Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #57
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
You need to find jac fabs thread on all the different part numbers etc. It is not a copy of the LFX at all. Do they have the same methods? Yes, but not even close to being a copy.
Yeah, it is. Look at this.....

1. Aluminum deep skirt block from the LFX mill. Check!

2. A forged steel crankshaft. Check!

3. High strength connecting rods with polymer coated pistons. Check!

4. Oil spray piston cooling. Check!

5. Variable Valve Timing. Same with LFX except for "Intermediate Park Feature".

7. 60 degree bank angle. Check!

9. Integrated exhaust manifolds inside the heads. Check!

10. DOHC 24 valve 3.6L displacement with direct injection. Check!

It's more similar to the LFX than the LT1 is to the old LS3 or L99, especially since the LGX block is "based" off the LFX "mill".
Attached Images

The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #58
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
Yeah, it is. Look at this.....

1. Aluminum deep skirt block from the LFX mill. Check!

2. A forged steel crankshaft. Check!

3. High strength connecting rods with polymer coated pistons. Check!

4. Oil spray piston cooling. Check!

5. Variable Valve Timing. Same with LFX except for "Intermediate Park Feature".

7. 60 degree bank angle. Check!

9. Integrated exhaust manifolds inside the heads. Check!

10. DOHC 24 valve 3.6L displacement with direct injection. Check!

It's more similar to the LFX than the LT1 is to the old LS3 or L99, especially since the LGX block is "based" off the LFX "mill".
It uses the same METHODS that were learned from the LFX, that does not mean that it is the same engine. Lots of the parts are completely different.

If you just want to argue semantics, then go for it. Far more things different in that small list than there are that are the same.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438242
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #59
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Ace01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #60
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace01 View Post
So what he is saying is...there IS a valve job in my future. This really sucks!

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #61
The_Driver
Banned

Quote:
It uses the same METHODS that were learned from the LFX, that does not mean that it is the same engine. Lots of the parts are completely different.

If you just want to argue semantics, then go for it. Far more things different in that small list than there are that are the same.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438242
Well, the major things like the block, 3.6L displacement, bore and stroke, 60* degree bank angle, DOHC 4-valve per cylinder heads, VVT and direct injection architecture is almost the same. Heck, we're just talking millimeters on the bore increase.

It also has 11.5:1 compression ratio (just like the LFX) which neatly dove tails right into your argument about these engines not needing premium fuel to run the best.

They do require premium to run at full capacity just like the old LFX. Sure, they'll run on 87 regular or whatever crap gas you can find, but the drivability will be lousy running on the low octane fuel tables and retarded spark timing and that's what this whole thing was about. The new LGX is no different than the LFX in this regard.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #62
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
So what he is saying is...there IS a valve job in my future. This really sucks!
I put 100k on my 2013 before I traded it in, and the valves didn't need a valve job, with regular cleaning via the CRC cleaner.. there's other brands out there as well including the GM brand upper cylinder cleaner...

You all are just panicking too much and making it far bigger of an issue than it really is...

It was manageable on the LLT engine from 2010-2011, it was manageable on the LFX engine from 2012 to 2015. It'll be manageable on the LGX.

just simply stay up on your maintainence

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #63
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
Well, the major things like the block, 3.6L displacement, bore and stroke, 60* degree bank angle, DOHC 4-valve per cylinder heads, VVT and direct injection architecture is almost the same. Heck, we're just talking millimeters on the bore increase.

It also has 11.5:1 compression ratio (just like the LFX) which neatly dove tails right into your argument about these engines not needing premium fuel to run the best.

They do require premium to run at full capacity just like the old LFX. Sure, they'll run on 87 regular or whatever crap gas you can find, but the drivability will be lousy running on the low octane fuel tables and retarded spark timing and that's what this whole thing was about. The new LGX is no different than the LFX in this regard.
So all 60 degree DOHC engines with VVT that have the same compression are the same? No.

As for the 3.6 displacement here is the actual size of the engines. Almost a 100cc separate the two.

LFX: 3564
LGX: 3649

Again, if you want to argue the semantics go ahead and continue. The engines share very little with each other and the actual parts are pretty different.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #64
The_Driver
Banned

Quote:
So all 60 degree DOHC engines with VVT that have the same compression are the same? No.

As for the 3.6 displacement here is the actual size of the engines. Almost a 100cc separate the two.

LFX: 3564
LGX: 3649

Again, if you want to argue the semantics go ahead and continue. The engines share very little with each other and the actual parts are pretty different.
Aren't we splitting hairs here? 100cc is not going to make one engine run fine on regular and the other to require premium to run at peak efficiency. These engines are similar enough to assume that whatever worked on the LFX, would probaby work on the LGX.

Your original argument stating that REGULAR 87 is all these engines ever need and running a higher grade fuel is a complete waste of money, is incorrect. Both have high compression, 11.5:1, and probably similar ECU programming values regarding the high and low octane fuel tables.

All of the major features and basic architecture between the two engines are practically the same. A few changes here and there to make interchange swaps a no go, but they are more similar than different except for the AFM feature and the very very slight bore increase.

Sure, the parts won't interchange directly, but that doesn't mean the two engines are not based off one another. The article states, right there in the first sentence, that the LGX block was borrowed from the LFX mill.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #65
bballr4567

Article also states what is all different. If you are insistent on them being the same, some be it.

Have a good one.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #66
cellsafemode

Well, got about 300 hundred miles in on the car since installing the catch can. Still nothing showing up on the gauge tube.

I'll report back in 1000 more miles or sooner if i see anything.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #67
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Well, got about 300 hundred miles in on the car since installing the catch can. Still nothing showing up on the gauge tube.

I'll report back in 1000 more miles or sooner if i see anything.
If nothing comes out of that side, I'd recommend tapping the other side... it's got the larger single hose and attaches to the inlet tube with a wide rubber end.

That's the side I noted oil from when I took off the tube to mess with the tb

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #68
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
If nothing comes out of that side, I'd recommend tapping the other side... it's got the larger single hose and attaches to the inlet tube with a wide rubber end.

That's the side I noted oil from when I took off the tube to mess with the tb
My intake is bone dry. I got a little bit of carbon buildup on the metal Throttle body - no oil residue.

The tube to the right that you're talking about seems awefully like the intake tube to the air pump that feeds the cats on cold starts.

I'd know soon for sure if the stupid service manual would go on sale.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #69
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
did you purchase the service manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
My intake is bone dry. I got a little bit of carbon buildup on the metal Throttle body - no oil residue.

The tube to the right that you're talking about seems awefully like the intake tube to the air pump that feeds the cats on cold starts.

I'd know soon for sure if the stupid service manual would go on sale.
and where can I get one?
thanks
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #70
cellsafemode

Service manual isn't on sale yet. helminc.com will sell it when it finally is released.