#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #43
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
You sound like every other Mopar owner the way you bend over backwards to defend them on here I hear Dodge has some good incentives on their land yachts, I mean hellcats, you should go buy one
Already had a 2016 Challenger Hellcat, Village Idiot, with just over 1000hp, been there done that so I know what they're capable of. You clearly don't. I also own Durango Hellcat along with my ZL1.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 07-09-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #44
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
The truth hurts some people about the Demons and Hellcats. I give credit where it’s due even though I’m not a Dodge fanboy. So what if they are faster than our ZL1s. I surely don’t care if they are.
Well said. I don't care either but some folks need to be educated. I sold my Hellcat and bought the ZL1 for different reasons. I love the cornering of the ZL1, and with some mods they will outrun most Hellcats in a straight line too so that's the path I chose. I'm an active member on the Hellcat forums too, I have to set them straight sometimes too when they talk up how well a Widebody Hellcat handles on a road course.

Different cars for different purposes. From a performance standpoint, the Hellcat is hard to beat on a drag strip for the money. A ZL1 can be made to run with just about any Hellcat on a drag strip but it costs a LOT more. However, no amount of money will make a Hellcat handle like a ZL1 and for that reason, that's why I have a ZL1 now.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 07-09-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #45
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Perhaps.

At my recent 1/8 mile event I was the only ZL1 there with 5 or 6 stock & modified Hellcats, wide bodies to boot, with drag radials. Not one posted my, or better, MPH. The reason was clear watching them launch on an unprepared surface. Most street races I’ve ever been in were stop light to stop light, so 1/8 mile is a pretty good representation.

That’s real world, not magazine racing.
Is your car stock? If so, it won't outrun a Redeye in a drag race with proper traction and similar driver, its just physics. A standard 707hp or 717hp Hellcat is a closer race.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #46
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
a ZLE isn't as fast as a Redeye in a straight line.

ZL1's are not putting their advertised power to the wheels a lot of time either. They are notorious for closing throttle. Tune wakes them up quite a bit and improves consistency. Mopar stuff is tuned more aggressively then GM with less intrusion from the ECU manipulating the throttle. The transmissions are also tuned more aggressively then GM.

Either way I would still take a ZL1 over a Hellcat or GT500. Flex fuel sensor and tune by somebody like Pray really wakes them up.
Agreed except on the ZL1 over GT500. If the GT500 could be had without a huge markup, I'd probably be in one. Since it wasn't though, I bought a ZL1 and modified it to outrun a GT500 for less money. If drag racing were my number 1 priority, the Hellcat would be the choice all day long.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #47
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Is your car stock? If so, it won't outrun a Redeye in a drag race with proper traction and similar driver, its just physics. A standard 707hp or 717hp Hellcat is a closer race.
Yep, all stock.

Can’t help ya. All I know is on that day I was faster than all the other Hellcats. Chatted with one of them that had some mods & couldn’t believe how well my car was launching compared to his on drag radials.

I probably have the driver mod, though.

Sure, make the long run & they’d probably run me down, eventually, but I’d be on the binders by then = they lost. Have a nice day.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #48
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
You sound like every other Mopar owner the way you bend over backwards to defend them on here I hear Dodge has some good incentives on their land yachts, I mean hellcats, you should go buy one
I'm a Mopar owner. I have a modded Hellcat with M6 trans. If you think Hellcats are slow then you don't know what you're talking about.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #49
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm a Mopar owner. I have a modded Hellcat with M6 trans. If you think Hellcats are slow then you don't know what you're talking about.
Sorry your boat that needs VHT, radials, race gas, and every other perfect condition under the sun to put down the times Dodge claims doesn’t impress me.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #50
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Sorry your boat that needs VHT, radials, race gas, and every other perfect condition under the sun to put down the times Dodge claims doesn’t impress me.
And your 12 sec SS doesn't impress me.

And it's funny you should talk about mods when your SS would need thousands of dollars in upgrades just to be as fast as any of the cars mentioned here and still wouldn't have the same value.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #51
Z OH 6

Quote:
Village Idiot. Fitting.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #52
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Agreed except on the ZL1 over GT500. If the GT500 could be had without a huge markup, I'd probably be in one. Since it wasn't though, I bought a ZL1 and modified it to outrun a GT500 for less money. If drag racing were my number 1 priority, the Hellcat would be the choice all day long.
GT500 isn't that impressive to me. Don't care for the DCT trans at all.

If drag racing was a priority I would go back to a 4th gen. A lot easier platform to work with for drag racing. Cheaper and easier platform to build on...less to gut or remove. All these new cars have too many controllers and BS....no to mention heavy.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #53
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:

If drag racing was a priority I would go back to a 4th gen. A lot easier platform to work with for drag racing. Cheaper and easier platform to build on...less to gut or remove. All these new cars have too many controllers and BS....no to mention heavy.
If building a cheap/fun drag car I’d be going LS/Fox body.

I was very close to slapping a 6.0L in my notch after I split a cylinder in the 306. Lot of good that main girdle did…
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #54
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
well this thread escalated quickly
Old 07-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #55
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Yep, all stock.

Can’t help ya. All I know is on that day I was faster than all the other Hellcats. Chatted with one of them that had some mods & couldn’t believe how well my car was launching compared to his on drag radials.

I probably have the driver mod, though.

Sure, make the long run & they’d probably run me down, eventually, but I’d be on the binders by then = they lost. Have a nice day.
Driver makes a huge difference but obviously that's a huge variable. Power to weight ratio is just physics. When you add variables like the driver, well then anything goes. I was strictly speaking apples to apples comparison removing the obvious variables. There's plenty of stock Hellcat's with a proper driver that will outrun your stock ZL1 in the 1/4. Its cool though, racing is heads up, driver is part of the equation.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #56
Z OH 6

Quote:

Have you driven one though? That DCT is phenomenal. I could understand your argument if you're a manual guy but compared to an automatic, the DCT is equally comparable if not better.

Well, if anything goes, there are lots of platforms you could choose. I was strictly speaking of the three currently available.