Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #6805
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

As long as Corvettes continue to progress, the 20 C8 Z51 will just be another used car.

What we’ve seen of the C8 this far is equivalent to the 2016 SS. Attention getting at that moment but quickly eclipsed. Some wicked Corvette’s are coming.
The CA6 SS has not been eclipsed in my book. It is an almost perfect compromise. It is a somewhat affordable all around performance car that gets mid 30s mpg on the highway.. More is not always more or any more fun. It is an individual judgement call.

The C8 is very, very cool. Just not for me. I could only almost afford one anyway, especially now.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #6806
Fraxum

I just read on Motor Trend the C8 has the builtin Chevy Bog when you hook. Yikes!

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...acing-nitrous/
Old 03-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #6807
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The CA6 SS has not been eclipsed in my book. It is an almost perfect compromise. It is a somewhat affordable all around performance car that gets mid 30s mpg on the highway.. More is not always more or any more fun. It is an individual judgement call.

The C8 is very, very cool. Just not for me. I could only almost afford one anyway, especially now.
I was referring to how the SS never got another review after the SS 1LE came out.

The SS is an amazingly capable car. Fully track capable and runs 12.0 flat in the 1/4 with an automatic. All for $37k!

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #6808
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think we are getting a bit ahead. I highly doubt any of these will be a collectible. I also highly doubt they will hold significant value over the 2021 and subsequent MYs. But, 10 or 20 years from now, a 2020 MIGHT be the preferred year because they will have less numbers. And 2021 might be a less sought after MY because there will be more than any of the other years. I someone going to pay more for a 2020? I don't know. But if a 2020 and a 2021 are side by side with similar mileage and similar price then I would bet that a person will take the 2020. Why? Because it is the first year of the ME which is a major design change AND because now there will be much less of them than other MYs.

So maybe I used the wrong language. Or who knows, maybe it will fetch much more money. But I bet for sure it will be more desirable. Or not. I don't know. Maybe just to me. I personally want a 2020. I do not want mine to be a 2021. The price will be the same. But I jumped on this and plopped down a $5K deposit because I wanted the first MY. Not the second. I am sure there are many others who feel that way. And I am sure in years to come there will be many who will feel the same way.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #6809
Fraxum

Quote:
I was referring to how the SS never got another review after the SS 1LE came out.

The SS is an amazingly capable car. Fully track capable and runs 12.0 flat in the 1/4 with an automatic. All for $37k!
i see. Agreed and why didn't C&D ever test the SS on the Lightning Lap?
Old 03-20-2020, 02:35 AM   #6810
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I think condition, options and mileage will drive collectible price, not which year.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #6811
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Betting on cars being collectors' items in the future is a tough bet. Many of us don't have the 40 years or so of runway needed. Are there enough 12-21 year-olds that will see the 2020 C8 as their poster car or car of their dreams. That has driven a bit of the muscle car mania in the recent years. Either the now older and wealthier ~65 year old sees his dream car or a car that was owned in their youth and now the longing and dollars line up again to drive the collectible stature of the car.

It is my guess that the 2020 C8 will likely not be a collectible item. There are not going to be any of the things that make a car more collectible. There will not be a 427 Cu In fuelee option. There isn't going to be a 4 on the floor option. There isn't going to be an A/C delete option or A/C add option. Each C8 will have a LT2 engine with an 8 speed DCT. Each will have A/C and XX other options. I personally don't think the type of seats and more safety features will make a car more or less collectible.

That's my guess. I don't have the runway to make the bet, even if I wanted to.
That's the best outlook on it.

Part of the reason some of the oldschool cars have gained so much value is exactly like you said, its the 60+ year olds buying cars they had/sought after in their youth. Cars were literally part of lifestyle/culture back then. Today they are appliances to the younger generations.

But the main thing you hit the nail on the head was, you can't order options a la carte anymore. You can't pull strings to get special stuff done. you are not going to build a car that's one of 24 in a certain color with AC and option A B or C.

My old man ordered a brand new 442 W-30 in 1969. Picked it up at the Olds factory in MI. He was able to order in a color that was not available on the 442 or even the cutlass. That kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #6812
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I think we are getting a bit ahead. I highly doubt any of these will be a collectible. I also highly doubt they will hold significant value over the 2021 and subsequent MYs. But, 10 or 20 years from now, a 2020 MIGHT be the preferred year because they will have less numbers. And 2021 might be a less sought after MY because there will be more than any of the other years. I someone going to pay more for a 2020? I don't know. But if a 2020 and a 2021 are side by side with similar mileage and similar price then I would bet that a person will take the 2020. Why? Because it is the first year of the ME which is a major design change AND because now there will be much less of them than other MYs.

So maybe I used the wrong language. Or who knows, maybe it will fetch much more money. But I bet for sure it will be more desirable. Or not. I don't know. Maybe just to me. I personally want a 2020. I do not want mine to be a 2021. The price will be the same. But I jumped on this and plopped down a $5K deposit because I wanted the first MY. Not the second. I am sure there are many others who feel that way. And I am sure in years to come there will be many who will feel the same way.
I think you are dead ass wrong here. If we aren't talking collectibility then who in their right mind would take the older car and more people don't want the first model year than do as they usually have bugs that need worked out.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #6813
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Just from a consumer perspective and not looking at type of car, if I had 2 years of a car to choose from 1 being the 1st model year or 2 being the 2nd model year i would go with the 2nd year. I never buy the 1st year of a car (update that I did once with my wife's 200 but I took a 200k bumper to bumper extended warranty) and it did pay off when I had to replace the radio.
1998 Monte Carlo SS
1980 Cutlass Supreme 403
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #6814
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
I just read on Motor Trend the C8 has the builtin Chevy Bog when you hook. Yikes!

Oh yeah @Blaq. Negative DA, tailwind, shop car, experienced driver, DRs and skinnys and still no 10. Not going to get much better conditions than that. Even though conditions don't effect Chevys so they will probably run faster on a 90 degree day in Colorado with a head wind on stock tires.

Disclaimer: I love the C8 and Chevy, just need to prove another point to Mr. Whole. Just came up with a new name for him even.

Edit: someone please please quote me so he can see this!
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #6815
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I think you are dead ass wrong here. If we aren't talking collectibility then who in their right mind would take the older car and more people don't want the first model year than do as they usually have bugs that need worked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Just from a consumer perspective and not looking at type of car, if I had 2 years of a car to choose from 1 being the 1st model year or 2 being the 2nd model year i would go with the 2nd year. I never buy the 1st year of a car (update that I did once with my wife's 200 but I took a 200k bumper to bumper extended warranty) and it did pay off when I had to replace the radio.
Both of these exactly
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #6816
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Exactly - and the 2021s, 2022s will also all be exactly the same. It's a new Corvette, drive the wheels off it!
I don't think you see what I'm saying. I'm not saying that there are any differences between the two cars. I'm saying that 2020s are already going to have lower production numbers than was originally planned due to the strike. Now there will be even further delays which means even lower production numbers. The 2021s will have much higher numbers than what was originally planned and will be in more abundance. Rarity increases value. Therefore of all the years the C8s will be available, provided everything from here out goes as planned, 2021 C8s will have much higher units than any of the other years and will therefore have less value. The 2020s might have a higher value because they will be scarce and a 1st year of a new design. I'm not talking about some Joe who just wants to drive a C8. That kind of person will just take the best deal he can get. But someone looking for something rare or rarer will look for a 2020. It would be more desirable even if it doesn't fetch any more money. But whatever. Moving on.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #6817
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

Quote:

Cars like the 6th Gen SS are much more fun to drive around because you get a lot more good races. There is always a GT, SRT8, etc that will try to run you. I think they represent the max you can get out of a car.
Quote:

Where did you read that? I can't find it in the link.

I assume they do this to keep the car from going off track.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #6818
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Where did you read that? I can't find it in the link. I assume they do this to keep the car from going off track.
"If the car dead hooked, it seemed to close the throttle body on the shift between first and second gear, so we dialed in a little tire spin to keep it from doing that," explained Carlyle.

The straight line bog has never been about stability control. It (torque management induced bog) has always been about protecting the drivetrain.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote