Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #57
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
If you prefer manual definitely get it over the a8! It is much more fun and involving. The auto rev match is an added bonus.
I got my 2ss 6m with magnetic ride and sunroof with 1200 miles for 34k. There are great deals out there if you're patient.

I'm sure the v6 is great as well; definitely check it out as it may be enough for you.
It was v8 or nothing for me.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #58
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I'm upgrading to a 2SS soon, but not because my 2lt isn't hella fun on the hwy. It is. Sweet growl. I've never had a v8 before. Honestly, hasn't even been relevant before the gen6. Jumping in the deep end head first. No plans to use a beater tho, being I don't get credit for time served and I sure as hell can't take it with me even tho I plan to try.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:48 AM   #59
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I bought my V6 because I needed a car right then, and it was the cheapest Camaro on the lot. I knew nothing about Camaros and bought it because it had good reviews and was cheap. I paid $25,700.

One year later, and I have horsepower fever. Trying to decide now whether to:
-keep the V6 as a daily driver and buy 5th gen V8 to mod
-trade up for an SS
-pay $6000 for approx 100 HP with a supercharger and tune
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:30 AM   #60
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
All of these people saying that the V8 makes too much power for the streets, are either poor drivers or aren't ready for a sports car. If the V6 makes enough power for you, then that's great, but you're kidding yourself if you think it is "plenty fast". It would have been fast 10 years ago, but now it's only slightly quicker than a Maxima. The thing is, 10 years ago I didn't think my '02 SS had plenty of power (stock), so I had to mod it, but I'm quite happy with my '16 SS at stock power levels. It is about equivalent to my 4th gen with headers and a 100 shot of nitrous. Definitely not too much for the streets, as some people seem to think. Honestly, if you're not getting a V8 then I would recommend the 2.0T over the V6. Negligible performance difference that can be overcome by cranking the boost up.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #61
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
He's probably using the MPG computer on the car, which in my experience is about 2mpg higher than actual. But I have managed a best of 36.6 on the gauge. Easily able to hit 30+, even at interstate speed. AFM with the A8 on level grades can make for some serious hypermiling
That's still pretty impressive for actual mpg. GM needs to start using the M7 and A10 in the Camaro SS to make it even better.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #62
Malloc

Drives: 2017 2SS (Europe)
I have a Camaro 2SS. Honestly, it's not that nice of a car inside. I bought mine for the V8. If I had to choose another engine I would rather buy an Audi.
Malloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #63
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloc View Post
I have a Camaro 2SS. Honestly, it's not that nice of a car inside. I bought mine for the V8. If I had to choose another engine I would rather buy an Audi.
Then trade your Camaro in for an Audi and don't bitch about it.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #64
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
Then trade your Camaro in for an Audi and don't bitch about it.
I don't think he is bitching about his car. He is just stating that he thinks the car isn't worth owning without the V8 (which I agree with).
Old 08-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #65
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I luv the interior of my Camaro. Although I'm thirsty for that adrenaline red... and the v8 of course.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #66
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
All of these people saying that the V8 makes too much power for the streets, are either poor drivers or aren't ready for a sports car. If the V6 makes enough power for you, then that's great, but you're kidding yourself if you think it is "plenty fast". It would have been fast 10 years ago, but now it's only slightly quicker than a Maxima. The thing is, 10 years ago I didn't think my '02 SS had plenty of power (stock), so I had to mod it, but I'm quite happy with my '16 SS at stock power levels. It is about equivalent to my 4th gen with headers and a 100 shot of nitrous. Definitely not too much for the streets, as some people seem to think. Honestly, if you're not getting a V8 then I would recommend the 2.0T over the V6. Negligible performance difference that can be overcome by cranking the boost up.
I don't know what you have owned before the LS1 that you threw a 100 shot at, and thats cool don't get me wrong. But during the time of the LS1's production there were only a handful of factory production cars that could actually give them trouble stock for stock and honestly that has actually held up for quite some time until recently (and I'm willing to vouch a stock LS1 will still destroy about 70% of whats on the highway with the only things that would make it worry are the current modern V8's from dodge, chevy and ford.). So it "seems" like this is more of a preference related opinion and not exactly a factual one. The LS1 4th Gens were nowhere near under powered from the factory and they were knocking on the door of C5 territory. So it "seems" like you may have at one time had a faster car or a modded car before you stepped into your LS1 and if thats the case we're comparing apples and oranges.

I think by saying "plenty fast" they mean it suites daily driving needs as far as horse power is concerned and is not anywhere near in danger of being under powered. I can agree with this as it is actually the most powerful car in its own league of competitors.. Will it throw you in the back seat and make you say "OH SH*T!" ...no... but will it out perform most every day traffic still giving in you edge in acceleration, maneuverability and driveability? I say yes. Like the LS1, the only vehicles that actually will give it trouble are factory production V8's, and whats scary is even I-6 BMW's (priced $20k more) are having problems against that V6.

As for the Maxima comment? Those Maxima's are pretty quick but.. they're not really any faster than a 4th Gen LT1. They weigh a ton more than a 6th Gen V6 and make over 30 less HP. The 0-60 difference between the two cars is almost a full second..so I can't agree here.. They're alittle more than "slightly" faster than a Maxima.

-------

Is an SS too much for the street? I think thats largely based on Opinion. I mean technically by that logic a C7 is completely useless. It's just about what you want and what you prefer.. Will you ever NEED to use 455 Horse Power on the highway in todays traffic? Hell no. there's absolutely no circumstance where that much horse power is NECESSARY.. but is it fun? Oh hell yes... would I give it to a teenager as a first car? F*CK no.. you see? then we can say its TOO MUCH.. for the street.. or overkill..so what may be overkill for some may not be for others. I personally would have no issues with it but I highly doubt I would really have the opportunity to use that much power on public roads safely.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #67
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I would get a V8.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #68
my1stchevy

Drives: 2016 Camaro HBM 2SS NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I don't know what you have owned before the LS1 that you threw a 100 shot at, and thats cool don't get me wrong. But during the time of the LS1's production there were only a handful of factory production cars that could actually give them trouble stock for stock and honestly that has actually held up for quite some time until recently (and I'm willing to vouch a stock LS1 will still destroy about 70% of whats on the highway with the only things that would make it worry are the current modern V8's from dodge, chevy and ford.). So it "seems" like this is more of a preference related opinion and not exactly a factual one. The LS1 4th Gens were nowhere near under powered from the factory and they were knocking on the door of C5 territory. So it "seems" like you may have at one time had a faster car or a modded car before you stepped into your LS1 and if thats the case we're comparing apples and oranges.

I think by saying "plenty fast" they mean it suites daily driving needs as far as horse power is concerned and is not anywhere near in danger of being under powered. I can agree with this as it is actually the most powerful car in its own league of competitors.. Will it throw you in the back seat and make you say "OH SH*T!" ...no... but will it out perform most every day traffic still giving in you edge in acceleration, maneuverability and driveability? I say yes. Like the LS1, the only vehicles that actually will give it trouble are factory production V8's, and whats scary is even I-6 BMW's (priced $20k more) are having problems against that V6.

As for the Maxima comment? Those Maxima's are pretty quick but.. they're not really any faster than a 4th Gen LT1. They weigh a ton more than a 6th Gen V6 and make over 30 less HP. The 0-60 difference between the two cars is almost a full second..so I can't agree here.. They're alittle more than "slightly" faster than a Maxima.

-------

Is an SS too much for the street? I think thats largely based on Opinion. I mean technically by that logic a C7 is completely useless. It's just about what you want and what you prefer.. Will you ever NEED to use 455 Horse Power on the highway in todays traffic? Hell no. there's absolutely no circumstance where that much horse power is NECESSARY.. but is it fun? Oh hell yes... would I give it to a teenager as a first car? F*CK no.. you see? then we can say its TOO MUCH.. for the street.. or overkill..so what may be overkill for some may not be for others. I personally would have no issues with it but I highly doubt I would really have the opportunity to use that much power on public roads safely.

well said man... well said. My gen6 turbo is my 1st sports car and i have to deal with being stuck in traffic all too often so im sure it'll be the same thing with any v8 when i get one in the future. ive only seen one gen6 camaro ss blow pass on the street which sounded amazing. other then that i dont even hear them bc they can not use that power easier on the streets then a v6 or I4 driver.
my1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #69
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
I have a 2016 1SS and love it. If you can afford both I say get the 1SS. I don't miss a single 2SS feature... simply because I never had that feature to begin with hahah. The primary feature I would have wanted was the memory seats and mirrors because my 4'11 wife has a vastly different seating position from me. But even then... it is hardly a hassle to adjust the seat and mirrors when we switch it up.
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #70
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
Hey folks,

I can see this thread dividing the forum and up front realize we all have different views but I'm searching for a Camaro and my budget of $33-35k puts me in the sweet spot between either a high spec new/nearly new 2LT V6 RS or a 2016/2017 1SS.

I'm leaning heavily towards the V8 with lower spec but just wondered if others went through the same process and what the key contributing factors were behind your decision?

Honestly, either option would be a great car for me and I was initially only looking at V6 but budget has just crept up to get me into SS territory so keen to hear if the V8 really provides notably more fun on a daily basis and any concerns with the heavier engine impacting handling? Presumably the V6 feels lighter and more nimble or does the SS suspension enhancements (assuming base spec without magnetic ride / LSD) more than make up for that?

cheers,
Pete.
Why the 1SS...of course!
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote