Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2023, 07:11 PM   #57
1supersport

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
Not here to judge, but you asked. As a guy 20 years older than you and an enthusiast all my life, I very much understand the effect cars can have and wanting your dream car right away etc. And I get that Camaros in any form any of us care about are going away soon, so there is some urgency to get one if you want a new one. Also, I have been very fortunate in life and recognize that, so don't think I'm preaching from on high. I'm just giving my 2 cents.

Having said that, if you are upside down on something and are buying something more expensive, you're going the wrong direction. I'm not sure what to tell you to do now, but the first thing I'd do is stop even thinking about spending any more money (on the car) on stuff that isn't already paid for. Focus all your extra money on paying that loan down so maybe, possibly, in a few years you won't be upside down. This car is massively harming your ability to build any wealth, unless you make a ton of money and oddly decided to finance 120% of the value of a new car. I know, YOLO and all that, but to me this is nothing short of insane.

As for market adjustments and added BS, those are not required. At all. Shop around some. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago from a dealer in Nebraska with a supplier discount (neighbor was a GM employee) and the current rebate for a total of $41,650 (1SS, moonroof, NPP exhaust, red calipers; sticker $43,680). Dealer had a $75 doc fee, and literally that was it (still have to pay sales taxes in Kansas, so that's not factored in since I pay that later at the DMV). It can be done. I wrote a check, because again I've been fortunate in life and am old enough to have a little money, so can't speak to the interest rate part of it, but point being, at least in the middle of the country, you do NOT have to pay any extras. Had I ordered it from my dealer in KC, they tack on PPF, Lo-jack (seriously guys? Lo-jack on a car with Onstar?), and a $700 doc fee so it would have been $4k more, but I chose to drive 200 miles or so and save that money. Mentioning this more for the folks that insist you 'have' to pay ADM etc., not the OP.

Anyway OP, it's a cool car, and one that likely won't lose a ton of value over time given they are stopping production entirely and forever, so that works in your favor. And I sincerely hope you do enjoy it and it's everything you want it to be. But while enjoying the car, see the financial part as an expensive lesson, and for your own sake maybe look into Dave Ramsey.
I appreciate your response. My dad told me the same thing after the fact about the added bs. I don’t live around my parents anymore and went off and made this purchase completely in my own terms with no advice on how to negotiate financing a car. I do make great money for my age working in tech but it is scary to now be in a good amount of debt, since I never was before. I’ve heard of Dave Ramsey too and seems like a really good guy to follow.
1supersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #58
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1supersport View Post
After much anticipation, and after leasing an LT1 from 2021, I finally got to finance a brand new 1SS. With interest rates being so high, does anyone think I’m completely insane for financing at 94k over 7 years on a car that’s $62k? I need feedback from other owners. It’s my dream car.
I think you posted you are 28yo. Obviously I don't know your financial situation, but I've got to think if it were good you wouldn't need to finance such a large amount. I understand the 1SS is your dream car, but it might be good to get some advice from someone you trust who is financially savvy - not just about this car, but about finances in general.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #59
1supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
A 2SS 1LE has all that matters in this list (even more), and would've cost $54K with the A10. Yeah, okay, an extra $1K for the sunroof, but that definitely isn't for everyone.
It was really the ground effects Recaro seats, and spectrum lighting that were the most hefty add on expenses. I’ll be a lot more relieved once the ground effects finally arrive and the dealership add them on for me. I’m suppose to have a whole body kit with a front splitter, side skirts, and rear diffusers, plus a carbon flash metallic wing. Hopefully I’ll have them by early May.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:28 PM   #60
1supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I think you posted you are 28yo. Obviously I don't know your financial situation, but I've got to think if it were good you wouldn't need to finance such a large amount. I understand the 1SS is your dream car, but it might be good to get some advice from someone you trust who is financially savvy - not just about this car, but about finances in general.
Yeah agreed. I make a good salary but I just didn’t have a lot saved, I only put down $2,500. I can be a little impulsive. My 2021 LT1 that I got brand new and was leasing was only $400 a month but I traded it in for this new Camaro because I’ve been wanting to own an SS.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:35 PM   #61
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Back then what did that car cost, $5000? Even with inflation, that's still a far cry from what vehicles cost today lol
I'll have you know that car cost $10K, the the trade in cost $5K when new, but I drove the Bageezus (and it was only 3yrs old, but it was a Ford- my only Ford) out of it and I'm surprised they took it on trade- LOL.

We all live and learn, sometimes its the hard way but we learn.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:55 PM   #62
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Yeah here’s one pic I just took. Looks like me and ventmaster have the same decals! I’ll post more pics eventually. I’m suppose to have a high wing spoiler but I’m waiting on it to get delivered to the dealership.
You have great taste 1supersport! The NPP exhaust should give you a gloss black "valance" in the back that will look good too.
Be sure to give us some more pics after the ground effects and rear wing install.
I was 28 when I got that '86 Z/28 and I never wrapped it around a tree(even though I deserved to a couple times). These new 'Maro's have a LOT more "GO" than that car and even though they also out handle and brake those old cars, be careful out there- that would be the only way this story could have a sad ending.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:14 PM   #63
1supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
You have great taste 1supersport! The NPP exhaust should give you a gloss black "valance" in the back that will look good too.
Be sure to give us some more pics after the ground effects and rear wing install.
I was 28 when I got that '86 Z/28 and I never wrapped it around a tree(even though I deserved to a couple times). These new 'Maro's have a LOT more "GO" than that car and even though they also out handle and brake those old cars, be careful out there- that would be the only way this story could have a sad ending.
Thank you! I’ll post more pics as soon as I get them installed. And yeah I’ll be very careful too, it sure is powerful.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:43 PM   #64
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
It was really the ground effects Recaro seats, and spectrum lighting that were the most hefty add on expenses. I’ll be a lot more relieved once the ground effects finally arrive and the dealership add them on for me. I’m suppose to have a whole body kit with a front splitter, side skirts, and rear diffusers, plus a carbon flash metallic wing. Hopefully I’ll have them by early May.
I see where arpad's coming from though. It is a nice car don't get me wrong but man, that price...

The 2SS 1LE includes the Recaro's and spectrum lighting with included front splitter, I'm sure at the time they would have allowed the ground effects to be added on to it as well. It has a good number of other items that are the same.

But as others have said, it is your car. As long as you're happy with it
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:29 PM   #65
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I see where arpad's coming from though. It is a nice car don't get me wrong but man, that price...

The 2SS 1LE includes the Recaro's and spectrum lighting with included front splitter, I'm sure at the time they would have allowed the ground effects to be added on to it as well. It has a good number of other items that are the same.

But as others have said, it is your car. As long as you're happy with it
Yeah, exactly. But ("and that's a big but(t)" ), at the end of the day it's a great car with a lot of valuable extras, and by now you 1supersport know all too well it wasn't the most prudent financial decision, so let's not harp on that any longer.

It might even make you feel a little better when I admit to buying a 2LT first, and then, realizing how wrong a choice it was, I went back to the dealer and took a $9K bath on the trade (private sale didn't work out)... but I now have the 2SS I really wanted, she's all paid off and properly modded

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:28 PM   #66
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
1SS , enjoy your car first of all , a suggestion, do your diligence to make extra payment's if you can every or every other month. And you say your making good money, another suggestion save some money, does the Company you work for offer a 401k . Enjoy your car .