Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #57
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #58
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post

Time to celebrate!!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #59
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Please tell me you're a "Catcher in the Rye" fan, or we can't be internet friends anymore.
I'm gonna need this question answered, k?
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #60
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
I'm gonna need this question answered, k?
Honestly, I've never read it. I am aware the main character's name is Holden. I was more thinking along the lines of Holden of Australia.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #61
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Honestly, I've never read it. I am aware the main character's name is Holden. I was more thinking along the lines of Holden of Australia.
That was my fear... We can't be internet friends no more.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #62
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Just so I have this correct : The I4 & V6 M6 cars and all V8 models get larger half shafts , and a 225mm ring gear . Not the smaller of the two new diffs using a 200mm ring gear? The I4 M6 has V8 rear diff with 327 ring gear?

I'm not 100% certain of the SS parts, the axles have different part numbers than the manual 2.0 or 3.6 axles. I THINK the SS has an electronic LSD, from what I've read? I know the manual 2.0 and 3.6 has a normal LSD. The SS has a diff cooler where as the 2.0 and 3.6 diff does not have a cooler, (but I SPECULATE the v6 1LE may have a diff cooler, could possible share the exact same diff as the SS? Speculation of course)...

Just to keep it simple, the m6 2.0 and 3.6 diff and axles are larger than the a8, and are a direct swap. I'm guessing the SS stuff will swap in also, just need corresponding diff and axles.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:15 AM   #63
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
ELSD is only on the ZL1 and up models... Fairly certain the SS just has a 'normal dumb' diff.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #64
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
The V8 1LE also gets the ELSD, and, you are correct,.. The v6 1LE does have a rear diff cooler, AND its a 327 gear ratio. I know your LSD housing was a larger unit, but I wonder if it was just because of the LSD. I can not find documentation anywhere saying that the M6 I4 has the larger 225 mm ring gear. But it is documented that the M6 V6 does in fact get the 225mm ring gear. So with what you are saying Jason@ , the M6 I4 must also have the 225mm ring gear.
Seems to be the same part number for the m6 i4 diff as the m6 v6 according to stuff online.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #65
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
The V8 1LE also gets the ELSD, and, you are correct,.. The v6 1LE does have a rear diff cooler, AND its a 327 gear ratio. I know your LSD housing was a larger unit, but I wonder if it was just because of the LSD. I can not find documentation anywhere saying that the M6 I4 has the larger 225 mm ring gear. But it is documented that the M6 V6 does in fact get the 225mm ring gear. So with what you are saying Jason@ , the M6 I4 must also have the 225mm ring gear.
My bad, forgot about the 1LE...
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #66
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Well that is bad asss!
So what you basically proved here, with out maybe knowing at the time, is pretty much ANY 6th gen diff will physically interchange with ANY 6th gen configuration.
ex: 277, 327, 383, 410 (<--in the works, and a second un-named ratio)

Things like tuning, plugging a couple of cooler ports, -elsd should OFC be considered.

Theoretically, yes, if a guy had all the correct matching parts, anything would be possible.

But any swap other than what's been documented may require more parts. For instance, I was able to swap my a8 diff pinion flange onto the m6 diff and not have to change the driveshaft. Not sure if that would still be true on an SS, zl1 or 1le diff.

I would not consider an elsd diff without knowing how it's controlled, and how/if I can control it if it's swapped into a car that didn't have it.

Until more gear sets are available, I say stick with the 3.27 ratio for an auto. The lower gears (especially first gear) is just too low already, and slapping a 3.73 diff would make first and possibly second basically unusable. Which is why I didn't opt for the SS diff swap. I don't r even know if I'd swap the 3.73 into a manual 2.0/3.6 car, as even the tr3160 first gear is pretty low already... If someone came out with a 3.42 or 3.55 MAYBE, but still pushing it.

For drag racing the ratio can be fudged with tire size. With the height of my ghetto race wheels on the rear, it basically fudges my 3.27 ratio to something around a 3.64... Which may not even be optimal.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #67
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@ View Post
Theoretically, yes, if a guy had all the correct matching parts, anything would be possible.

But any swap other than what's been documented may require more parts. For instance, I was able to swap my a8 diff pinion flange onto the m6 diff and not have to change the driveshaft. Not sure if that would still be true on an SS, zl1 or 1le diff.

I would not consider an elsd diff without knowing how it's controlled, and how/if I can control it if it's swapped into a car that didn't have it.

Until more gear sets are available, I say stick with the 3.27 ratio for an auto. The lower gears (especially first gear) is just too low already, and slapping a 3.73 diff would make first and possibly second basically unusable. Which is why I didn't opt for the SS diff swap. I don't r even know if I'd swap the 3.73 into a manual 2.0/3.6 car, as even the tr3160 first gear is pretty low already... If someone came out with a 3.42 or 3.55 MAYBE, but still pushing it.

For drag racing the ratio can be fudged with tire size. With the height of my ghetto race wheels on the rear, it basically fudges my 3.27 ratio to something around a 3.64... Which may not even be optimal.

Ideally, in drag racing, you'd want to just kiss the rev limiter in your 1 to 1 gear (4th in an M6 car) at the end of the 1320. There are ways to figure out what gear would be optimal to accomplish that goal with whatever tire you may be using. Remember that larger diameter tires will need a numerically higher gear ratio to maintain acceleration. Personally, I'd put a 4.10 in my M6 Camaro if one was available. I'd also want to run a 28 inch tall tire then as well. Heck, I'd run a 4.56 gear if I could find one!
Old 10-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #68
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
[QUOTE=Jason@;9753933]The deed is done! I didn't have the time to do it myself with the new baby afoot, so I took everything to the local shop I take my cars to when I don't want to do something myself, or don't have time. I threw the axles and differential in the trunk and dropped it off at 8am this morning, not sure when they started it, but they called me at about 1:30 and said it was done. I asked one of the techs to take some pictures for you guys and got a couple worth sharing.

Diff out, not sure which axles are in...

This shows the diff out still, but the new axles are installed

Here is the new diff (left) shown next to the wimpy stock diff (right).

New diff and axles installed.

I can't say that I was the first one to do this swap. The ZZP boys beat me to it. I figured based on the part numbers in the Gm parts diagrams that all that was needed was the differential and axles, which if any of you have contemplated doing this type of swap in a 5th gen v6 cars, you'd know you'd also need to swap the hubs and sometimes the driveshaft, or the rear half of it, and sometimes the stock driveshaft would work fine. GM made it easy this time for us.

The only extra step needed (Which I found out before hand thanks to the ZZP boys), is that you need to swap the pinion flange from the old stock rear end onto the new rear end for the stock drive shaft to bolt up. Aside from that, it's a straight up bolt in.

You are welcome. That was my project. LOL
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #69
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
You are welcome. That was my project. LOL
Yeah yeah, took me almost a year of looking/searching off and on to finally find a diff at a junkyard. Someone had to be first to do it. Lucky you.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-30-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #70
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
[QUOTE=Jason@;9957483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post

Yeah yeah, took me almost a year of looking/searching off and on to finally find a diff at a junkyard. Someone had to be first to do it. Lucky you.
I got two units form bone yards that were supposed to be manuals that came from autos. I finally said piss on it and ordered one from a dealer.
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote