Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #43
DNSS2

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I am very happy with the purchase and have no regrets.

For a daily driver, it is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I assumed all SS's were covered, the only reason i hesitated, was an old thread showing the convertible SS having different transmission coolers.

all SS's are covered

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/01/...rack-warranty/

I was trying to make the general point, that the OP shouldn't regret buying an SS. I really don't like when the tone of a thread becomes, "you should have bought a different car", i think it's bad form.
DNSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:55 AM   #44
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I assumed all SS's were covered, the only reason i hesitated, was an old thread showing the convertible SS having different transmission coolers.

all SS's are covered

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/01/...rack-warranty/

I was trying to make the general point, that the OP shouldn't regret buying an SS. I really don't like when the tone of a thread becomes, "you should have bought a different car", i think it's bad form.
I was really surprised by that. The guy clearly stated he wanted to chill out on the kind of money he was tossing at a car, and bought exactly what the SS was built for: high performance DD duty. It comes with features the 1LE trades out to pay for track-oriented stuff he may never use.

I haven't made the jump to a new Camaro yet, but when I do it will be a non-1LE V8. I drive every day on the street. I need a car geared towards that.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #45
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
They damn well better be...

Actually, I seem to recall that in 2017 when I got my car, ALL V8 Camaros were covered for warranty for track use. Now that the 1LZ LT1 has been introduced, I’m not as sure about those. I think part of the cost reduction was elimination of a lot of the coolers.
Martin, i thought the convertibles didn't have all the cooling just like the new LT1s don't? Only the 1 center radiator without the 2 auxs on the sides and no tranny or diff coolers.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #46
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Martin, i thought the convertibles didn't have all the cooling just like the new LT1s don't? Only the 1 center radiator without the 2 auxs on the sides and no tranny or diff coolers.
That is correct, other than I think the vert has the side radiator coolers but no diff cooler. I'm pretty sure the LT1 base V8 car does not have a track warranty like the SS or ZL1 models.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #47
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
That is correct, other than I think the vert has the side radiator coolers but no diff cooler. I'm pretty sure the LT1 base V8 car does not have a track warranty like the SS or ZL1 models.
As I recall, the convertible has 2 fewer coolers than the coupe. They are blocked off at the lower part of the grille. You can see how they are blocked off in the picture below, ironically the 1st picture I ever took of my car before any mods, but it shows the grille close outs best. Three years old now. I am not certain which coolers are blocked off, but I do remember that before I took it to M1 Concourse, I asked a friend of mine on the Camaro team if track warranty included convertibles, given the reduced coolers and he said it was, so off I went.

****EDIT**** Just went back and checked. It doesn’t have trans and diff coolers. Has all the others, including auxiliary engine cooling.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #48
TheRealJA105

Quote:
As I recall, the convertible has 2 fewer coolers than the coupe. They are blocked off at the lower part of the grille. You can see how they are blocked off in the picture below, ironically the 1st picture I ever took of my car before any mods, but it shows the grille close outs best. Three years old now. I am not certain which coolers are blocked off, but I do remember that before I took it to M1 Concourse, I asked a friend of mine on the Camaro team if track warranty included convertibles, given the reduced coolers and he said it was, so off I went.

****EDIT**** Just went back and checked. It doesn’t have trans and diff coolers. Has all the others, including auxiliary engine cooling.
What's weird is the aux radiators are behind the blocked off areas, so what gives there?
Old 02-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #49
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
What's weird is the aux radiators are behind the blocked off areas, so what gives there?
Good question. Here’s my source. It shows all SS (right two columns) get the Aux Coolers (highlighted), but Rear Diff and Trans Coolers are only on coupes (red circled)
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #50
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
That's the complete opposite of most of my experiences.

Wheels and tires make up 80% of the performance difference. I've said 90% before and gotten yelled at by some of those mild elitist types, but I forget that my 1SS was optioned with mag ride and the 6 pistons and most aren't. I really only wish I knew what that ELSD felt like on the track, oh and the Recaros... The BMR cradle lockout is well worth it.
Opposite exoerience for me as well.

Hey I yelled at you once but I'm no 1le elitist, the numbers in the ask Al section disprove your 90% figure though lol... The ss is plenty badass and capable, I thought everyone knew this when it first whooped up on the m4.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #51
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSS2 View Post
Thanks all again for replying. Sounds like I should have went with the 1LE. Well, it is too late now. I will just have to make the best with what I have. I just did not find a local 1LE with a decent price. Plus based on the reviews I read, you needed a 1LE only if you were going to track it. Just like getting the GT350R instead of GT350. However, I do miss the MRC. I had it on the GT350. On normal mode, GT350 was actually softer than my current SS without the MRC.

Based on these replies, I will start with secondary cat delete, splitter and rocker panels, and then consider getting the 1lE wheels and tires.

Actually, maybe because it's winter, but I found GT350s for low 40s with less than 5k miles. There was a huge hype with them in early-2015 to 2017. Dealers would mark them up by like 30 percent. But now Ford made too many of them. You can find one with low miles for low 30s. A local dealer still has few new 2018 models for like 12k below MSRP. I actually had a hard time finding an SS for less than 30k with decent miles.

It was a tough pill to swallow for sure. I will instead invest the $750 per month into a index fund and then pull it out in 6 years and get a C8 Z06 with no payments. It was a smart choice. I hope.

Nice. I also wanted something different. I loved the GT350, but I also love the excitement you get when getting a different car you like.

Apparently that is the consensus.

Yeah. I already put like 500 miles on the SS. I recall taking GT350 out only on the weekends.

Can you suggest any decent clone options for the rocker panels and splitter?
I would say you cant go wrong with c7 carbon or acs composites, both quality and reputable by most. I think acs compisites has some ties to oem stuff but c7 carbon is cheaper.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #52
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Not all of them are toolbags. It's the guys I meet in person that I tend to really not jive with. Online, it's not too bad.
Having been in a c7 and 6th gen, I'd say you meet undesirable people in both like any car community, just different types of undesirables.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #53
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

I've seen the front bumpers off both an SS Convertible and an SS Coupe. The convertible did not have the auxiliary coolers that the coupe did, or the brake ducts either. The convertible's inner fender liner also did not have any provision for either the exit of the cooler or the brake duct. The convertible's grille as you mentioned had blockoff plates on the sides to cover what would have been the inlets of these ducts.

Edited to add, this thread has pics of a convertible that has added the brake ducts to his car. Note the inner fender well having no exit for the auxiliary coolers. Link https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556537

Last edited by wnta1ss; 02-03-2020 at 01:44 PM.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #54
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Opposite exoerience for me as well.
Hey I yelled at you once but I'm no 1le elitist, the numbers in the ask Al section disprove your 90% figure though lol... The ss is plenty badass and capable, I thought everyone knew this when it first whooped up on the m4.
Yeah i owned up, but I even knew about the ask Al thread when I said it. Like i said before I forget that my car was sitting at the dealer with the 6 pistons and magride, then I added the wheels and tires so all i was missing was the ediff and small suspension/sway bar differences. I've since gone through the 1LE swaybars and gone onto BMR so I would just like to feel an ediff haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I've seen the front bumpers off both an SS Convertible and an SS Coupe. The convertible did not have the auxiliary coolers that the coupe did, or the brake ducts either. The convertible's inner fender liner also did not have any provision for either the exit of the cooler or the brake duct. The convertible's grille as you mentioned had blockoff plates on the sides to cover what would have been the inlets of these ducts.
Edited to add, this thread has pics of a convertible that has added the brake ducts to his car. Note the inner fender well having no exit for the auxiliary coolers. Link https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556537
That's what i thought
Old 02-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #55
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:

I'm surprised that it is covered without the additional coolers, I know GM also limited to a top speed of 155mph. It seems like GM really didn't intend for the convertibles to be a track use model. Thanks for the info.

Nice pic
Old 02-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #56
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I'm surprised that it is covered without the additional coolers, I know GM also limited to a top speed of 155mph. It seems like GM really didn't intend for the convertibles to be a track use model. Thanks for the info.

Nice pic
Oh, great....so NOW you tell me...
Attached Images