Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #57
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Was it really necessary to bump a yr old thread for this?
Yes it was. There is still a lot of misleading information floating around about this topic. That's how I ended up in this tread. You guys crack me up on here at times. You give people shit for not using the search function and when they do, you give them more for posting in an older thread. Make up your mines.

The topic is still relevant either way. Peope still think that part of the car is aluminum. It isnt.

Last edited by motorhead; 02-10-2018 at 01:20 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #58
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520571

I’d rather be safe than sorry.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #59
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Read the entire thread. I realize its a year old but I wanted to note that the forces exerted on the area where a 4 tire strap lift versus a jack or car lift in a shop on those same parts are astronomically different. You're fighting the full force of gravity when lifting directly upward versus "pulling" the car onto a tow truck.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #60
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Read the entire thread. I realize its a year old but I wanted to note that the forces exerted on the area where a 4 tire strap lift versus a jack or car lift in a shop on those same parts are astronomically different. You're fighting the full force of gravity when lifting directly upward versus "pulling" the car onto a tow truck.
I get what you are saying, but the fact remains that that area is steel and is pretty stout. Many cars have a similar type support as that. I never had an issue jacking cars there.
My main point of bringing this back up was to correct the fact that many are still saying that area is aluminium evening going so far as to posting videos pointing that out. It isnt aluminum or soft.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #61
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Jacking points - Mythbuster Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yes it was. There is still a lot of misleading information floating around about this topic. That's how I ended up in this tread. You guys crack me up on here at times. You give people shit for not using the search function and when they do, you give them more for posting in an older thread. Make up your mines.

The topic is still relevant either way. Peope still think that part of the car is aluminum. It isnt.
Instead of necro’ing a thread, create a new thread stating why you disagree with the previous stemware. That would draw in more people that would perhaps share your sentiment as opposed to bumping the yr old thread.

The, “that isn’t where GM says to jack” folks will flock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #62
motorhead

Quote:
Instead of necro’ing a thread, create a new thread stating why you disagree with the previous stemware. That would draw in more people that would perhaps share your sentiment as opposed to bumping the yr old thread.

The, “that isn’t where GM says to jack” folks will flock

Yeah right. If I start a new thread, the first reply will be from some jackwagon stating that this topic has been beat to death and to use the search function. Besides, this thread has the info I was trying to get back out to people about that part of the car not being aluminium. Why do it again? I would get condemned for that too. Why does it bug you so bad? Dont look at it if it does. That's what I do. It really isnt that big of a deal. It's still relevant. A necro to me is bringing something back up that has no current relevance. What is the point of a forum archiving threads if you're not suppose to post in them. They should lock them all and make them view only if they dont want you posting in them.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #63
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Yeah right. If I start a new thread, the first reply will be from some jackwagon stating that this topic has been beat to death and to use the search function. Besides, this thread has the info I was trying to get back out to people about that part of the car not being aluminium. Why do it again? I would get condemned for that too. Why does it bug you so bad? Dont look at it if it does. That's what I do. It really isnt that big of a deal. It's still relevant. A necro to me is bringing something back up that has no current relevance. What is the point of a forum archiving threads if you're not suppose to post in them. They should lock them all and make them view only if they dont want you posting in them.
Well stated. Never really thought about old threads this way before. Gives me a new take on it when someone does it.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #64
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:

I challenge the notion of relevance. This is less about relevance and more about preference.

We will have the OP and yourself on one side stating one thing about “steel”. We’ll have the other side of folks with crushed undercarriages on the other.

Whether the car has aluminum bits or not does not alleviate the core issue.

We’ll have the GM manual in the middle and it’s a endless fruitless endeavor. It will not inform anyone, it just causes people to dig in deeper.

ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #65
motorhead

Quote:
I challenge the notion of relevance. This is less about relevance and more about preference.

We will have the OP and yourself on one side stating one thing about “steel”. We’ll have the other side of folks with crushed undercarriages on the other.

Whether the car has aluminum bits or not does not alleviate the core issue.

We’ll have the GM manual in the middle and it’s a endless fruitless endeavor. It will not inform anyone, it just causes people to dig in deeper.

You are the only one digging deeper and on the verge of trolling at this point. You obviously dont understand. That's fine. Im done with you on this. Last post to you about it.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #66
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I get what you are saying, but the fact remains that that area is steel and is pretty stout. Many cars have a similar type support as that. I never had an issue jacking cars there.
My main point of bringing this back up was to correct the fact that many are still saying that area is aluminium evening going so far as to posting videos pointing that out. It isnt aluminum or soft.
As I mention on page one of this thread, I jacked my 04 GTO there for nine years before it crushed. This car, I use the pinch welds. Lift the front using two jacks to bring it up even and lift the rear from the axle pumpkin. Set it down on stands with slotted hockey pucks on the pinch welds.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #67
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Well I've fab blocks to jack from the pinch welds, but still have to put jack stands under the car and I use the area noted by the OP, My jack stands have thick urethane caps.

For the rear I jack steel area just inside of the pinch weld because my blocks are too big, and the rear is light so ain't worried, I place the stands on the steel cradle that holds the diff and rear suspension.

so there are jack points, but unless you are magic, you still need jack stand points..
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #68
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
As I mention on page one of this thread, I jacked my 04 GTO there for nine years before it crushed. This car, I use the pinch welds. Lift the front using two jacks to bring it up even and lift the rear from the axle pumpkin. Set it down on stands with slotted hockey pucks on the pinch welds.
Yep, definitely the preferred method. Not arguing that at all. I also wouldnt think twice about jacking it in that area with a wide base jack. Like I said above though, my main point was to let people know that piece isnt Aluminum. I still see people saying that it is.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #69
hotlap

Quote:
Yep, definitely the preferred method. Not arguing that at all. I also wouldnt think twice about jacking it in that area with a wide base jack. Like I said above though, my main point was to let people know that piece isnt Aluminum. I still see people saying that it is.

I put a piece of 1/4 plywood on that area to lift my ZL1. If the area is large enough it’s safe ti lift. Agree it’s not aluminum but it is thin.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #70
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Well I've fab blocks to jack from the pinch welds, but still have to put jack stands under the car and I use the area noted by the OP, My jack stands have thick urethane caps.

For the rear I jack steel area just inside of the pinch weld because my blocks are too big, and the rear is light so ain't worried, I place the stands on the steel cradle that holds the diff and rear suspension.

so there are jack points, but unless you are magic, you still need jack stand points..
I can lift the front from pinch welds and also set it down on stands on the pinch weld. There’s enough room to fit both - two slots on the rockers. Lift from the rear slots from both sides to keep it level and set it down on the front with slotted hockey pucks on the flat stand top. Then bring the rear up from the axle and set the pinch welds on stands with pucks. If I need the whole car up max height I do it in two lifts

Ronald Reagan -