Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #729
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Think about that again, remember physics. If that fob is dangling and you have more weight on it, what motion is it that makes an ignition move? Oh yea, a turning motion, effectively turning the ignition off. Why they say you shouldn't put a lot of items on your key chain, plus it puts a lot of weight on the key and could do some damage there. Of course this would happen "over time" with a lot of wear but definitely possible.

All this is very hypothetical with a lot of things "happening just right" but then again it's just like this recall.

If you read my statement again, I very clearly describe the key and fob with nothing on it.

Your physics example requires a lot more rotational force to be applied to the stationary object in the 'chain'- the key- than the model supports, as the fob is not directly moving the key in the manner the recall describes. As an example, if I place a rod through a chain link and then spin the rod, am I spinning the chain link too? Only if the chain link has enough friction, right? Well then how am I spinning the stationary rod by bumping the chain link then? The chain link will just swing.

The only way the full force is applied to the key by the fob is when mechanically the fob cannot be rotated further- think about it- and it binds on the keyring. Prior to that point in my stated example, there is not enough friction to turn the key, becasue the fob isn't heavy enough. Your model requires a moment arm mine doesn't and can't have. The ignition is designed to need 3 or 4 lbs of pressure if I recall correctly. Thanks for trying to make me look ignorant just the same, but to refute my statement, you changed my model

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 06-14-2014 at 11:45 AM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #730
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
I'm still waiting for Skidpuppy to explain how the ignition gets cut off by reaching for the radio....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #731
Dr. Krabz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I will be curious to see how many people actually get this done once the dust settles. From what I have see on here so far most people including myself won't be getting this done. It's really a non-issue in my mind.
Dr. Krabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #732
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
So went out and tried this, my knee hits the steering wheel not even close to the key, I would have to move the seat way up close to get my knee to hit it, and even then I tried to knee it like 15 times, and I couldn't get it to shut off.

Again who is going to jerk there foot off the gas to hit the key??

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #733
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
For my understanding. They will make it also in the export camaros like mine.

For all other problems it will ne no possible to make some guarantee works, but for the key gm says its ok?

I prefere some change of my supercharger, which make some noises.
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #734
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
How about this issue, separate from the key fob thing:

I was just ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 2LT as an upgrade to my 2012 1LT. GM is running $2500 in consumer rebates, as well as my dealer running a $2000 discount from MSRP...a real killer deal coupled with the upside trade in value I have with my 2012. However, the rebates end June 30th. Have no idea how long the sales hold will be, so the rebates could expire before the hold is removed.

The least GM can do is extend the rebates for the length of the sales hold....but who knows how they will address this and I don't hear anyone else commenting on this issue which is far more important to me than the key fob stupidity.

While I understand why the sales hold was done, how about the option of me signing either a waver form that I hold GM harmless if I have a key fob malfunction, or I sign an agreement that I promise to bring the car in for the replacement key/fob recall? This makes much more sense to me, but then again, this is GM we are talking about.

Oh, and about the key fob issue....in the almost 3 years I have had my 2012, I have NEVER touched the key fob with my knee, and never thought that there was any problem with the possibility of hitting the fob and shutting off the engine....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #735
Skidpuppy
ACE5

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Uh...just where is your radio?
Right where it's supposed to be.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #736
Skidpuppy
ACE5

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
I'm still waiting for Skidpuppy to explain how the ignition gets cut off by reaching for the radio....
I'm not sure how I did it but I did. All I know is, I reached for the radio, probably had my hand on the bottom of the wheel, went underneath it and brushed my keys. All thats on my key fob is my house key and a few of those small plastic barcode store things.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #737
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
So I just took my car out and at both 35 and 55 mph...turned it off. No loss of steering, no loss of braking power. In fact, I wasn't even sure the car was off. I had to check the gauges. Maybe this is why people are having issues? Otherwise, I can't see any way this is causing crashes.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #738
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
How about this issue, separate from the key fob thing:

I was just ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 2LT as an upgrade to my 2012 1LT. GM is running $2500 in consumer rebates, as well as my dealer running a $2000 discount from MSRP...a real killer deal coupled with the upside trade in value I have with my 2012. However, the rebates end June 30th. Have no idea how long the sales hold will be, so the rebates could expire before the hold is removed.
If you have bought the car (deposit paid) then they honor any and all incentives offered at the time of the deal being reached. Delivery date has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #739
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Dammit, I checked the law and 49 USC Section 30120 means that they can't deliever until the defect has been corrected. I don't see any loopholes to this.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #740
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Most of them were merged/moved to another section. I imagine this one will be too.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #741
vonrebel

Drives: 2021 2SS 1le Shock
Read a brief article mentioned possiblly replacing the ingintion switch spring with a stronger spring. The separate key FOB is also possible.
Dealer has a hold on my new 1le, even though bought, and paid for, until the recall is fixed and my auto insurance will cover and damages while it sits there waiting for the fix.
Frustraion.....
A10, Navigation, Sunroof, Illuminated bow tie, 30% tint, GM Splash guards, GM Strut brace, GM CAI, Illuminated foot wells, Wicker bill, BLK GM Camaro fender badge, GM Fuel door w/ Carbon fiber inserts.
vonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #742
shane4

Drives: Honda. Camaro in the future.
Blame the media and lawyers for a poorly designed ignition switch... Not a word on chevy or the engineers? Wow.
shane4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall