A10 option for the ZLE. Although they should have announced their intentions earlier as I suspect many who purchased the manual version would have waited for this.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #751
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Good move by Chevy to now offer the A10 option for the ZLE. Although they should have announced their intentions earlier as I suspect many who purchased the manual version would have waited for this.
There is always something better, that is the way the merry go around works.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #752
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
There is always something better, that is the way the merry go around works.
Exactly! The only constant is change. I see people adopt early and get upset every Generation.

That said, I agree with newmoon. The 1LE in 5th Gen was only manual, and Al O was very clear it would remain that way. Consumers had every reason to believe the 1LE would be manual only this generation. I would be upset on this one.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #753
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Its still a good move from GMs point of view. Some of the manuals will be traded in by the guys that don't visit a road course. And found out the hard way. That manuals suck at the drag strip. it wont be a huge percentage. But itll happen. Some people just gotta have the latest greatestthing.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #754
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Exactly! The only constant is change. I see people adopt early and get upset every Generation.

That said, I agree with newmoon. The 1LE in 5th Gen was only manual, and Al O was very clear it would remain that way. Consumers had every reason to believe the 1LE would be manual only this generation. I would be upset on this one.
I was one that thought that the 6th gen would come with an auto.

I adopt early and I'm completely happy knowing that the product gets better. I had a 09 and then a 11 Challenger, lots of changes and even more now. To me part of the hobby is working thru the improvement, sometimes adopting them, or work around. Take the DSSV shocks, I always thought this would come out on the 6th gen, and did NOT order the mag ride (not compatible without $$ spent). But sure all the mods to the 6th gen will not be as good as a stock 7th gen...
Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #755
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
Its still a good move from GMs point of view. Some of the manuals will be traded in by the guys that don't visit a road course. And found out the hard way. That manuals suck at the drag strip. it wont be a huge percentage. But itll happen. Some people just gotta have the latest greatestthing.
As I said the GT 500 with the "auto" is winning move, I am surprised that Chevy already had an answer... competition.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #756
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
I gave up on the latest and greatest thing years back and my bank account thanks me
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote