Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #43
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about lately and wondering if that would happen. I know none of us know what the future holds but its looking pretty bleak to be a car enthusiast and that does not sit well with me at all.
Same man. I’ve been doing a bunch of research on this topic almost everyday lately. Not gonna lie, it’s kinda stressing me out lol. It sucks that our hobby is getting phased out. I’m not against electric cars at all. What I am against is not figuring out a way to have both ice and electric on the roads for years to come. I’m only 31. I did not think I’d buy my “forever” car before 40. It almost seems like I’ll have to buy an electric truck and trailer in the future and trailer my zl1 to race tracks as I feel like I won’t be able to easily get gas anymore. It’s almost like ice cars are going to be kept and treated like horses are now. I feel as if they’ll be a luxury and only a small fraction of people will have them and they won’t really be used for transportation anymore.
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #44
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Same man. I’ve been doing a bunch of research on this topic almost everyday lately. Not gonna lie, it’s kinda stressing me out lol. It sucks that our hobby is getting phased out. I’m not against electric cars at all. What I am against is not figuring out a way to have both ice and electric on the roads for years to come. I’m only 31. I did not think I’d buy my “forever” car before 40. It almost seems like I’ll have to buy an electric truck and trailer in the future and trailer my zl1 to race tracks as I feel like I won’t be able to easily get gas anymore. It’s almost like ice cars are going to be kept and treated like horses are now. I feel as if they’ll be a luxury and only a small fraction of people will have them and they won’t really be used for transportation anymore.
gas will still be readily available for quite some time. there was 14.4 million cars sold in 2020 and electric cars IIRC were only 2% of that. It's going to take generations to completely get rid of ICE if it ever happens.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #45
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
gas will still be readily available for quite some time. there was 14.4 million cars sold in 2020 and electric cars IIRC were only 2% of that. It's going to take generations to completely get rid of ICE if it ever happens.
When you look at the statistics, I agree. What we don’t know (and what I think will happen) are laws and bans put into place in order to heavily incentivize us into getting rid of our current ICE cars and basically being forced to get an EV.
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #46
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
When you look at the statistics, I agree. What we don’t know (and what I think will happen) are laws and bans put into place in order to heavily incentivize us into getting rid of our current ICE cars and basically being forced to get an EV.
Possibly but look at it this way. That figure was just new car sales. That doesn't even include the amount of used cars sold. There are simply to many ICE vehicles on the road now to get away from them soon. Eventually yes, but its still a ways off.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #47
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
Quote:
lets not forget that lawnmowers, weedwhackers, boats, motorcycles, rv's, etc...
all need fuel to run and there's right now ZERO talk of moving those industries to electric. I owned several wakeboats before cashing out and buying the 'maro and although a few have dabbled in it, the boat market isn't doing anything to promote electric.......
although it could get a little tougher to find-as in not on every corner- in the next 20 years, that's as far as it'll go in any of our lifetimes.....
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #48
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
a Tesla model s plaid can run a nearly 8-second quarter mile today (and even that is kinda weird, the car cannot be modded at all, so the only possible "mod" is ditching weight, eventually the driver, too, I presume).
could you imagine drag strips being reduced to basically life-sized RC car races. no drivers just controlling it from outside the car.
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #49
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
There are over 280 million registered vehicles in the USA. 1.8 million are EV

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #50
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Probably faster than V6 ICE camaro bring on the angry pixies.
Well of course it will be. The V6 ICErs aren't fast though to begin with
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #51
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Well of course it will be. The V6 ICErs aren't fast though to begin with
person A: the camaro might go electric

person B: yeah the V6 camaro is so slow right

see how dumb that conversation sounds lol ever think maybe if y'all weren't constantly bashing the breadwinners and constantly going on about its V8 or die that maybe sales could be doing a bit better, not by a large margin but at least people wouldn't come here to research if they should get a Turbo 4 or V6 camaro and instantly be met with "if you're poor go away T4/V6 sucks lol"
Old 07-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #52
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
In the late 2000s, CARB mandated that diesel engine had to be updated to 2010 standards according to the following schedule. Trucks were forced to "upgrading to newer engines" or leave. A 2009 truck is out by 2023.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/trucks...us_booklet.pdf

In 2020, Governor Newsom (D-CA) signed an executive order that "directs state to require that, by 2035, all new cars and passenger trucks sold in California be zero-emission vehicles"

I wouldn't count on them having any heart concerning your ICE car.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/09/23/go...limate-change/
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #53
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im not poor,but its kind of dumb to want power levels that will only get you into trouble on the street.why in the hell would i want to pay 10k more just to raise the hood at car shows so people can gawk at my V8? i would bet 90% of V8 owners never get their cars over 155 mph on the street (top speed of the RS equipped V6)
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #54
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
im not poor,but its kind of dumb to want power levels that will only get you into trouble on the street.why in the hell would i want to pay 10k more just to raise the hood at car shows so people can gawk at my V8? i would bet 90% of V8 owners never get their cars over 155 mph on the street (top speed of the RS equipped V6)
yeah not everyone who buys the V6 is poor or can't otherwise afford the V8 just over exaggerating how the people who have to justify their V8s sound lol
Old 07-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #55
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Possibly but look at it this way. That figure was just new car sales. That doesn't even include the amount of used cars sold. There are simply to many ICE vehicles on the road now to get away from them soon. Eventually yes, but its still a ways off.

That and Ford with the Superduty will not be going electric anytime soon according to this and other articles with no updates on it. https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...per-duty-mode/
Makes sense kind of hard to have a diesel exhaust brake and grade shifting to slow down trailers on hills so you don't overheat your brakes. They will still need gas and diesel fuel.

I am honestly not worried about gas pumps going away in the next 20 years in my metro area they put up or redid 6 gas stations near me recently. Out of the six 3 of them are new including a big Quik Trip in Olathe.

I don't live in California and there are diesel trucks here that California would be pissed at but there is no emission checks in my state.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #56
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
In 2020, Governor Newsom (D-CA) signed an executive order that "directs state to require that, by 2035, all new cars and passenger trucks sold in California be zero-emission vehicles"

I wouldn't count on them having any heart concerning your ICE car.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/09/23/go...limate-change/
It won't be about CA or CARB or the current governor having any 'heart' for ICE owners.

It'll be about the practical side of making what they want to see happen, actually happening.

Norm