Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #631
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Disagree all you want, facts are facts.

Try thinking - outside - the box.

I've also pulled consistent 1.90 60's on 225 wide all seasons. If you learn to launch the car correctly it will work fine.

I'd tell you tire width isn't all that important and compound is what matters (narrower tires, more pressure per square inch) but heads may explode. I'm also referring to drag racing only, not track times.
I'm thinking outside the box here and before it goes off the rails let me just clarify what I'm stating.

On factory tires the LT1 comes with is 245s and most likely no track launch control
The SS has 275 and a very sophisticated launch system. LT1.. not going to happen unless the guy in the SS is just sleeping at the light.. But that is OK the LT1 model is a blank slate to do with what you want.. Just enjoy it or mods.

FYI: My comments are base on everything stock.. I'm not talking about putting different compound tires or slicks.. that's a conversation for another day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
GM PR department called.....something about a job offer. You nailed it.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-16-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #632
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
In my world, we call that a wet dream.

Who cares if it is "track certified"?
Are Demons and Hellcats "track certified"?
But they sure are selling the crap out of them, huh?

As far as "pay to play", why can't I pay for the LT4 motor in a lighter body?
Why should I pay for a bunch of junk I do not want on an SS or ZL?

What I'm trying to say is if a full track car for twisties is your gig, that's cool! No judging. But, some of us like our track to end @ 1320 ft and we have a totally different set of items needed. A car like the LT1 is a start.
How fast could you make that LT1 before losing the factory warranty? I know a few people that take straight line performance very seriously and not one of them would consider that Camaro . They built much faster cars with less money invested. The talk about this LT1 being for drag racing is silly. Much better starting points already available for much less money.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #633
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
How fast could you make that LT1 before losing the factory warranty? I know a few people that take straight line performance very seriously and not one of them would consider that Camaro . They built much faster cars with less money invested. The talk about this LT1 being for drag racing is silly. Much better starting points already available for much less money.
Such as?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #634
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Such as?
You could start with a 93 Malibu and really nice Chevy crate engine that would easily beat that LT1 on a drag strip. May be I’m missing the point on what people consider fast at a drag strip nowadays.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #635
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Cool..
Yes just traded in my 14 Camaro for a 19 ss
Attached Images

orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #636
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis66 View Post
Yes just traded in my 14 Camaro for a 19 ss
Regardless of what front end is your favorite the performance going from the GEN5 to the GEN6 is incredible.. I owned a 2011 SS and I was shocked the first time I drove the GEN6 SS.

PS: Congrats on the new ride.. Red with black strips looks good!

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-16-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #637
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
I'm thinking outside the box here and before it goes off the rails let me just clarify what I'm stating.

On factory tires the LT1 comes with is 245s and most likely no track launch control
The SS has 275 and a very sophisticated launch system. LT1.. not going to happen unless the guy in the SS is just sleeping at the light.. But that is OK the LT1 model is a blank slate to do with what you want.. Just enjoy it or mods.

FYI: My comments are base on everything stock.. I'm not talking about putting different compound tires or slicks.. that's a conversation for another day...

Launch control is going to help that person who wants to turn it on and stab the gas and go. It doesn't increase the traction of the car using it vs. not using it, it just makes it easier to get closer to an ideal launch. I still stand by my view that the LT1 should pull better times with practice and will certainly be quicker from a roll. But yes, it will take more skill to get that better time from a stop.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #638
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Launch control is going to help that person who wants to turn it on and stab the gas and go. It doesn't increase the traction of the car using it vs. not using it, it just makes it easier to get closer to an ideal launch. I still stand by my view that the LT1 should pull better times with practice and will certainly be quicker from a roll. But yes, it will take more skill to get that better time from a stop.
Let's keep it simple and not start adding, from a roll, if it's cloudy and if my mom flags the race....LOL

All this topic comes from you thinking the LT1 has the advantage over or equal to a SS even with smaller rear tires and no track launch control... Get one and let me know how that works for you. Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing some feedback on the forum when someone buys the first one.. Keep us posted.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #639
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
LT1

We don't need an LT1 1LE if you ask me, we already have that track package on every trim level.

I'll throw some more pictures out if it helps.
Attached Images

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #640
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Here is some more 2020 Camaro photos
Attached Images

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #641
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
You could start with a 93 Malibu and really nice Chevy crate engine that would easily beat that LT1 on a drag strip. May be I’m missing the point on what people consider fast at a drag strip nowadays.
Call GM and have them make some first...

Or are you talking early 80's where the whole car has to be rebuilt because it's worn out?
Or, should I get one of those later model fwd pos's and put a crate 3.1 V6 in it?

Until then, there aren't too many modern rwd cars being made any more, and if you want one, you're stuck with Corvette or a Camaro.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #642
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Track Certified means if you break at the track GM doesn't care so it's covered under warranty.. This is the reason for all the extra cooling. The SS and ZL1 is designed for track uses and GM backs that with a 5-year drivetrain warranty which I think it's damn cool. That is in a straight line or twisties by the way.

That's all really cool, but you don't need a rear end or manual tranny cooler to drive 1320 ft at a time. Oil cooler.... Maybe it would be nice, but not mandatory. The track use you speak of is a lap track. And you *should have * all that stuff. I don't understand why people think that's the ONLY thing that is important to every buyer.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #643
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
That's all really cool, but you don't need a rear end or manual tranny cooler to drive 1320 ft at a time. Oil cooler.... Maybe it would be nice, but not mandatory. The track use you speak of is a lap track. And you *should have * all that stuff. I don't understand why people think that's the ONLY thing that is important to every buyer.
Well, my 2017 not only has a lap counter it has a 0-60, 1/4 mile timer, and 0-100-0 timer. GM put them there because they built the car to be used in all types of racing. They also put their stamp on it that they will fix it if I break it. All the information I've read on the SS and ZL1 was that not only was it built to do all the above but they put the hardware in place so that it's covered for the next 5 years! So while you might not think it necessary you have to remember that it is there to protect hardware at the track for the next 5 years or 60,000 miles of use. How many track cars do you know of that give you that type of warranty? And While you might not think you need the additional coolers here is a little video of Jeff Lutz from Street Outlaws that made over 50 passes in one day and talks about how the car worked flawless and maintained it time....Why you ask?, because GM put the hardware in place to keep it cool so you can. So if you don't want all the coolers or care about a track warranty, it's a easy fix buy the LT1. It's going to be a nice street car with great power at a economical price

FYI: Ford has a track Mustang call the GT350R, I don't think you will find they let you opt out of coolers or hardware to save money.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #644
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Regardless of what front end is your favorite the performance going from the GEN5 to the GEN6 is incredible.. I owned a 2011 SS and I was shocked the first time I drove the GEN6 SS.

PS: Congrats on the new ride.. Red with black strips looks good!
Thank you ..it's actually crush orange..it really looks red next to my fury orange mustang
Attached Images

orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote