Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #57
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov Ov3r View Post
I think I agree with this answer the most. I put $500 a month away for about 3 years for this car in a savings account and $1000 in a separate account for a house. I didn't touch either until I decided to get married (go figure). The $500 a month also helped ensure I would be able to afford my lifestyle and other expenses while adding a car payment into the mix. My payments and insurance don't exceed the $500 a month I was putting away, but like you I have equity in the car from putting a sizable amount down. It's going to come down to how you want to spend the money, really consider all your options.
Smart man. You have to balance your financials in life, a car is not worth the stress.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #58
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Oh, boy! I wish goproz would chime in here. I'm not so sure he is looking for so much "practical" advice. He wants a Camaro!
As someone who owned a condo and a practical car while in school, I would not do that again. I would rent a nicer place than I could afford to buy, and drive a nicer, newer car, but not beyond what I could afford. Despite pretty much guaranteed earning potential with my degree, I would not have taken out a car loan. Banks/mortgage companies look at car loans and credit card debt very differently than student loan debt.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #59
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Many ways to look at this. Its a hard choice.

Overall though I think the V6 is a smart move, learn the car, learn to respect and appreciate it, move on to an SS later.

Although I do question some of you guys paying $1,100 on tires in a non 1LE model. I got mine for $600 and they perform much better than my stock Goodyears.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #60
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Many ways to look at this. Its a hard choice.

Overall though I think the V6 is a smart move, learn the car, learn to respect and appreciate it, move on to an SS later.

Although I do question some of you guys paying $1,100 on tires in a non 1LE model. I got mine for $600 and they perform much better than my stock Goodyears.
What tires did you get for $600?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #61
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy1LE View Post
$1045. I spent for the bridgestone RE980AS
I'm just now seeing the RE980AS for our cars, but when I search for them via tire rack, they don't show under the 1LE model but I can search them individually and find the 285/30/20 and 305/30/20, wonder why that is.

I'm running the Nitto NT555 G2's, once that rubber goes I might switch to A/S, any feedback on the tires so far?
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #62
goproz

Drives: n
Thank you!

Thanks everyone! I've read every single post on the thread multiple times, thinking hard about what I'll do.

I am starting to lean towards the 2LT. I think a much smaller loan (2-3k for a 2LT) will be much less stressful and very manageable.

Something that's hard for me to stomach is that I would be paying 6k extra just for the v8! (assuming 2LT v6 is 25k and v8 is 31k with comparable miles) On top of that, more expensive gas with worse MPG with the v8!

However, when I eventually sell the car in aprox. 5 years time, I can get ~$2.5k back that I spent on the more expensive V8.

Computer Science internships pay quite well, but I wouldn't want to spend the majority of my earnings on a car loan.

SOMETHING that is very tough for me is that I will be holding onto this car for a long time. At this point in college, I think would be the hardest time for me to pay back the loan. But when I am working a Computer Science job in about 1.5-2.5 years from now, I may have wished I got the v8 because I would most likely be able to afford the payments with ease then. While I could get the v6 now and trade it for a v8 in 2-3 years, I would feel bad because I would be trading in something my parents got me for something better, and so soon.

I would like to thank everyone for all their responses. I loved checking the post numerous times a day and seeing all the opinions. I didn't think it would blow up this much! I still have 8 months time until the car will become required so that I can commute to whatever internship I get. So there is no rush, but I am really trying to plan everything out so I can narrow down what I'm looking for.

If anyone ever sees a great deal on a 2LT or 2SS hyper blue metallic, 2LT hot wheels edition, or any other great deal let me know!

As you guys can see, my thoughts are all over the place!

Last edited by goproz; 09-25-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: addition
goproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #63
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
My parents helped me by paying about 1/3 of the cost of a new Camaro that I bought when graduating from college. Starting out with a BSEE degree gave me a steady source of good paying jobs right from the start, which I suspect will also be your experience with CS. That's a great field right now. I kept that car for about 10 years - it was a 5.0 TPI / 5speed IROC and was the first of 6 Camaro's that I have owned over the years.
But I waited until graduating and landing my first job and just drove the 35 year old Impala during college. Actually that's not quite true - I also picked up a Civic for $2K that became my daily driver and main road trip car to get me back home. Of course that car was still a bit of a beater and broke on me almost as much as the Impala. Got much better gas mileage tho!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #64
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the V6. To be fair, even if you decide to trade the 6 for the 8 at a later time, it would still be based on the original principle that your parents helped out, and you could replace that money back into the V8. I don't think it would be a slap to the face to them or anything of that nature. (IMO)

Also a lot will change in the next 8 months. 2016 and 2017's will lower in cost thus making the decision probably that much harder for you to make. I would stick around the forum and check on topics related to both cars, as more members put miles more problems are bound to come up and give you a better idea of ownership costs in the next 8 months. Until then keep searching for the one you want, I waited about a year in looking for the one I wanted (1LE) and finding it for the right price as they are hard to come by in DFW. Like you I purchased used because I knew I didn't want to be car broke paying for a brand new 1LE.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #65
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
My first thought "save your money you idiot".

Then I realized the time I wanted a Camaro the most was when I was in high school. The muscle car era was all about high school kids driving these cars.

We think a young person can't appreciate things like this but it's actually the opposite.

So get what you want. Just don't embarrass yourself later by complaining about your student loan debt.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #66
hakuna_matata

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Get the V8 stop listening to the adults who couldnt get such a great car when they were your age. I'm in college I have the v8 get the v8
hakuna_matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #67
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
Get the V8 stop listening to the adults who couldnt get such a great car when they were your age.
I rode R6 and GSXR while in school, nothing faster or more fun. It's not about getting "such a great car" it's about investing into your own future. Something a lot of us don't understand when we're young and dumb.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #68
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I'm just now seeing the RE980AS for our cars, but when I search for them via tire rack, they don't show under the 1LE model but I can search them individually and find the 285/30/20 and 305/30/20, wonder why that is.

I'm running the Nitto NT555 G2's, once that rubber goes I might switch to A/S, any feedback on the tires so far?
Quote:
I rode R6 and GSXR while in school, nothing faster or more fun. It's not about getting "such a great car" it's about investing into your own future. Something a lot of us don't understand when we're young and dumb.
Tires are great! Not as much grip compared to stock but they hold there own. Last year drove the car in light snow and no issues.

Also I would suggest if doable to get a bike as well. So much fun, cheap to maintain and it would be payed off. Insurance shouldnt be to bad. Comparing "high motorcycle insurance" to "high auto insurance" is apples to oranges so I wouldn't worry about it. Especially being in NC you should be able to "stretch" your riding season. Uber on the off season..or buy a beater.

Quote:
Get the V8 stop listening to the adults who couldnt get such a great car when they were your age. I'm in college I have the v8 get the v8
Yes take advice from another college student that is currently going through it.... not the adults that already went through it.
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #69
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
stop listening to the adults who couldn't get such a great car when they were your age. I'm in college I have the v8 get the v8
This is a specious comment without knowing the background of your financials.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #70
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
My personal opinion is that $22,000 is a lot of money to throw at a car when there are far better, and more financially beneficial choices to be made. However, it is just a car and if you found yourself in a financial pickle the car could be sold. You will likely lose money in the process, but it won't bankrupt you. I do wish younger people learn to be patient. It seems that many (not all) younger people want things "right now" rather than wait for a better time. Good things come with time. I worked a long time before buying my Camaro because that seemed like the right decision. Plus my parents didn't give me any money towards a car. Their approach was simple...if you want a car get job and buy one. So that's what I did. But, like I said, it's just a car. It's not like you're gambling away $22,000 and might lose every penny of it. Just don't lease because then you're stuck with it and the payment. If you buy, you can sell it if need be. Just my opinion.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt, 2ss, pricing