Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #43
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
If you need more rear down force wouldn't the ZL1 rear spoiler set up be the way to go?
Chassis mounted front splitter wouldn't help with oversteer.

I'm no racing engineer, these are just my thoughts.

Last edited by Boost Creep; 04-25-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: clarification: posted understeer instead of oversteer.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #44
APEXHNTR

Drives: 2015 Turbo FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
If you need more rear down force wouldn't the ZL1 rear spoiler set up be the way to go?
Chassis mounted front splitter wouldn't help with understeer.

I'm no racing engineer, these are just my thoughts.
Maybe, except the OEM ZL1 wing is static, $4000, and unattractive cosmetically to me. A fully adjustable, carbon fiber wing can be had on the aftermarket for 25% of that cost.

But again, you're making me ask the question "Why does nobody experiment with aftermarket parts for this car?" It seems that the only modifications anyone does are OEM parts from other Camaros. Why is that?
APEXHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #45
mggeyer

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss 1le
Why is that? #1. the car has only been out for approximately a year! It is extremely expensive to throw parts at a car, especially when you are first just learning to drive it to its potential. I would agree with everything TRACKCLUB has responded to you with. Quite frankly your abrasive approach to all of this is abit ridiculous. I appreciate you wanting to know if anyone has found the "magic" setup for this car on this forum but this is probably not the the ideal place to discover that. Most here who track or auto-x their 1Le's are making small changes that are available at reasonable costs and easy to obtain. Most do not want to void their warranty on their vehicle. Your self proclaimed knowledge of AERO is quite questionable. NOt that I am an expert by any means but I did ACTUALLY race , compete and win races with SCCA, NASA, for many years. My very good friends have world challenge cars with aero packages designed and built by Kerry Hitt who was contracted through GM to build design and test the aero packages for their race cars. ACP has been doing this a long time and you may want to contact them. Kerry has won Daytona 24 hours and raced at Lemans so please dont ramble on with him about your AERO expertise. The mods discussed on this forum are for street cars that are tracked and auto=xed. If you are building an all out race car this is not the best place for that info. You need to find where these cars are competing and check them out for yourself. Your skinny tire approach is almost laughable. I would suggest maybe some personlized instruction from a well known professional driver amd a good estra set of wheels and tires, great brakes pads and brake cooling aids. Now when you can drive the car like the test driver for the ZL1 at the Nurburgring then you might be ready for serious mods. Good luck! By the way, what you describe you want is a Camaro GT4. It is for sale at $250,000. THe Continental Mustangs are also avalible for $249.000 or a Porsche Cayman Gts for $219.000.
mggeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #46
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXHNTR View Post
Maybe, except the OEM ZL1 wing is static, $4000, and unattractive cosmetically to me. A fully adjustable, carbon fiber wing can be had on the aftermarket for 25% of that cost.

But again, you're making me ask the question "Why does nobody experiment with aftermarket parts for this car?" It seems that the only modifications anyone does are OEM parts from other Camaros. Why is that?
The OEM wing may be static but it was designed in a wind tunnel to work with the sixth gen Camaro body.
I wonder how many aftermarket "aero" mods were actually tested extensively in wind tunnel or driven around the Nurburgring.

My fear would be the aftermarket "aero" mods would be nothing more than gimmicks that would be difficult and expensive to test and quantify.

For me, I will probably never come close to pushing the 1LE to it's limits to where aero mods will make any improvement.

I do understand where you are going but like posted earlier, you may have better luck on a strictly full blown racing forum.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #47
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
I can put you in touch with the designer/builder of these wings if you like, they are FULLY adjustable and thoroughly tested.
Attached Images

Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #48
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mggeyer View Post
Why is that? #1. the car has only been out for approximately a year! It is extremely expensive to throw parts at a car, especially when you are first just learning to drive it to its potential. I would agree with everything TRACKCLUB has responded to you with. Quite frankly your abrasive approach to all of this is abit ridiculous. I appreciate you wanting to know if anyone has found the "magic" setup for this car on this forum but this is probably not the the ideal place to discover that. Most here who track or auto-x their 1Le's are making small changes that are available at reasonable costs and easy to obtain. Most do not want to void their warranty on their vehicle. Your self proclaimed knowledge of AERO is quite questionable. NOt that I am an expert by any means but I did ACTUALLY race , compete and win races with SCCA, NASA, for many years. My very good friends have world challenge cars with aero packages designed and built by Kerry Hitt who was contracted through GM to build design and test the aero packages for their race cars. ACP has been doing this a long time and you may want to contact them. Kerry has won Daytona 24 hours and raced at Lemans so please dont ramble on with him about your AERO expertise. The mods discussed on this forum are for street cars that are tracked and auto=xed. If you are building an all out race car this is not the best place for that info. You need to find where these cars are competing and check them out for yourself. Your skinny tire approach is almost laughable. I would suggest maybe some personlized instruction from a well known professional driver amd a good estra set of wheels and tires, great brakes pads and brake cooling aids. Now when you can drive the car like the test driver for the ZL1 at the Nurburgring then you might be ready for serious mods. Good luck! By the way, what you describe you want is a Camaro GT4. It is for sale at $250,000. THe Continental Mustangs are also avalible for $249.000 or a Porsche Cayman Gts for $219.000.
Thanks for the honest feedback, and the suggestion of where to start my searching. That's really all I wanted in the first place. I do not claim to know-all about aero, but I spent a significant time observing the development of aero components with my previous car, so I have seen its benefits first hand. This culture is new to me. I am used to the German and JDM culture, where people are installing modifications before they leave the dealer's parking lot, and the warranty was a joke. I am not sure how good Chevy's warranty is, but in my past experience, driving your car on a track, even at low speed, was cause for a voided warranty. Therefore, I don't consider the warranty very much when I consider modifying a car. I am used to just fixing whatever breaks, with the understanding that you have to pay to play. As for finding where the cars are competing, I am struggling to find more than one or two people that are doing it on a serious level, and when I share their setups, and experiences (such as the MRC being a quick-wearing part) I'm laughed into next week. I'm beginning to think that you (and others before you) are right, and that this forum is not the forum I'm looking for. Again, I appreciate your advice, and I will make a point of getting in touch with ACP and seeing what advice they can offer me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
The OEM wing may be static but it was designed in a wind tunnel to work with the sixth gen Camaro body.
I wonder how many aftermarket "aero" mods were actually tested extensively in wind tunnel or driven around the Nurburgring.

My fear would be the aftermarket "aero" mods would be nothing more than gimmicks that would be difficult and expensive to test and quantify.

For me, I will probably never come close to pushing the 1LE to it's limits to where aero mods will make any improvement.

I do understand where you are going but like posted earlier, you may have better luck on a strictly full blown racing forum.
It was designed to work with the 6th gen body under what conditions? 120mph in a straight line? I'm no expert in wind tunnels, but I don't think it's possible to accurately replicate cornering grip in a wind tunnel. And not all tracks and track builds are the same. When you get to adding downforce, at a certain point, you need to make suspension adjustments to keep the tires from rubbing at speed. That's the kind of data I was looking for.

APR, Voltex, Aeromotions, etc all have extensive race pedigrees, and are on numerous podium-level cars, I have no doubt in their functionality. What I want the answer to, is how how high of a riser do I want? How wide of an element do I want? Do I want 1700mm, or 1900mm? And so on. I was hoping to find that information here.

I am going to take the advice of you, and many before you, and search for my answers on more race-specific forums. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #49
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
I can put you in touch with the designer/builder of these wings if you like, they are FULLY adjustable and thoroughly tested.
Lol. I'm very interested in the CFD and/or wind tunnel results from that "thorough testing"
Old 04-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #50
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Thanks for the humour Chris
I'm not joking.

You seem to be incapable of understanding that others don't share your opinion, and so with a complete lack of knowledge to answer specific questions asked, you chime in that their questions are inappropriate.

Nobody is going to hold your head underwater until you agree to modify your car. Stop crapping all over threads for people asking specifically about modifications.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #51
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Fyi: GM warranties their sports cars FULLY for track duty as long as they are not modified consumables excepted. No questions asked.This includes basic warranty and extends up to 5 yrs as far as power train goes (in Canada - might be 4 in the US).

Hope you sort it all out albeit it is still clear as mud to me whether you actually own a 1LE or drive one that belongs to somebody else etc.

And more importantly: what actually changed on the car to make it handle badly as a bone stock 1le is an absolute dream in that department and its official lap times prove it. NB Reducing weight by 150lb or so on a 3750lb car and going with skinnier tires wont make the car oversteer by design, just like carrying a 150lb passenger wont change its handling characteristics much either. Besides since you talk "racing" youll gain this weight back with a cage...

So my pure guess is that there is more to the issue here and hence aero by itself wont fix it unless youre planning on running high speed nascar ovals only (hey it is a joke ) For a car to handle well on a road course it has to start with a good mechanical grip handling wise for slower corners where aero doesnt play a role. Thats true even for F1 cars. Perhaps check the alignment? Maybe the rear toe is out of whack? Lots to look at before jumping to a conclusion that aero will fix it all.

And as many have suggested, better options exist to race a v8 muscle car. Racingjunk.com ia full of them.
And imho there is no better brand new (and "affordable") choice than a TA4 car.

In any case, i have a feeling youll do what you think is best regardless, so i wish you best of luck!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #52
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I'm not joking.

You seem to be incapable of understanding that others don't share your opinion, and so with a complete lack of knowledge to answer specific questions asked, you chime in that their questions are inappropriate.

Nobody is going to hold your head underwater until you agree to modify your car. Stop crapping all over threads for people asking specifically about modifications.
If you have better ideas to offer to the OP to fix his ill handling car, lets hear them. Perhaps a DSC controller to fix lack of robustness of the factory MRC? Just kidding Come on Chris i thought you were a better guy than your last post.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #53
APEXHNTR

Quote:
If you have better ideas to offer to the OP to fix his ill handling car, lets hear them. Perhaps a DSC controller to fix lack of robustness of the factory MRC? Just kidding Come on Chris i thought you were a better guy than your last post.
You're really good at putting words in people's mouths...I never said the car was "ill handling". It's perfectly fine, and the lap times seem to show that, but I think it can be improved upon. Hence my post. I was looking for people who have actually tried different modifications, and can share their findings, not people who think that GM can do no wrong, and if the car didn't come with it, it's a downgrade. I'm looking for people that are chasing a tenth of a second, and have hands on experience with more than just a stock car.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #54
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXHNTR View Post
You're really good at putting words in people's mouths...I never said the car was "ill handling". It's perfectly fine, and the lap times seem to show that, but I think it can be improved upon. Hence my post. I was looking for people who have actually tried different modifications, and can share their findings, not people who think that GM can do no wrong, and if the car didn't come with it, it's a downgrade. I'm looking for people that are chasing a tenth of a second, and have hands on experience with more than just a stock car.
Not at all as you have said it yourself:

Look at your post #4 where you specifically mention ISSUES when you lowered the car's weight. Ryephile also picked up on it and hence you then added that the car OVERSTEERS as the explanation of what the ISSUE was based on his question. These are your words not mine. Now i can guarantee you that you wont find a single post in this forum about somebody complaining about 1LE oversteering. Hence my offered suggestions.

But if thats not the case and you actually have no OVERSTEERING ISSUE, then throw all my posts out the window and thanks for wasting my time with your misinformation.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #55
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Not at all as you have said it yourself:

Look at your post #4 where you specifically mention ISSUES when you lowered the car's weight. Ryephile also picked up on it and hence you then added that the car OVERSTEERS as the explanation of what the ISSUE was based on his question. These are your words not mine. Now i can guarantee you that you wont find a single post in this forum about somebody complaining about 1LE oversteering. Hence my offered suggestions.

But if thats not the case and you actually have no OVERSTEERING ISSUE, then throw all my posts out the window and thanks for wasting my time with your misinformation.
Plenty of cars have oversteer. That doesn't equal "ill handling". It also doesn't mean that I have to live with it. Now I have chosen to switch out my wheels to a square setup, as I much prefer oversteer to the understeer that is incurred with a staggered setup. Due to the constraints of the front struts, and fenders, I am limited by what I can fit. Therefore, I have created a "problem" for myself by removing grip from the rear end of the car, by running a narrower (275 or 285) tire. That means I need some way to replace that grip, and generally speaking, adding downforce over the rear-axle is a relatively easy way to achieve that. And you clearly have nothing to add on this topic because you have never done it.

Also, you're worried about YOUR time being wasted? L.O.L. You've added NOTHING of value to this discussion, and proved that you not only lack the experience to help me with my quest for knowledge, but are also a major pain in the ass. Good day to you. Enjoy tracking your car in complete ignorance of its potential.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #56
Sleeks

Drives: None
Cars from the factory are setup in such a way that they work for a majority of situations for a majority of drivers. While the 1LE is marketed as a track package, in reality Chevy still had to make the car work on the street and not overly complicate maintenance. Most of us that track the cars, even just the couple of track days per year, have changed the brake fluid to give us better braking performance and safety-that is one way we are all improving the car. Reducing weight, adding aero, improving tires, suspension and brakes are common ways people go after more speed at the track.

Personally, I like my warranty, so I am not doing major changes to the car, but I can understand the the OP wants to improve the car. I think a good adjustable coilover is better than MRC for a car that sees as many track days as the OP says he does. I have friends with E46 M3s with massive aero (splitters and adjustable wings) that let them corner at crazy speeds, so I understand the OPs desire for this as well.

OP, I think that you aren't getting good responses is because there just isn't much out for this car yet. Its still fairly new and most stuff that is out is developed with the cosmetic in mind before function is tested - and the 1LE is not a high volume model.

There were over 40K E46 M3s sold in the US, and there is still, 12 years after they stopped making them, a healthy aftermarket for them. There were only 1500 SS 1LEs made in 2017. 2018 will bring more, but we may not see high enough volume to have companies really spend R&D money to design what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote