Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #57
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Lol I used to think like you. My last two vettes were sticks. My current Trans am is a 6 speed. I'm 32 and been driving stick for almost 17 years now. I'm pretty confident your not a better driver then me. That being said, if your getting a V6 or an SS and plan basic mods go with the stick. You need it, to add to the experience. If your buying a 650hp Camaro and plan on moding the stick is a poor choice in my opinion. My current CTSV is making a lot of power through the dated auto and it's a blast to drive. There is a reason sticks are phasing out. The tech crowd (younger kids) all talk about the paddles now like kids used to brag and the sticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
The "cool factor" of paddle shifters will wear out almost instantaneously. It will not outlast the "cool factor" of a physical shifter.

Manuals are inherently harder to drive. Most people that will purchase a 6th Gen Camaro will purchase an automatic transmission strictly because they don't know how to drive a manual transmission. Most people in America these days cannot, at least people in my generation and younger.

The automatic will win at the drag strip vs the manual. Automatics are an order of magnitude easier to drive. The theoretical performance of the manual will always be higher (and that's why the sticks almost always have the #1 spot with spots #2-20 being taken my autos) since they will always be more efficient. The 8L90 will be a parasitic drag, even more than the 6L80 I'm betting. I bet those extra gears come at an efficiency cost. I doubt it'll get better mileage than a manual. Even with that those extra gears because it just takes more engine to turn them. There is just something to be said about the weight and efficiency.

I'm tired of the TR6060. I was hoping for a 7 speed manual. I'm really hoping GM will work out some of the bugs and improve the synchros. Still, I will get a manual if I purchase a 6th Gen. I will get a manual because these cars should be manuals. No one ever needs to justify buying a manual. Automatics come with a million excuses. If your outward answer for the automatic purchase is "track times and cruising" but the real excuse is you're not proficient at driving a manual, I suggest throwing yourself to the wolves and buying the manual. That's what I did.

People purchasing a dedicated quarter mile track car should buy the automatic. Everyone else that has two functioning arms and legs should buy a manual.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #58
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1since93 View Post
It's got nothing to do with "cool". The lag between the moment you pull the lever to the completion of shift on the 8L90 is horrendous. Go test it for yourself.
GMs manual transmissions are recommended for the road course, as per Tague Juechter, because the don't overheat. The 8L90, well.............
If there was a greater lag time in the auto than the manual, the manual would be faster. Not to mention, the speed at which the auto shifts is one of the things adjusted by the mode selector. Put it in "Tour" and it shifts gently for smooth acceleration. Once you get to track mode, it shifts like a beast. And if I'm not mistaken, in the new SS, you can even customize it in track mode.

Even the 6L50 in my 2011 V6 shifts much faster than you can with a manual, and it's not adjustable without a tune. There is just now way the 8L90 is that slow.

But since you suggested it, I may go try them both in the 'vette. I will definitely have to test drive one anyway before I buy the Camaro just to be sure.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #59
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
I think I'm back squarely in the manual camp. I made the mistake of buying a auto GTO a few years back and no matter what I did to it, I was still bored. I guess the only thing that will make me reconsider the A8 is if it is substantially faster versus the M6.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #60
jai302

Drives: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I'm torn, but i'll likely go manual - when i test drove two ZL1, one Auto, one Man - auto did nothing for me, the manual put a huge smile on my face.
I get what you mean! There's nothing like having a third pedal to put a smile on your face while driving! Unfortunately for me the only manual action I'll be getting for the time being is the FWD-based quattro Audi TT and it's getting old too. Can't wait to drive the new SS with a stick.

Gone but not forgotten: Ford Mustang 5.0 w/ Roush Axle Backs & CAI, BMW E89 z4, Lexus RX 350, Lexus LX 470
jai302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #61
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I'm torn, but i'll likely go manual - when i test drove two ZL1, one Auto, one Man - auto did nothing for me, the manual put a huge smile on my face.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^*
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sure you can also put a huge smile in your face with other things from CO
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #62
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jai302 View Post
I get what you mean! There's nothing like having a third pedal to put a smile on your face while driving! Unfortunately for me the only manual action I'll be getting for the time being is the FWD-based quattro Audi TT and it's getting old too. Can't wait to drive the new SS with a stick.
Danm , I want to know What You Do , and How you do it ?

Will Smith
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #63
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^*
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sure you can also put a huge smile in your face with other things from CO
Ha...but no, I don't partake.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #64
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
Lol I used to think like you. My last two vettes were sticks. My current Trans am is a 6 speed. I'm 32 and been driving stick for almost 17 years now. I'm pretty confident your not a better driver then me. That being said, if your getting a V6 or an SS and plan basic mods go with the stick. You need it, to add to the experience. If your buying a 650hp Camaro and plan on moding the stick is a poor choice in my opinion. My current CTSV is making a lot of power through the dated auto and it's a blast to drive. There is a reason sticks are phasing out. The tech crowd (younger kids) all talk about the paddles now like kids used to brag and the sticks.
Sticks are phasing out for the same reason phone calls are phasing out vs text messaging - people want the easiest route possible. People today are lazier than ever, and young generations have very little to offer in the way of skill. We are a society dependent on technology. Vehicles are a means of conveyance. Most people hate driving. It is an annoyance. People want to just get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible, and as fuel prices, insurance rates and traffic increases across the board it'll only get worse.

People who purchase cars like these are far more likely to enjoy driving than people who buy, say, a Prius. I'd make a wager that most Prius owners dislike driving. I'd also make a wager that people that purchase vehicles with manual transmissions enjoy driving more than people that purchase automatic transmissions. They're probably handier with vehicle maintenance and repair as well.

I live in a very highly populated area. Fuel prices are well above the national average, here. Road conditions are horrific. I used to think an automatic would make things easier for that reason. The truth is, there is something to be said with the whole "one with the car" thing and that relationship not only makes the road conditions and driving costs more bearable, but more enjoyable. You sound like you're becoming jaded and losing enthusiasm for driving.

You're*** Drives me nuts.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #65
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I think tho we can all agree that no matter what transmission we get...we're going to be getting a kickass car!
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #66
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Sticks are phasing out for the same reason phone calls are phasing out vs text messaging - people want the easiest route possible. Vehicles are a means of conveyance. Most people hate driving. It is an annoyance. People want to just get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible, and as fuel prices, insurance rates and traffic increases across the board it'll only get worse.

People who purchase cars like these are far more likely to enjoy driving than people who buy, say, a Prius. I'd make a wager that most Prius owners dislike driving. I'd also make a wager that people that purchase vehicles with manual transmissions enjoy driving more than people that purchase automatic transmissions. They're probably handier with vehicle maintenance and repair as well.

I live in a very highly populated area. Fuel prices are well above the national average, here. Road conditions are horrific. I used to think an automatic would make things easier for that reason. The truth is, there is something to be said with the whole "one with the car" thing and that relationship not only makes the road conditions and driving costs more bearable, but more enjoyable. You sound like you're becoming jaded and losing enthusiasm for driving.
I live in NYC, and None of that has anything to do with it. Technology has made it so it's a disadvantage to drive a stick now. People used to only buy sticks because it was the faster car. Not anymore, people now do it to either prove masculinity or they enjoy rowing the gears. I can appreciate the latter. I do enjoy driving my 6 speed but it is somewhat comical rowing my gears in my bolt on WS6. Then getting in my auto CTSV that runs low 11's. This is a debate that can go on forever. And I'm not really partial to either side. I just laughed at your comment because you made it seem like the only people who would buy an auto is someone who can't drive stick or is an old lazy guy. The new Z runs almost half a second faster in the auto. Let that sink in. Like I said for an SS or a mediocre performing car it's not big deal. But when your really looking to go fast the auto is where it's at. 80% sure my Z Will be an auto.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #67
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
In all other situations, a manual is superior. Actual control and instant response is only possible with a manual, and no matter what "manual mode" you use on an automatic the computer is always in charge, not you.
This. As awesome as the transmission is in my Gen5, it's still easy to catch it flat footed. Push the pedal and the car suddenly stalls while the transmission tries to get from third back down to first.

I suppose I could drive everywhere using the paddles but it's still not natural to me. Especially since the car can still make gearing decisions without you, preventing you from really learning the car. i.e. Easy to learn accelerating from 1st. Not so easy to learn constant acceleration/braking.

With a true manual the car will make you very aware if you're not in the right gear at the moment. Gearing quickly becomes second nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Manual [...] because the wife cant drive it
Unfortunately, that's why I've got an Auto and will probably stay driving an Auto with my next Camaro or 'Vette. She just doesn't want to learn a manual! And if you think she's going to be okay with not driving the high performance car...
Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #68
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
I drive a manual and live in southern California. So as you coild imagine I sit in alot of bumper to bumper traffic. I hear alot of complaints from people who do not drive manual about how horrible driving in traffic must be, but have never heard a manual driver complain and especially not regreat the decision of buying manual due to the difficulty/annoyance of traffic.
frankly I would hate sitting in traffic in an auto and would probably fall asleep. There are many reasons I drive a manual, and sitting in traffic is near the top of the list.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #69
99z

Drives: 1999 z28 Auto T-top
After spending some time researching the 8L90 8-speed and how well its working out in the corvette I'm leaning towards the auto. It's actually not going to cost you overall performance to go with a Auto! Plus it sounds like it's good for about 650 HP stock.

I have a lot of respect for the guys that want to Bang gears for them self and I get why. I know it Can and usually is a more enjoyable experience when your out for a aggressive cruise. But as a daily driver the 8-speed seems like the best choice for my lifestyle.

If anyone is on the Fence you may want to wait till you can test drive both and see what feels right for you.
99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:53 AM   #70
ferrarimanf355

Drives: 2011 Fiat 500 Sport... shut up...
Send a message via AIM to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via MSN to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via Yahoo to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via Skype™ to ferrarimanf355
Honestly, I can't drive stick, so automatic it is by default.

I'm glad as hell that it's an 8-speed like in the Challenger, it should provide a good balance between acceleration, top speed and efficiency regardless of engine. GM did the right thing here.