#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 10-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #43
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM won't do it because anything that deserves the name will be a gas hog and they have to get their cars to average 35 mpg by 2020. The El Camino would make more sense in this fuel economy climate, it has a greater following than the regular Chevelle does, and since it would be a truck (if the HHR is a truck, so would an el camino), it would help GM bring up their truck average towards the required 27 mpg.

It would be awesome for GM to have the guts to bring out a limited edition Chevelle SS 454 in the middle of ramping up the Cafe laws though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #44
vintage vic

Drives: achievea
Please NO more mods to the Camaro unless they relate back to truer retro
styling. This new Camaro is pretty ugly to many. Those who don't think so just like anything with the name "Camaro" on it, and style doesn't matter to them mostly.

The retro 'Stang is more true to the original spirit of the mustang, and has been a huge success.
If a Chevelle is re done, then Chevy needs to get its styling act together and dig up some of those old fisher body designers from the 70's even if they're dead, and once again show how its done. Besides they should use the '69 body to do a retro and not the bulkier '70s style. Both the '69 Camaro and Chevelle designs are classics and should be brought back to as original as possible without of course making it easy to re fit original parts on them.
also lets get real: and stop worrying about drag co efeciecny, at 55 mph it really doesn't matter if it cuts 100 % of the the wind. Yea i know in the end you're the road warrior on the street and think you need the best possible edge. You really begin to lose the classic look when everything needs to look like a wedge.

The GTO was a flop because its style was a flop. goat fan base told GM to retro the car and it said "sorry." now look whos sorry: Pontiac hit the dirt for that mistake.
Chevy has to get its head out of Monaro Holden's ass. wipe the slate clean (pun intended?) and start over but with bringing "old school' back to real time.
Sports cars are supposed to be tight in size. having one is a selfish pursuit, and GM has to stop thinking about the family when it designs a sports car.
I'm not saying its got to be tiny either. But the Camaro is too big, and if you want to correct me then correct hundreds of others who think so as well.

There is a retro Mako Vette design floating around the internet, and while this is a cool idea, and actually the concept looks pretty good, Chevy should really be thinking about re doing the 60's 'rays instead. GM keeps dancing around the idea of making an all out kick ass sports car. they need to go back to the old school drawing board. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images...itcomputer.gif They would sell 60's sting 'rays off the hook, and never keep up with the demand. As a company on the verge of bankrupcy Chevy, and GM (General Malaise) needs to pull out all stops and quit scrooing around.
They need to get their head out of their asses if they want more success in selling sports cars. Finally they've got to stop sticking huge sticker prices (pun intended) up ours.
vintage vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #45
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage vic View Post
styling. This new Camaro is pretty ugly to many. Those who don't think so just like anything with the name "Camaro" on it, and style doesn't matter to them mostly.

The retro 'Stang is more true to the original spirit of the mustang, and has been a huge success.
If a Chevelle is re done, then Chevy needs to get its styling act together and dig up some of those old fisher body designers from the 70's even if they're dead, and once again show how its done. Besides they should use the '69 body to do a retro and not the bulkier '70s style. Both the '69 Camaro and Chevelle designs are classics and should be brought back to as original as possible without of course making it easy to re fit original parts on them.
also lets get real: and stop worrying about drag co efeciecny, at 55 mph it really doesn't matter if it cuts 100 % of the the wind. Yea i know in the end you're the road warrior on the street and think you need the best possible edge. You really begin to lose the classic look when everything needs to look like a wedge.

The GTO was a flop because its style was a flop. goat fan base told GM to retro the car and it said "sorry." now look whos sorry: Pontiac hit the dirt for that mistake.
Chevy has to get its head out of Monaro Holden's ass. wipe the slate clean (pun intended?) and start over but with bringing "old school' back to real time.
Sports cars are supposed to be tight in size. having one is a selfish pursuit, and GM has to stop thinking about the family when it designs a sports car.
I'm not saying its got to be tiny either. But the Camaro is too big, and if you want to correct me then correct hundreds of others who think so as well.

There is a retro Mako Vette design floating around the internet, and while this is a cool idea, and actually the concept looks pretty good, Chevy should really be thinking about re doing the 60's 'rays instead. GM keeps dancing around the idea of making an all out kick ass sports car. they need to go back to the old school drawing board. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images...itcomputer.gif They would sell 60's sting 'rays off the hook, and never keep up with the demand. As a company on the verge of bankrupcy Chevy, and GM (General Malaise) needs to pull out all stops and quit scrooing around.
They need to get their head out of their asses if they want more success in selling sports cars. Finally they've got to stop sticking huge sticker prices (pun intended) up ours.
First, there's a thing called spell check.

Secondly;

Yeah. There's this thing called the NHTSAA and CAFE.. that's why your camaro is "ugly and a POS." And what the hell are you talking about 'huge sticker prices'? DO you realize what comes in the Camaro stock?

IMO, you don't even appreciate what GM has pulled off in this car. You probably haven't even read about the praise this car has gotten and which clientele has been converted to the Chevy brand.

Go to bed already, and stop necrotizing threads..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #46
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
i would love to see the chevelle come back in 2015 but 1st lets get past 12/21/12

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #47
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I'm all for bringing back the Vega body style...........maybe put an engine in it that would last. Those were less than 2000lbs and stick a V8 in one and watch it fly.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #48
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
as others have already said -- that's all "fan-fiction", not GM-designed.

It's not that we're for Camaro v. other cars (I mean, we are, but...), you've read a lot of folks on here who say they'd like to see a Chevelle...but not in PLACE of a Camaro...that doesn't make any sense. Especially since they just brought it back.

My issues with this whole idea (keep in mind I love the Chevelle):

#1-- if muscle car demand will have "died" by 2015...why spend all the money to to kill a sports car, and bring back another muscle car?

#2-- where is the Camaro going to leave off? It was around for nearly 40 years before it was cancelled in 2002...are you expecting it to fail?

#3-- if the Chevelle isn't as popular as the Camaro...where's the incentive to replace a relatively high-volume car (Camaro) with a relatively low-volume car (Chevelle)?

remember...I like the Chevelle
GM needs to keep the Camaro. They never should have taken it out of their line-up to begin with. This 5th gen could have been launched in a booming economy...imagine those sales figures. I hope for an even better 6th gen. By the time I can get to one, I'll either be the last person on this site to get a 5th gen or the first to pre-order a 6th gen!!!
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #49
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #50
War Eagle

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, Avanti, 2010 GT500
I owned a brand new 1967 SS Chevelle, maroon, with red line tires and black interior, it was the most beautiful car I ever owned. I traded it for a 1969 SS Chevelle, butternut yellow but never liked it as much as that 1967.

If GM would bring back a SS Chevelle that looked like a 1967 I would buy one in a "Heart Beat". I grew up on Super Sports and it broke my heart to see what GM did to the SS label over the years. When I was a kid the SS label really meant something, when you rolled down the road in a Super Sport Chevelle there was no doubt you were in one tough, mean machine and everyone took notice.

I love the new SS Camaro and think GM did a pretty nice job with but I still yearn for new modern retro version of my old 1967 Super Sport.

Heck the first Mustang I ever owned was in 2005 when I bought a new Torch Red GT. GM has been out of touch with their customers for a long time, their styling/design teams were the worst in the world but they have finally started to get their act together, thank God, it's about time. Before the new camaro, the GTO and SS Chevrolet models looked like absolute crap.

Best Regards,

Steve

Back in a Chevelle after 41 years.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #51
War Eagle

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, Avanti, 2010 GT500
I forgot to add, that "back in the day" late sixties that Super Sports ruled the roads. I used to eat Mach 1s for lunch and Road Runners for dinner.

That is why I am so proud of what GM has done with the new SS Camaro, By God that is a car that has redeemed the honor of the SS badge.

Back in a Chevelle after 41 years.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #52
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
What's next - bring back the Nova?
That's a no go! Sorry couldn't help it.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #53
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoiSS View Post
lol its 2008, im talking wayyyyy in 2015... maybe beyond. By then i seriously think muscle car demand will have DIED .
Muscle car demand will never die... It can only be forced away from us...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #54
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Fail.

You obviously don't know anything about engineering or designing a car, nor have you conducted surveys with focus groups regarding the Camaro. No room to talk.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #55
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
And it looks amazing to many as well. Those who do like anything that looks good, despite what name it has.

The Camaro has outsold the Mustang 2 months in a row now ...

If a Chevelle is re done, then Chevy needs to get its styling act together and dig up some of those old fisher body designers from the 70's even if they're dead ...
Call up the designers at Dodge, they know how to use trace paper to design a car (Challenger). GM's designers are using a bit more innovation.

also lets get real: and stop worrying about drag co efeciecny ...
Its about fuel economy, not speed. And whether you like it or not, the majority of buyers wouldn't look at the Camaro or Chevelle if it was getting 24 mpg with the V6.

The GTO was a flop because its style was a flop ...
In addition to forgettable styling, it was built on an aging platform, never had a mass market V6, and was intended to be an inexpensive way for GM to give Pontiac a replacement for the Firebird. The sales expectations were 18k/yr not 100k or 150k like the Camaro and Mustang.

I do try and correct everyone that says its too big. You are no different. Look at a Camaro next to a Mustang, they are the same size. Now look at one next to a Challenger, the Challenger is significantly larger.

There is a retro Mako Vette design floating around the internet ...
That 'vette is the Centennial Concept that GM had last year, but it is most commonly known as Sideswipe from Transformers 2. It is not intended for production.

The average MSRP for a car that is sold these days is about $35,000 which is about what a 2SS costs before you start adding options. In other words, the Camaro is not an expensive car especially considering the fact that there aren't any other cars that have 400+ hp and do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds for under $40,000
Just because you like pure old style cars does not mean that the majority of buyers do. GM needs to attract new buyers, not the ones who are commited to GM already. And I have a feeling that nobody would be turning in a 350Z for a brand new Chevelle that looks just like one from the 60's.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #56
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I hate to continue necro-ing threads, but I'll chime in here: the retro movement is just about puttering out. I don't think that's a bad thing. It reintroduced us to the idea of a car as a style statement. It reinvigorated passion for the car as an object of lust, a thing of beauty, not just an appliance. Now, it is time to take that renewed passion and move forward, designing cars that may not look much like old cars, but are plenty passionate and beautiful.

If all you want is a carbon copy style of the old car, just buy the old car. It will appreciate as a classic anyway. Let modern cars be modern.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote