Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #57
RS-Chevy-SS

Drives: Hyper Blue 1SS NPP
Update - No progress. Says they are deciding how they want to tackle this. GM called me back today and we discussed buy back and cost assistance.

Anyone know about these programs? How do they work?
RS-Chevy-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #58
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-Chevy-SS View Post
Update - No progress. Says they are deciding how they want to tackle this. GM called me back today and we discussed buy back and cost assistance.

Anyone know about these programs? How do they work?
I don't know how the program works, but am definitely happy to hear you're on the right track. Hope you get a better more reliable car out of the deal.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #59
RS-Chevy-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I don't know how the program works, but am definitely happy to hear you're on the right track. Hope you get a better more reliable car out of the deal.
The only problem is I love this car and would only want another Camaro same configuration and color. I mean if they want to get me a 2SS I would also take that.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #60
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Go the get a new car route...with bottom end issues you are probably gonna need a new engine, and that would worry me with a dealer doing it. Get a fresh car and start over. Just look at the LT1 reliability poll, like 90% have no problems, you just got a bad apple, it happens.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #61
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Go the get a new car route...with bottom end issues you are probably gonna need a new engine, and that would worry me with a dealer doing it. Get a fresh car and start over. Just look at the LT1 reliability poll, like 90% have no problems, you just got a bad apple, it happens.

I agree 100%. Get the new car.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #62
RS-Chevy-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
I agree 100%. Get the new car.
I wouldn't mind a new car but wouldn't I have to refinance it and everything? That would suck a lot.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #63
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-Chevy-SS View Post
I wouldn't mind a new car but wouldn't I have to refinance it and everything? That would suck a lot.
I would strongly suggest you consult a lemon law attorney. I'm sure part, if not all of the reason why GM is onboard this early is to mitigate damages for them.
Get educated, leverage that knowledge to get a new Camaro on your terms. Personally, I'd take reasonable check now, wait for winter (and travel to get a nice deal in Oct- Dec on a brand new set of wheels, preferably a 17). The ball is in your court. I'm mechanically inclined and can see no reasonable way a profit based service operation at any mid level dealership is going to hand you the keys to a problem free car after an engine transplant. There are just too many wires, connecters clamps and sensors...not to mention torque specs, where tight is good enough.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #64
RS-Chevy-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I would strongly suggest you consult a lemon law attorney. I'm sure part, if not all of the reason why GM is onboard this early is to mitigate damages for them.
Get educated, leverage that knowledge to get a new Camaro on your terms. Personally, I'd take reasonable check now, wait for winter (and travel to get a nice deal in Oct- Dec on a brand new set of wheels, preferably a 17). The ball is in your court. I'm mechanically inclined and can see no reasonable way a profit based service operation at any mid level dealership is going to hand you the keys to a problem free car after an engine transplant. There are just too many wires, connecters clamps and sensors...not to mention torque specs, where tight is good enough.
I'm also mechanically inclined. I did my own motor swap 2 years ago on my 89 Camaro with a GM crate engine. That's how I knew this engine sounded hurt. There was a member here that had an attorney in CA. I may reach out. God it seems like a hassle though. Wish I would have just gotten a good engine.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #65
ThatDaveGuy

Drives: old and needing replaced
Scanning quickly through the posts, I did not see the suggestion, so just thought I'd throw out:

If it helps your case at all, you might consider getting an oil sample kit from one of the analysis labs (I have used blackstone in the past ... https://www.blackstone-labs.com ) They have a $28 'standard test' which will look at your used engine oil for any sort of wear metals, antifreeze contamination / fuel dilution and additives remaining.

Might help confirm internal engine issues and give you more evidence for the service department if you see a lot of wear metals - or can give a 'clean bill of health' if the oil looks good, it might be some other part rattling.

Either way, hope it works out in your best interest.

** Standard disclaimer - I have no monetary interest, gain or involvement with 'Blackstone Labs'. Simply a service I've used in the past to monitor a couple engines I built and found them to provide good info and service.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:11 AM   #66
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
This informative article about engine balancing has nothing to do with AFM lifters. Rotating parts can be balanced..
Wrong;

You're failing to understand and realize that when the AFM activates it causes harmonic disturbances which lead to an UNBALANCED condition of the reciprocal assembly.

Do a little research. The info is out there, (Also look at the AFM issues in GM 5.3L Light Trucks). They've already proven that the AFM is the root cause of these failures.

AFM has no business in HP applications.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #67
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Wrong;

You're failing to understand and realize that when the AFM activates it causes harmonic disturbances which lead to an UNBALANCED condition of the reciprocal assembly.

Do a little research. The info is out there, (Also look at the AFM issues in GM 5.3L Light Trucks). They've already proven that the AFM is the root cause of these failures.

AFM has no business in HP applications.
Any links you can provide will be appreciated.

No doubt, there are forces at work in the reciprocating parts of the valve train, but how does AFM make them worse? I am genuinely curious.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #68
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Sorry this happened, I would push for a new car.

To others getting paranoid, do you know have many hundreds of thousands of these motors are out there that are perfectly fine. Lift failure happens to some extent on any motor afm or not
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #69
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Sorry this happened, I would push for a new car.

To others getting paranoid, do you know have many hundreds of thousands of these motors are out there that are perfectly fine. Lift failure happens to some extent on any motor afm or not
Yup, I would hope most understand this.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #70
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
23k miles, 11 psi, methanol, daily WOT here and there (don't race daily though)

No lifter knock. Alongside a bunch of other people in the FI section.

When you've got so many out there, its easy to make a forum post turn into a paranoia fest. Just pay attention to your car. If you're under warranty, great. If not, you should have made plans for engine repairs since you went with the mod route.

OP; this suck man, but I'm certain they'll take care of you considering you're covered. I wouldn't worry about getting another Camaro SS. Lots of us beating the absolute snot out of these motors without a single hiccup.
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote