Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-02-2020, 04:24 AM   #7155
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I've always assumed the best bet would be to start with an SS, 5.0, or SRT392 and build from there. It sounds like you'd agree. Between these three, which one would be the least expensive to get to a reliable 1000hp?
Safest, easiest, and least expensive way if you just wanted 1000 HP would be the 5.0 as much as it pains me to say. That is if you're only talking about these 3 choices. The LT1 would be 2nd but would require much more. The SRT392 will never make it without complete overhaul. Most Mopar guys will tell you that non-Hellcat engines are not good with boost. Especially the 5.7s. They oil rings on the pistons cannot handle even light boost on a mild tune. At least that's how it was a few years ago when I was looking to supercharge my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 5.7. Which is why you don't see them engines with blowers as frequently as their GM and Ford rivals. Things might have changed recently but I doubt it.

Overall tho the Hellcat out of all engines would be the easiest, safest, cheapest, and most relible to make 1000 RWHP. Perhaps the new GT500 is up there with it. But the HC would get the nod from me as its been done many times over the past few years.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:51 AM   #7156
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
I've always assumed the best bet would be to start with an SS, 5.0, or SRT392 and build from there. It sounds like you'd agree. Between these three, which one would be the least expensive to get to a reliable 1000hp?
As a former 2x Challenger owner, nothing in the drivetrain and suspension is reliable at 1000 engine hp. Plus 12% more hp just to make up the weight, then there is a street tire issue at 100 tread wear, nothing is going to launch 4450 curb weight car.

Got no idea on the Mustang, the rear diff especially with 3.73 is suspect, all shafts are useless, the manual is weak. If the engine need valvetrain parts that would be heck of expensive 32 valves. AFAIK even the stock voodoo had reliability issues with chains and oil pump. So can one drop in forged pistons and rods and crank the boost to 1000 hp on 93? Maybe, don’t know how dependable.

A10 camaro, shafts for sure, I would spec a forged crank with radius fillets, thick I beam rods, forged pistons, cam and kit, va lives, posted head, theoretically the D1X will do 1050 hp. So say 10k for engine, 7k for blower, 7k for fuel and tune, 2.5 k for shafts. Add in rubber to suit. I built a street engine, I only assume that 93 octane on 15. Psi built engine can support a 10.5cr. Clearly there is a street load octane limit. Overall the camaro is cheap till you get to the di fuel system. The mustang dual inject is cheaper at this point. One could say sell the lt1 engine for4k and buy a crate lt5 for 18k, problem solved, as this is a dual inject engine. I paid low 30k for my SS out the door.....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 05-02-2020 at 06:02 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #7157
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Safest, easiest, and least expensive way if you just wanted 1000 HP would be the 5.0 as much as it pains me to say. That is if you're only talking about these 3 choices. The LT1 would be 2nd but would require much more. The SRT392 will never make it without complete overhaul. Most Mopar guys will tell you that non-Hellcat engines are not good with boost. Especially the 5.7s. They oil rings on the pistons cannot handle even light boost on a mild tune. At least that's how it was a few years ago when I was looking to supercharge my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 5.7. Which is why you don't see them engines with blowers as frequently as their GM and Ford rivals. Things might have changed recently but I doubt it.

Overall tho the Hellcat out of all engines would be the easiest, safest, cheapest, and most relible to make 1000 RWHP. Perhaps the new GT500 is up there with it. But the HC would get the nod from me as its been done many times over the past few years.
Seems like I'm seeing more more modded 5.0s probably because of this.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #7158
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
As a former 2x Challenger owner, nothing in the drivetrain and suspension is reliable at 1000 engine hp. Plus 12% more hp just to make up the weight, then there is a street tire issue at 100 tread wear, nothing is going to launch 4450 curb weight car.

Got no idea on the Mustang, the rear diff especially with 3.73 is suspect, all shafts are useless, the manual is weak. If the engine need valvetrain parts that would be heck of expensive 32 valves. AFAIK even the stock voodoo had reliability issues with chains and oil pump. So can one drop in forged pistons and rods and crank the boost to 1000 hp on 93? Maybe, don’t know how dependable.

A10 camaro, shafts for sure, I would spec a forged crank with radius fillets, thick I beam rods, forged pistons, cam and kit, va lives, posted head, theoretically the D1X will do 1050 hp. So say 10k for engine, 7k for blower, 7k for fuel and tune, 2.5 k for shafts. Add in rubber to suit. I built a street engine, I only assume that 93 octane on 15. Psi built engine can support a 10.5cr. Clearly there is a street load octane limit. Overall the camaro is cheap till you get to the di fuel system. The mustang dual inject is cheaper at this point. One could say sell the lt1 engine for4k and buy a crate lt5 for 18k, problem solved, as this is a dual inject engine. I paid low 30k for my SS out the door.....
Always impressed with your knowledge Oldman!
Old 05-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #7159
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Always impressed with your knowledge Oldman!

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #7160
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Interesting. Is there a less expensive way to get to Iconic's speed and reliability when it comes to roll racing?
I would have to say a 5.0 GT a10 or ss a8/a10. It's probably cheapest with the 5.0 since the internals are better and everything in the mustang world is more widespread and affordable.

Having said that, when Power Nation had the Horsepower Wars series going last year, the camaro team built the better 1000hp car with a 10k budget using prochargers. Mustang needed oil gears, ss needed rods and pistons, as did the challeneger. Still I think a turbo 5.0 would be the faster and cheaper route there.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #7161
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Ouch, dude, you had to go there
Lol it's not not a dig, and our camaros are in the same boat, but its true and Ford guys forget that when they bring up price. The crappiest vette is still a nice 50k v8 sports car.

Not to mention a 92k cftp gt500 is pretty damn expensive and most who can afford that can afford 120k zr1. Now the base gt500 is a hell of a street performance deal. No doubt about it.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #7162
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Now the base gt500 is a hell of a street performance deal. No doubt about it.
Yea, for people who don't drive over 180 mph.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #7163
IconicGT500
Banned

Drives: shelby
Quote:
Interesting. Is there a less expensive way to get to Iconic's speed and reliability when it comes to roll racing?
nope. lol

you will never get the all around package the gt500 offers for less $. porsche level roadcourse and mid 9 sec 1/4 mile and 4 sec 60-130? for $80k? goodluck.

funny.. blaqhole.. where are all these cars you had lined up for me? certainly not GM cars anymore funny how you were caught in one of the bigest lies ever told on the internet. jalopnik would have a field day with this, maybe we should send it over

i said stock cmaro/corvett for a stock gt500. modded for me.. there are -0- stock motor GM cars that can compete - this is fact. cam isnt stock mtor, as it goes inside yes? weird how the mighty have fallen..

ill wait for a legitimate competitor. stock or modifed.. you let me know
IconicGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #7164
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconicGT500 View Post
nope. lol

you will never get the all around package the gt500 offers for less $. porsche level roadcourse and mid 9 sec 1/4 mile and 4 sec 60-130? for $80k? goodluck.

funny.. blaqhole.. where are all these cars you had lined up for me? certainly not GM cars anymore funny how you were caught in one of the bigest lies ever told on the internet. jalopnik would have a field day with this, maybe we should send it over

i said stock cmaro/corvett for a stock gt500. modded for me.. there are -0- stock motor GM cars that can compete - this is fact. cam isnt stock mtor, as it goes inside yes? weird how the mighty have fallen..

Dude you're such a joke that I doubt the guy in the Demon will race you even if you came to NY. I can't take you seriously.

Anyways, I'm buying a Hyabusa right now. Hold for pics.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #7165
hotlap

Quote:
Yea, for people who don't drive over 180 mph.
More so ...a car, whose manufacturer isn’t comfortable with people driving it over 180 mph.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 05-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #7166
ZRacerLE

Quote:
nope. lol

I agree with that. I'm asking about just roll racing. What would you go with if you weren't looking for a well rounded car, but wanted to roll race with 1000hp?
Old 05-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #7167
hotlap

Quote:
nope. lol

What about the second lap? ...and you’re talking about the base car.?.?.?
Quote:

Not even close. Blaq is just trolling the trolls.

We had a Mustang fan here a few years ago that created multiple user names so he could debate us and himself ...as an impartial owner of the finest from the domestic brands ...who through his vast exposure ...could say why Camaro was soo bad.

Just a few of his handles were titianfan, ztwentypoop, tooslow. He was so stupid he couldn’t keep his lies straight.

He use to tow lawn equipment with his new gen5 Z/28.

Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 05-02-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #7168
Wild One

Drives: 13ZL1
Cool

Quote:
Ford cuts corners with everything. Which is why I will never fully trust any highly modded Mustang.
nope. lol

And how long has this platform been out?

Reliability has not been established.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Wild One is offline   Reply With Quote