Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #43
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delthawk5 View Post
I've driven my car about 1,000 miles now from new and I can't get past how damn uncomfortable it is just cruising along. My girlfriend has been complaining about it non-stop every time we drive somewhere, and now I'm becoming extremely aware of what she means. I can hear and feel every single bump, crack, dip, and slit on the road; even just cruising at speed on the highway. Living in a nice part of Florida, our roads aren't even that bad. I can feel just about every pebble even on smooth roads. It's starting to drive me nuts. I've driven my fair share of sports cars over the years, even with aggressively modified suspensions. There's just no way this car was designed to be THIS uncomfortable and noisy. It's making simple daily driving duties an annoyance.

The first obvious culprit are these run-flats, which I hate by default because well, run-flats.

The second thing, I'm starting to regret not getting the magnetic ride suspension; surely that would make a difference?

Am I being unfair here? Does the car need more time to settle? I planned on keeping the run flats until the rear went but now I'm just considering going for the nuclear option and replacing them right now. Does anyone have recommendations or can talk about the impact going from the runflats to non-RF?

Must be you. Mine is comfortable. I keep my suspension in sport mode, if I'm on a long smooth highway I put it in track mode. If you are looking for a plush ride don't expect that. What you get is a tight firm responsive ride.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #44
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I agree with others, the Magnetic Ride Control is well worth the cost... In tour it floats, in Track it hugs everything... Well worth the cost... (That and the NPP Exhaust, I love my NPP and MRC...)
You may be right, but I'd say the non-MRC suspension is really good as well to the point where if you haven't had a decent amount of seat time in both to explore the handling characteristics it would be hard to gauge its worth. I personally haven't had enough seat time in an MRC equipped SS to compare the two so I can only speak to the base suspension.

For what it's worth, MotorTrend tested both and said they preferred the non-MRC SS. The instrumented test handling #s on both are essentially identical (ie. skidpad and figure 8 metrics).

From Camaro vs. M4 article:
"This Camaro SS is the 2SS model. Even though it’s about $9K pricier than the 1SS model we tested for Car of the Year, we don’t like it as much. Objectively, the performance is almost identical. Look at the figure-eight times. Both ran a 24.1-second lap. However, both Cammisa and I preferred the ride and handling from the fixed suspension on the 1SS to the adjustable magnetorheological dampers on the 2SS. We also both preferred the way the Camaro tore up a ribbon of asphalt compared to the M4.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...let-camaro-ss/

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #45
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
I have the standard suspension, so no adjust-ability. I drive in touring mode when highway cruising. Tire pressure is 35psi all around.

I thought all 2SS came standard with Magnaride? If not MR I can't say how they ride I thought it equated to MR Tour mode which is the softest.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #46
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Must be you. Mine is comfortable. I keep my suspension in sport mode, if I'm on a long smooth highway I put it in track mode. If you are looking for a plush ride don't expect that. What you get is a tight firm responsive ride.
Like I said. This isn’t my first rodeo. I’ve driven way more hardcore cars. Even with track suspension setups. They’ve never had garbage tier runflats. This isn’t ever a track specific car. Therefore the ride quality shouldn’t be worse.
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #47
delthawk5

Quote:
I thought all 2SS came standard with Magnaride? If not MR I can't say how they ride I thought it equated to MR Tour mode which is the softest.
You can in fact get a non-MRC 2SS. It’s comparable to the sport setting on MRC from all the comparisons I read. I didn’t feel the need to option hunt to find a car with everything I wanted plus MRC. I think the problem here is the runflats.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #48
vtirocz

Quote:
You can in fact get a non-MRC 2SS. It’s comparable to the sport setting on MRC from all the comparisons I read. I didn’t feel the need to option hunt to find a car with everything I wanted plus MRC. I think the problem here is the runflats.
The stock run flats are fine, as is the suspension tuning, unless they changed something with the mid-cycle refresh. I've been on several long road trips and the only complaint from the family is inside space, specifically legroom in the rear.

I'm struggling to understand how I consider the base SS suspension comfortable and well damped, while you consider it harsh. Either something is drastically different with your car or we have much different opinions / perspectives on suspension tuning.

Have you checked your tire pressure and alignment?

Old 08-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #49
delthawk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The stock run flats are fine, as is the suspension tuning, unless they changed something with the mid-cycle refresh. I've been on several long road trips and the only complaint from the family is inside space, specifically legroom in the rear.

I'm struggling to understand how I consider the base SS suspension comfortable and well damped, while you consider it harsh. Either something is drastically different with your car or we have much different opinions / perspectives on suspension tuning.

Have you checked your tire pressure and alignment?
I’m running 35 psi as per the specifications on the owners manual. And I’m assuming my alignment is fine considering I bought a new car. I’ll have the dealership check it anyway but it’s unlikely it has anything to do with ride harshness.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #50
vtirocz

Quote:
I’m running 35 psi as per the specifications on the owners manual. And I’m assuming my alignment is fine considering I bought a new car. I’ll have the dealership check it anyway but it’s unlikely it has anything to do with ride harshness.
That's interesting. I also run mine at 35psi all around as per the spec. Maybe you could test drive another non-MRC SS at the dealer to gauge if it's normal or something specific to your car?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #51
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
GM really should have given an option on the SS trim for run flats or all season tires with a patch kit in the trunk. Until they brought out the LT1 model there was no way to get the V8 without aggressive run flats and not everyone wants that most aggressive tire all time time.

I’m half tempted to just burn through these run flats as fast as possible to give me a good reason to buy new tires.

I never had a problem with the Runflats. Save my ass a couple of times because it got me to the gas station to get them plugged. Running cooper rs3 now. They are a little quieter but the is not that much different but they grip better in winter. Never had a problem the RF ride. I would have gotten another set of RF if they made them in all season.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #52
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
No MRC is an option on a 2SS and not standard equipment.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #53
delthawk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Are you sure about that? I’m gonna double check my sticker but it doesn’t say anything about MRC delete. There’s no suspension option in my vehicle settings like there is for exhaust and steering. MRC is an added cost option on the online configurator.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #54
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Quote:
Are you sure about that? I’m gonna double check my sticker but it doesn’t say anything about MRC delete. There’s no suspension option in my vehicle settings like there is for exhaust and steering. MRC is an added cost option on the online configurator.
Greg is correct. MRC was an option on the 2SS, not standard.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #55
delthawk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Greg is correct. MRC was an option on the 2SS, not standard.
Got it. His wording was odd. Think he missed a punctuation mark :P
Old 08-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #56
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Got it. His wording was odd. Think he missed a punctuation mark :P
Probably so! MRC is an option on the 1SS too!👍