Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 12-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #5685
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I see. Yeah, I tend to wait a few years on the brand new models. I did on the C7Z and I'm glad I did. The ZLE is proven so I'm in. Not sure if I'm going to be as disciplined with the C8Z though. Still waiting on more GT500 head to head tests and of course the test of time on reliability.

Not to bash the gt350, but I don't get the need for the high revving engines, especially if I'm just as fast with a torquey one. I've owned and tracked a lotus elise with an 8500 redline and the C6Z with the 7100 redline. The high revs just weren't a big deal to me.
Yea everyone has their preference. I get the cool factor of the voodoo and reving out but I also like to have power down low from 3-4.5k also. For all its high rev hype the gt350 is barely faster than an SS if at all, and even then if it is it's probably the extra 70 hp. Two ways to get it done, not my preferance but I understand why some prefer it.

I actually get the appeal of high rev engines more so on automatic cars with lots of gears or tight gearing to keep the rpms up, but on an m6 car I feel like you need torque for what is now relatively long gearing compared to the a10s and import dct's. The gt500 is different, gears 1 through 4 on its dct are actually pretty long but it has the low end power to deal with it like it would on a manual version as well.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #5686
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Agreed, I do give Ford credit for being one of the few to take chances and build some truly interesting to drive cars. Unfortunately they don’t follow through on testing and quality etc. I feel I was a beta tester and bought a early 16 model. I did check the oil frequently and kept it topped off all the time. My 16 was one of the first few to get their Voodoo replaced due to excessive oil consumption. It was burning/using a quart every 300 miles IIRC. This was after my dealers body shop had to reinstall the splitter correctly. Fix some really shoddy panel alignment from the factory. Fix a half shaft that blew only from moderate street driving. Fix a hole in the back windshield that would leak during a heavy rain or in a car wash. I honestly think I’m missing a couple of things.
Yea I give credit where it's due and respect Ford for their willingness to come out with cutting edge products, I like what gm offers but they usually play it safe and late to the game (except arguably the c8). That will inherently lead to more issues but I agree that it seems like they could definately stand to do more r&d and not use early customers as the final step of r&d beta testing lol
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #5687
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Yea everyone has their preference. I get the cool factor of the voodoo and reving out but I also like to have power down low from 3-4.5k also. For all its high rev hype the gt350 is barely faster than an SS if at all, and even then if it is it's probably the extra 70 hp. Two ways to get it done, not my preferance but I understand why some prefer it.

I actually get the appeal of high rev engines more so on automatic cars with lots of gears or tight gearing to keep the rpms up, but on an m6 car I feel like you need torque for what is now relatively long gearing compared to the a10s and import dct's. The gt500 is different, gears 1 through 4 on its dct are actually pretty long but it has the low end power to deal with it like it would on a manual version as well.
Yep, to me the 350 is only in it’s element on track where you’re never in its no torque ED zone.

I also loathe that car because it was junk. And like minn19, i have NEVER seen such widespread issues that regular members went through. One of my favorite quotes from those guys is the “it’s still less than 1% of motors blown” lol. Yeahhhh ok.

There were undoubtedly some guys who never checked their oil 3k after an oil change and were 6 quarts down, which is perfectly normal if ya ask ford. But the majority knew to check, added oil every other fill up, and got a new motor anyway, that someone else is probably dealing with the same shit now.

Someone earlier mentioned all the low mileage ones for sale...just IMAGINE how many of those are on their way to an engine swap and were simply dumped before it got too bad.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #5688
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Neither would I, but he’s Mr Drag King and I would think he’d want the baddest ride fit for such a man of his talents of course.
Wow I'm gone for a day or two and you guys got GSJ banned? Lol. I would NEVER mod any car above a base model V8 just because I can buy the base V8 strictly for nodding. Modding a new GT500 is hella risky at best right now
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #5689
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
Wow I'm gone for a day or two and you guys got GSJ banned? Lol.
'Bout damn time. He was somewhat entertaining tho.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #5690
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
Wow I'm gone for a day or two and you guys got GSJ banned? Lol. I would NEVER mod any car above a base model V8 just because I can buy the base V8 strictly for nodding. Modding a new GT500 is hella risky at best right now
He got himself banned (for the second time) not us.

Again, agreed, especially if all you are going to do is drag race. It was a thing from the other forum as well in the back forth between him and many others (not just me).

I never mod for power as I don’t want to void my power train warranty and pay out of pocket for an engine. And obviously I agree, I certainly wouldn’t mod any newish Ford at the moment.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #5691
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Yep, to me the 350 is only in it’s element on track where you’re never in its no torque ED zone.

I also loathe that car because it was junk. And like minn19, i have NEVER seen such widespread issues that regular members went through. One of my favorite quotes from those guys is the “it’s still less than 1% of motors blown” lol. Yeahhhh ok.

There were undoubtedly some guys who never checked their oil 3k after an oil change and were 6 quarts down, which is perfectly normal if ya ask ford. But the majority knew to check, added oil every other fill up, and got a new motor anyway, that someone else is probably dealing with the same shit now.

Someone earlier mentioned all the low mileage ones for sale...just IMAGINE how many of those are on their way to an engine swap and were simply dumped before it got too bad.
They are there trying to say it still really isn’t a problem to this day. The Voodoo will be known for sound, hi revving and unreliability.

I logged in a week or so ago and the first thing at the top of the GT350 section was a thread about a possible 2020 engine replacement.

Imagine how many of those have already had the motors changed and potential buyers are unaware of it. Or unaware of how to even check or know enough to run the VIN the right way to find out. I have no idea why those maintain their value the way they do.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #5692
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

One thing I will give credit to Ford for...regardless of how crappy they build their Mustangs, when they slap a "GT500" sticker on something, you better believe that thing will be bullet proof. Within reason. If that engine is rated at 760 HP, then you can bet your ass that it will safely handle 1000+ RWHP easily. And you can take that to the bank. I'd even go as far as to say north of 1200 RWHP is safe even if it might be close to the giving point.

That being the case, if anyone is a hardcore racer like some of these guys claim to be, and if they can afford the GT500, and if it is available to purchase, then it is a no brainer. If they don't buy one then they are either a liar, are broke, or are not as much of a racer as they claim. The GT500 stock in the hands of a good driver and on a prepped track in good weather is easily a mid 10 sec car bone stock. Throw a pulley, moderate to mild tune, cat delete, and DRs on it and you WILL be in the 9s. High 9s. But 9s nonetheless. And that is a car that you can drive to the track, throw the tune on, run 9s, return to stock, and drive home. AND it will absolutely ice any other Mustang around any track on the planet without much trouble. AND it will have a good amount of creature comforts. So it is literally 3 cars in one. At $74K IF, IF, you can get it at MSRP...which these guys claim will be possible in a few months to a year. So for anyone who claims to be such a hardcore racer and who can afford that but claims it is better to build a 5 year old GT, then something is wrong with them.

However I do think the price to mod the GT500 will be extremely high. I have not kept up with it, but Lund is the best and most trusted in the game right now. I would fully trust him but I would not trust anyone else. That being the case I can see him charging significantly more for tuning the GT500 than any other car. And I will bet that a pulley setup for the 500 will be a bit higher too. Is it worth it? For a $74K GT500 with good options that can be driven to a track to run 9s, then dust a GT350R on any track on the planet, then go to the grocery store...I'd say yes. If I was as hardcore as some of these guys claim then the GT500 would be the only option.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #5693
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
One thing I will give credit to Ford for...regardless of how crappy they build their Mustangs, when they slap a "GT500" sticker on something, you better believe that thing will be bullet proof. Within reason. If that engine is rated at 760 HP, then you can bet your ass that it will safely handle 1000+ RWHP easily. And you can take that to the bank. I'd even go as far as to say north of 1200 RWHP is safe even if it might be close to the giving point.

That being the case, if anyone is a hardcore racer like some of these guys claim to be, and if they can afford the GT500, and if it is available to purchase, then it is a no brainer. If they don't buy one then they are either a liar, are broke, or are not as much of a racer as they claim. The GT500 stock in the hands of a good driver and on a prepped track in good weather is easily a mid 10 sec car bone stock. Throw a pulley, moderate to mild tune, cat delete, and DRs on it and you WILL be in the 9s. High 9s. But 9s nonetheless. And that is a car that you can drive to the track, throw the tune on, run 9s, return to stock, and drive home. AND it will absolutely ice any other Mustang around any track on the planet without much trouble. AND it will have a good amount of creature comforts. So it is literally 3 cars in one. At $74K IF, IF, you can get it at MSRP...which these guys claim will be possible in a few months to a year. So for anyone who claims to be such a hardcore racer and who can afford that but claims it is better to build a 5 year old GT, then something is wrong with them.

However I do think the price to mod the GT500 will be extremely high. I have not kept up with it, but Lund is the best and most trusted in the game right now. I would fully trust him but I would not trust anyone else. That being the case I can see him charging significantly more for tuning the GT500 than any other car. And I will bet that a pulley setup for the 500 will be a bit higher too. Is it worth it? For a $74K GT500 with good options that can be driven to a track to run 9s, then dust a GT350R on any track on the planet, then go to the grocery store...I'd say yes. If I was as hardcore as some of these guys claim then the GT500 would be the only option.
As a road track guy, I’d have a hard time with the DCT and weight of that thing. I get it must handle it very well, as evidenced by the lap times, but I still wonder what that would feel like driving wise. I wish the ZLE was a couple of hundred pounds lighter. As good as it is, you still can feel the weight.

If I was spending 100k plus on a car, I’d be hard pressed not to get a manual 911 GTS. It may be slower than a GT500, but man it would be a fun car to drive.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #5694
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Name:  32F3EBF3-0B71-4188-992E-3991E6ECC16A.jpeg
Views: 372
Size:  22.0 KB

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #5695
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Neither would I, but he’s Mr Drag King and I would think he’d want the baddest ride fit for such a man of his talents of course.
Exactly. Which makes me ask...if someone can afford the GT500 and has no hang ups about it and spends all day debating it, why would that person NOT buy it?
Quote:
As a road track guy, I’d have a hard time with the DCT and weight of that thing. I get it must handle it very well, as evidenced by the lap times, but I still wonder what that would feel like driving wise. I wish the ZLE was a couple of hundred pounds lighter. As good as it is, you still can feel the weight.

If I was spending 100k plus on a car, I’d be hard pressed not to get a manual 911 GTS. It may be slower than a GT500, but man it would be a fun car to drive.
I've grown accustomed to these heavy vehicles but even I think 4000 pounds is the limit. My Hellcat, as fast as it is, you can feel the weight. If I had to lug that thing around a track it would surely take some physical endurance. The GT500 is not much lighter. On a straight it is blindingly fast. But that weight would indeed be felt around a turn. Still tho I think it will outmuscle even the R due to the sheer difference in power. And I think that applies to any track. The ZL1 and ZLE will beat the 500s.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #5696
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
I went from 1980lbs to 3150lbs and now to 3880lbs... damn, I'm sure going the wrong way.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #5697
Chadicus

Quote:

You make a good point the traditional cross plane crank should be bulletproof but..... Ford is having issue with the 5.0 and the 5.2 Voodoo. I'd wait a while and see how bulletproof the GT500 actually is.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #5698
Chadicus

Quote:
Exactly. Which makes me ask...if someone can afford the GT500 and has no hang ups about it and spends all day debating it, why would that person NOT buy it?
Only reason I can think of is if it isnt available. And being able to afford one at MSRP and affording it with ADM and allocation fees are two different things.

I also find it very odd that the hardcore Shelby fanboys all drive base model Mustang GTs.