#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 03-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #6357
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'd downsize the engine to a V6 & use the electric powertrain to supplement it in tow/haul mode. If you can get 50 miles of pure EV driving, you could use a fraction of that power as a booster for a lot longer.

And I'd integrate the electric motors into the transmission like in the Volt (as well as other hybrids) rather than using hub motors or otherwise driving the front & rear axles differently. Probably a more versatile system, and in being a high-capacity Voltec powertrain it would probably easier to develop than some other completely new system.
That is basically what the old hybrid was aside from driving only on EV, and for whatever reason a bigger engine than the standard 5.3L was installed as well.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #6358
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
I'd downsize the engine to a V6 & use the electric powertrain to supplement it in tow/haul mode. If you can get 50 miles of pure EV driving, you could use a fraction of that power as a booster for a lot longer.

And I'd integrate the electric motors into the transmission like in the Volt (as well as other hybrids) rather than using hub motors or otherwise driving the front & rear axles differently. Probably a more versatile system, and in being a high-capacity Voltec powertrain it would probably easier to develop than some other completely new system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
That is basically what the old hybrid was aside from driving only on EV, and for whatever reason a bigger engine than the standard 5.3L was installed as well.
Not exactly. What DGthe3 described would be a Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV). That is the only way you would get the 50 miles EV driving. The original Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade hybrids were not PHEV and could only drive maybe a fraction of a mile at very low speed (under 25 mph) in EV mode. Contrast that to the Voltec system in the Volt that can drive more than 50 miles on all-electric at all speeds up to its electronically limited 99 mph.

You are correct about the engine sizing. The Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade triplets used a 6.0L instead of a 5.3L. This is because they were engineered with Atkinson Cycle operation that closes the intake valves later than usual. This usually results in lower power and torque for same sized engines, so GM executed this on the larger displacement, higher output 6.0L in order to recover the power and torque to the usual 5.3L levels.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #6359
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
anyone know anything about what might be on the 2020 Colorado/Canyon refresh? Specifically if it will be getting the 10 spd transmission as an option for the V6, sunroof, or any other upgrades. I have search the web hard, but haven't found anything specific, or even when announcements will be made by GM.

hoping some of our "in the know" may have some information.

thanks
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #6360
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Not exactly. What DGthe3 described would be a Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV). That is the only way you would get the 50 miles EV driving. The original Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade hybrids were not PHEV and could only drive maybe a fraction of a mile at very low speed (under 25 mph) in EV mode. Contrast that to the Voltec system in the Volt that can drive more than 50 miles on all-electric at all speeds up to its electronically limited 99 mph.

You are correct about the engine sizing. The Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade triplets used a 6.0L instead of a 5.3L. This is because they were engineered with Atkinson Cycle operation that closes the intake valves later than usual. This usually results in lower power and torque for same sized engines, so GM executed this on the larger displacement, higher output 6.0L in order to recover the power and torque to the usual 5.3L levels.
I guess I wasn't very clear what I meant. The electric motors are in place of the standard transmission assembly and not at each wheel hub. I meant to say it was a SIMILAR setup to what was described aside from the fact that the old hybrid cannot drive the vehicle exclusively above parking lot speeds. I wasn't saying it was exactly the same.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #6361
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
anyone know anything about what might be on the 2020 Colorado/Canyon refresh? Specifically if it will be getting the 10 spd transmission as an option for the V6, sunroof, or any other upgrades. I have search the web hard, but haven't found anything specific, or even when announcements will be made by GM.

thanks
Nobody has even seen a mule at this point. I think they might be skipping it and we'll see the 3rd gen in a few years instead. They did add some features on the 2019 - heated steering wheel, proximity sensors, new infotainment, etc - that weren't available on the 2018. I know I didn't answer your question but it's been pretty quite on that front. I hope the Ranger and the Gladiator will prompt a response from GM now that they're done screwing up the Silverado.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #6362
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

thanks
Personally, I would expect the 8AT before the 10AT. Even then, it might wait until next gen as opposed to during a facelift. GM has a lot of other, higher priority mouths to feed with the 10AT. I would say that much of it depends on what GM thinks Tacoma, Frontier, and Santa Cruz will do. Ranger is already expected to have 10AT. All the others are 5 or 6AT. Going to an 8AT will still keep GM in a decent position with only Ford having the 10AT.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #6363
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Personally, I would expect the 8AT before the 10AT. Even then, it might wait until next gen as opposed to during a facelift. GM has a lot of other, higher priority mouths to feed with the 10AT. I would say that much of it depends on what GM thinks Tacoma, Frontier, and Santa Cruz will do. Ranger is already expected to have 10AT. All the others are 5 or 6AT. Going to an 8AT will still keep GM in a decent position with only Ford having the 10AT.
Colorado already has the 8AT on V6. Ranger has only one choice 2.3L I4 with 10AT.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 03-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #6364
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Colorado already has the 8AT on V6. Ranger has only one choice 2.3L I4 with 10AT.
Doh! I really should have known that.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #6365
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

thanks

Nothing as of yet. We just started seeing 2020 Equinox/Terrain MCEs being tested so it's possible we just haven't spotted the midsize trucks.

That being said, Colorado is still outperforming newer rivals in comparisons. Hopefully GM hasn't decided to just rest on their laurels as a result.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #6366
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

And I'd integrate the electric motors into the transmission like in the Volt (as well as other hybrids) rather than using hub motors or otherwise driving the front & rear axles differently. ..
Good point...I completely forgot that the electric motor is a part of the transmission. This sounds like a better or at least more versetile solution than putting motors at the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
So essentially a Voltec Silverado.

And I agree.
Yep!

Quote:

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Nothing as of yet. We just started seeing 2020 Equinox/Terrain MCEs being tested so it's possible we just haven't spotted the midsize trucks.

That being said, Colorado is still outperforming newer rivals in comparisons. Hopefully GM hasn't decided to just rest on their laurels as a result.
We'll see...seems late to not have seen ANYTHING and still get a 2020 refresh...but you have a point.

At this point, I'm starting to think we aren't going to get anything new in the mid-size twins for 2020, and maybe we'll see something in 2021, or GM really is just going to keep doing minor updates until they roll out the 3rd gen in a few years.

The 2019 got some decent (although minor, but needed) updates which is great. I'd love to see a facelift and/or an interior change, but at the same time I still think the current trucks are competitive, and in many ways, better than the competition. If GM feels the same, we may not get an MCE at all this generation.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #6367
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Thanks guys, appreciate all the information. I am really needing a mid size truck, and the whole issue with the GM Transmission with the V6 makes me super hesitant (class action suit). I won't be in the market till summer, so still a little time to see if anything shakes out. The 10 spd would be a no-brainer. Again, thanks guys!!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #6368
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Thanks guys, appreciate all the information. I am really needing a mid size truck, and the whole issue with the GM Transmission with the V6 makes me super hesitant (class action suit). I won't be in the market till summer, so still a little time to see if anything shakes out. The 10 spd would be a no-brainer. Again, thanks guys!!
Keep an eye on the trucks either (1. with a build date after the latest TSB went into effect or 2. on the newer trucks that have had the TSB done). IF this fix really is a fix, then we should see the results over time.

But yeah...if they did introduce the 10-spd, it would be great. I really like my 2015 a lot, and recently drove a 2018 as a loaner for a day and the new engine/8 speed combo drove great and noticeably had more pep than mine does. Its a damn shame the TC issues are putting a damper on an otherwise great truck.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #6369
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Assuming you are talking about the shudder issue, GM is now doing this in response:
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

I haven't personally experienced it but I only have 6k on the odometer.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 03-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #6370
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Assuming you are talking about the shudder issue, GM is now doing this in response:
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

I haven't personally experienced it but I only have 6k on the odometer.
Yeah, I hang out on the Colorado and Tacoma forums A LOT. I have seen this new 'fix' and some are starting to comment a little more on it. Hopefully it does get the job done. I would definitely feel better about the purchase then.

And I also know that not everyone experiences the problem, as we know when people are happy with their rides, they are less likely to find/post on forums for assistance. So I understand that also.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions