Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #57
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSS1LE View Post
That electric Camaro, if it comes to be, is definitely replacement for displacement. It will outperform the current ICE versions.
Some people say the sound of Ferrari’s V-12 from about 4500-7000 rpm is the most beautiful sound of any engine on earth. There are many Ferraris that outperform a Camaro SS.

There’s still no replacement for displacement.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #58
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I could do that theoretically, but one thing I find is that having multiple manual cars can be tricky due to every car having different clutch bite points.
Never found that to have been any problem at all. Neither did my wife. And we've had as many as four different MT cars in the driveway at the same time, four different makes.

Quote:
And heh, if it's supposed to be a toaster, there is less feeling involved and more financial calculations. EVs are good for drive it and forget it type of deal.
That must be where we differ. No way was I ever going to buy a car as a mindless transportation appliance. With any amount of money on the line, I've got to actively enjoy driving it, not merely tolerate it or suffer through the experience.

Quote:
... for personal use there are other factors to it. Yeah, manual enthusiasts all know that there aren't many objective reasons to drive one anymore, but emotions also play a part.
Exactly. And there's no need to make sacrifices on the subjective side even in the DD. Consider it part of maintaining the entertainment of it all.

Norm
Old 04-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #59
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
For me it’s also the exhaust note and rowing through the gears.
Rowing through the gears is already obsolete in the realm of supercars. Soon the exhaust note will be too, along with throwaway plastic bottles and single use plastic bags.

Instead, enormous torque and zero to 60 in 2.0 seconds will be the standard for a muscle car.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #60
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Rowing through the gears is already obsolete in the realm of supercars. Soon the exhaust note will be too, along with throwaway plastic bottles and single use plastic bags.

Instead, enormous torque and zero to 60 in 2.0 seconds will be the standard for a muscle car.
And hopefully these stupid disposable masks.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #61
CodeCody

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Electric cars will kill the street kings when even the common passenger vehicle can go 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Hell some SUVs are already doing that. I would get an electric Camaro. I just wouldn't replace my current one to get it.
CodeCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #62
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Never found that to have been any problem at all. Neither did my wife. And we've had as many as four different MT cars in the driveway at the same time, four different makes.

That must be where we differ. No way was I ever going to buy a car as a mindless transportation appliance. With any amount of money on the line, I've got to actively enjoy driving it, not merely tolerate it or suffer through the experience.

Exactly. And there's no need to make sacrifices on the subjective side even in the DD. Consider it part of maintaining the entertainment of it all.

Norm
I once tried my friend's 2013 Civic Si and the bite point on that car was really low, and it also has the rev hang where you have to wait half a second between shifts because the RPM won't drop immediately after you clutch in. When I hopped back into my own Camaro, it took me a little bit to get used to it again. I also hopped back and forth between my C7 and beater Accord for a little while. Takes me a few minutes to get used to.

There was another time where I travelled to Costa Rica and drove a 5-speed Suzuki Jimny for a week. When I came back to my RX-8, I started it up, buckled the car twice before finally stalling as the clutch on the RX-8 is a lot heavier compared to the Jimny.

I haven't had to deal with it on a regular basis so I don't really know if I can handle it, but from my limited experience, it sounds like it could be an issue, at least for me.

Again, all hypothetical. Just not financially sensible for me at the moment.

Quote:

Supercars are a different story as most of them aren't owned by enthusiasts. They are more treated as status symbols so the numbers matter, and as a lot of YouTube fail videos would show, a lot of their owners don't even know how to drive those things with an automatic/DCT, let alone a manual. I mean, you don't see a lot of supercars regular track days.

And why would throwaway bottles be obsolete? I don't support them but it's silly to think they will be obsolete. People sometimes need water on the go and forget to pack.

Finally, we see another 0-60 wanking on display here. Yes, 0-ticket/impound lot/jail in 2 seconds sounds fantastic. Most people can't even handle cars slower than that, now you want 2-second 0-60 car to be commonplace? Welp, I hope you won't be the first victim to some kid driving a super fast EV, losing control and bursting into difficult-to-extinguish flames...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeCody View Post
Electric cars will kill the street kings when even the common passenger vehicle can go 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Hell some SUVs are already doing that. I would get an electric Camaro. I just wouldn't replace my current one to get it.
A grandma will drive a ZL1 as slowly as her 99 Corolla. Performance numbers don't mean much in passenger cars. Efficiency does.

And again, I think our driver education and infrastructure needs to see a huge step-up if you wish fast cars to be commonplace. YouTube fail videos are all fun and games until you are the guy in that Silverado that got flipped over by that Hellcat Challenger...

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #63
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeCody View Post
Electric cars will kill the street kings when even the common passenger vehicle can go 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
Not a good enough reason. There's always been somebody faster than you, and this won't change that.

But it is a particularly tasty flavor of kool-aid for those who can't see past 0-60 times and such.

Norm
Old 04-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #64
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:

And yet, people my age who weren’t even born when the car was built are paying 6 figures for muscle cars with 7 second 0-60 times.

Gee, I wonder why
Old 04-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #65
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
At my age, I am blessed with owning the best Camaro ever made and it will be my last one.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #66
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Rowing through the gears is already obsolete in the realm of supercars. car.
Im sure , but I find it enjoyable.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #67
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like the Camaro is going to have to go to electric if it wants any chance of survival. This website will just have to make an extra sub section when it eventually happens.
Long live that sub section.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #68
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
Long live that sub section.
No, let that be their own forum.

The 6th Gen Camaro drinks dead dinosaurs. Long live THIS forum - about drinking dead dinosaurs!
Old 04-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #69
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I have owned a number of Corvettes and Camaros over the years and I totally get the thrill of rowing your own gears and listening to the sweet V8 soundtrack. I bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance a couple years ago to see what all the fuss is about. In my experience if your are a true muscle car fan then yes you will miss the vibration, sound, rowing your own gears, etc. however these performance electric cars are able to entertain in other ways.

For example, the instant torque you get from a performance EV is pretty remarkable and satisfying. I have never been thrown back in the seat of a car like my Tesla. The passing power is effortless, it really feels like you have an unfair advantage when on the street when your torque curve looks like a square wave. Good or bad, there is no drama either. The traction control is much more advanced with electric motors, you just plant your foot and you rocket forward. And a 300 mile charge costs about $5 in electricity. The Tesla M3P also has a fully customizable Track Mode with granular control of the stability control and front rear bias so you can drift if you want. Regen braking is also pretty cool once you get used to it. I rarely have to use the friction brakes on the street as the motors will bring you to a full stop with brake hold. Some guys say they actually appreciate the fact there is no exhaust noise since they can actually hear what the tires are doing on track.

I will surely miss a true ice based muscle car but lately we have so much crap tech that gets in the way. If we only had a choice between a Camaro with start stop V8 with part time V4 and tons of nannies or an less restrictive EV Camaro I know which one I am picking. Let’s hope GM gets it right.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #70
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I have owned a number of Corvettes and Camaros over the years and I totally get the thrill of rowing your own gears and listening to the sweet V8 soundtrack. I bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance a couple years ago to see what all the fuss is about. In my experience if your are a true muscle car fan then yes you will miss the vibration, sound, rowing your own gears, etc. however these performance electric cars are able to entertain in other ways.

For example, the instant torque you get from a performance EV is pretty remarkable and satisfying. I have never been thrown back in the seat of a car like my Tesla. The passing power is effortless, it really feels like you have an unfair advantage when on the street when your torque curve looks like a square wave. Good or bad, there is no drama either. The traction control is much more advanced with electric motors, you just plant your foot and you rocket forward. And a 300 mile charge costs about $5 in electricity. The Tesla M3P also has a fully customizable Track Mode with granular control of the stability control and front rear bias so you can drift if you want. Regen braking is also pretty cool once you get used to it. I rarely have to use the friction brakes on the street as the motors will bring you to a full stop with brake hold. Some guys say they actually appreciate the fact there is no exhaust noise since they can actually hear what the tires are doing on track.

I will surely miss a true ice based muscle car but lately we have so much crap tech that gets in the way. If we only had a choice between a Camaro with start stop V8 with part time V4 and tons of nannies or an less restrictive EV Camaro I know which one I am picking. Let’s hope GM gets it right.
That’s another good reason to get a manual - no DOD and our crap tech that gets in the way is easily defeatable with a $15 resistor