Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-27-2018, 06:26 AM   #57
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
The idea is to have the fob on your person at all times, just like you would a key.

Why not have a regular key? Because you have to take it out of your pocket. It's that simple.
And the flip-side problem with that is equally simple to see coming.

Not having to take it out of your pocket every time you go to drive your car and keep it in the car the whole time the engine is running is exactly how people occasionally end up miles away from their fob and can't restart their car. It's opposite to a good habit to develop, and every so often the tiny convenience of not having to even touch it becomes a huge inconvenience.

I'd be ashamed of myself if I felt so vain or self-important that reaching into my pocket for a key - or a plug-in fob if turning a key is too much trouble - was beneath my dignity.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-27-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #58
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
The idea is to have the fob on your person at all times, just like you would a key.

Why not have a regular key? Because you have to take it out of your pocket. It's that simple. Except for those that have remote start, there's no reason to ever touch the fob when out and about. And I believe you can remote start with the phone app.
But can you drive it once it's started without the fob? I can remote start my 2015 Terrain but nothing will operate until I put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #59
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Everyone's got their own oppinion but the Camaro isnt the first car with a remote keyfob I've owned. Alot of manufactures are going this route on modern cars.

Thing is, its different..I personally don't see it as a flaw, of course you need to be aware of what you're doing with the fob - but the same applies for a real key (which btw you can ALSO lose after you're hours away from your home.)

I will say this though, when you have a car that has a keyfob and a car that uses a regular key.. ..you have to be EXTRA careful with the car that uses a regular key (forgetting to take it out the ignition and assuming its in your pocket... I've done this once already while my SS was in the shop and I used my 99 Z28 and locked myself out of it during my lunch break.)

Basically... idea is just to keep the fob in your pocket at all times.. ...eliminates all issues with the possibility of finding yourself hours away from your home and key less.

---

Also, the car is not going to stall, or die if the battery in the fob dies. It will remain running until the next time you attempt to restart it. Our Infiniti G37 also warns us of a low keyfob battery. I dont know if the 6th Gen Camaro has this warning.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #60
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
As i've always said, Keyless start is the stupidest modern feature of any car that has it. Between this and exiting the car without the key and having it honk at me, to no place to put it if you don't keep it in your pocket. I would value key ignitions coming back.
So a few people screw up and you want the other million plus to suffer for the irresponsible ones. In that case some people are in car wrecks so let’s do away with cars period.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #61
Bigdog9586

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
A couple of years ago, I was watching a British car show, and a group of them were taking a trip on a newer American car (I believe it was a Chrysler?) to evaluate it.
They stopped to get a bite to eat, and while they were in the diner, one of them (not the driver) stepped outside, got in the car , started it up (the fob was in the drivers pocket and he was sitting in the diner, the car was out front) evidently the fob was close enough, and he drove off.

Right then I started wondering about the security/theft angle of the new push button start.

They never showed just how far he could have driven the car (he stopped just a ways away).

It'd be nice if the car would have automatically stopped once it got a certain distance and could no longer detect the fob.
Yup going 70 in rush hour traffic and have your car die in the middle of a 4 lane hihway would be great.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #62
Bigdog9586

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cavy22 View Post
So why not just have a regular key?
And do what with it? All it does is unlock door. No place to start it.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #63
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
mine gives you a warning that the key fob is not in the car.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #64
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Not having to take it out of your pocket every time you go to drive your car and keep it in the car the whole time the engine is running is exactly how people occasionally end up miles away from their fob and can't restart their car. It's opposite to a good habit to develop, and every so often the tiny convenience of not having to even touch it becomes a huge inconvenience.

I'd be ashamed of myself if I felt so vain or self-important that reaching into my pocket for a key - or a plug-in fob if turning a key is too much trouble - was beneath my dignity.

Norm

Well, for someone to start the car and drive off without the fob, meant they started the car with it on them, then exited with the engine running. They then forgot it somewhere, got in and drove off. Sure it can happen, but it's a slim chance for most. Not enough to outweigh the convenience. I will fault Chevy though, for not including the warning. I tested it yesterday, and it does not warn you that the FOB is missing. They should look into that.

And for me, having keyless entry has nothing to do with dignity. It's just a convenience that I've grown to appreciate. If the Camaro didn't have it, I'd be just fine without it.

As for leaving the fob in the car? Well, keeping it in your pocket avoids that. Plus, there's the warning honk.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #65
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm

I'd be ashamed of myself if I posted something like that. Embarrassing w/ cringe.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #66
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
But can you drive it once it's started without the fob? I can remote start my 2015 Terrain but nothing will operate until I put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON.
Unless you live in a colder climate where you need to warm up the engine, I see no point in remote starting your vehicle if you still need need the key in the ignition and in the ON position.

To answer your question, yes, once started with the fob, it's no longer needed to drive. Other cars have some kind of warning or mechanism to prevent that if the fob is missing. The Camaro doesn't. There should be, at the very least, a warning.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #67
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
Yup going 70 in rush hour traffic and have your car die in the middle of a 4 lane hihway would be great.
the idea would be to allow the car to only go a mile or two, then check to see if the fob is still in range. That way, it should die within walking distance so you can go back and get a fob. Or possibly just put it in limp mode.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #68
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
mine gives you a warning that the key fob is not in the car.
Is it before starting the car, or while driving? When I tested it, I drove for a brief minute around the parking garage and back. Maybe I did not give it enough time. I was definitely far enough away to be out of range.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #69
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
It happened to my wife Explorer. She forgot key other day and drove a car. I really hate new all technology crap.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #70
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Unless you live in a colder climate where you need to warm up the engine, I see no point in remote starting your vehicle if you still need need the key in the ignition and in the ON position.

To answer your question, yes, once started with the fob, it's no longer needed to drive. Other cars have some kind of warning or mechanism to prevent that if the fob is missing. The Camaro doesn't. There should be, at the very least, a warning.
Or if you live in a warmer climate and want your car to cool.

GM cars alert you if the KEY has left the interior of the car while running but when you close the door.

It's pretty sad to try and blame GM if you started your car, got out and DIDN'T close the door but then put your key somewhere else and got back in the car and drove off. Yes, they could warn you again, but the odds that you've done what OP did are pretty remote. And as for remote, you luddites that find technology offensive and want an old fashioned key, just go buy a nice used car. Me? Love it and wish I didn't even have to push the small button on the door to unlock it.