#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #43
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
The A8 IS garbage. That's why I had no choice but to buy my 2016 SS with a stick when I wanted an auto. Hopefully the A10 finally offers a DCT experience so I can trade my 2016 SS for one.
For now, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see how the A8 is garbage as an owner/operator of one. I may have a different opinion after RA, but, jury will be out on that until May.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 PM   #44
camaro1&6

Drives: 67camaro 69Nova C6
Quote:
The A8 IS garbage. That's why I had no choice but to buy my 2016 SS with a stick when I wanted an auto. Hopefully the A10 finally offers a DCT experience so I can trade my 2016 SS for one.
Your absolutely ridiculous, I owned a 09 911s DCT , The A8 isn't much behind in fact , not much different at all .
camaro1&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #45
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
If you have driven the A8 as I have and after watching the gm video of the A10 on the road course its really gonna be the class of any field. It will be easier to put the power to the ground the auto and keep the RPM's in the power band. Its just gonna be one bad ass ride, so if I were buying one it would be A10 without a doubt.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #46
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
I'll tell Ya what is ridiculous, the fact that I am considering going to an auto because of the ten-speed as I call it.

I LOVE manual, but staying in the powerband is sexy too.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #47
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Watch out for your AE35 unit.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #48
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
So, I have to ask this question since I'm a hard core Manual guy. My question has nothing to do with which is faster, I get the Auto will be faster, but what concerns me about a 10 speed auto is how it will handle transitions in corners, specifically slowing down or speeding up, when I drive my manual it's relatively easy to click it into whichever gear keeps the rpm up, but with a 10 speed auto it seems like it would be constantly changing gears to keep the engine "on the bubble". Even in manual mode, it seems like 10 speeds would be geared so closely that you'd be constantly shifting through corners to keep rpm up. Am I off base here......even though I said I'm hardcore manual, I'm not anti auto by any stretch, in fact this 10 speed has me curious, but for me it's all about smoothness with gear changes. Is it like butter or jerky because the transmission is shifting so much. Straight line, I get it, Auto all the way and will be faster, but SMOOTH driving on a back road or track......thoughts?????
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #49
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
So, I have to ask this question since I'm a hard core Manual guy. My question has nothing to do with which is faster, I get the Auto will be faster, but what concerns me about a 10 speed auto is how it will handle transitions in corners, specifically slowing down or speeding up, when I drive my manual it's relatively easy to click it into whichever gear keeps the rpm up, but with a 10 speed auto it seems like it would be constantly changing gears to keep the engine "on the bubble". Even in manual mode, it seems like 10 speeds would be geared so closely that you'd be constantly shifting through corners to keep rpm up. Am I off base here......even though I said I'm hardcore manual, I'm not anti auto by any stretch, in fact this 10 speed has me curious, but for me it's all about smoothness with gear changes. Is it like butter or jerky because the transmission is shifting so much. Straight line, I get it, Auto all the way and will be faster, but SMOOTH driving on a back road or track......thoughts?????
Good question,

Figure that you're supposed to set your gear (if at all possible) before corner entry, as you're braking. That said, as you're braking, it'll take 2 or 3 blips of the downshift paddle to get where you need to be...take the corner, and then accelerate out, hitting the upshift paddle. 10 is a lot of gears. But one of the redeeming qualities of this 10 speed is just how quickly it shifts when you hit the paddle.

Check out this video. Bill is a quick driver...one of the engineers who drive the cars during development. Listen for the downshifts as he enters corners, and upshifts as he accelerates out of them.

No doubt there is more shifting involved than with a 6 speed...but I don't think it'll be too bad.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #50
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I'll be lucky if I can afford a 1LE when they come out and they only come in m6.
If I could spring for a ZL1, I'd go with the A10.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #51
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Drives: '69 RS Pro Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Good question,

Figure that you're supposed to set your gear (if at all possible) before corner entry, as you're braking. That said, as you're braking, it'll take 2 or 3 blips of the downshift paddle to get where you need to be...take the corner, and then accelerate out, hitting the upshift paddle. 10 is a lot of gears. But one of the redeeming qualities of this 10 speed is just how quickly it shifts when you hit the paddle.

Check out this video. Bill is a quick driver...one of the engineers who drive the cars during development. Listen for the downshifts as he enters corners, and upshifts as he accelerates out of them.

No doubt there is more shifting involved than with a 6 speed...but I don't think it'll be too bad.
That is a wicked lap and anyone who doubts the capability of the A10 must be watching a different clip. The car was constantly up in the rpm band and never once sounded like it was struggling. Acceleration out of the corners was blistering. Definitely looking forward to its release.
Heavymetal454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #52
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
That clip right their made up my mind to sell my 69 GTO and buy a 2018 ZL1!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #53
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Good question,

What a great video. Just shows how it stays in the powerband and how quick this 10spd auto will be on the track.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #54
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
THIS is what I need to finally drop a clutch pedal after 3 decades.
I am EXTREMELY excited to test the A10 myself and see if it's the real deal, or just another disappointment like the A8 is.
Did the a8 bang your girlfriend while you were at work or something? Lol.

I was a manual guy before I drove the a8, and the way that car drove made me trade in my ls3 c6 m6 for one......well, that and the fact I traded in an 09 with 30k miles for a '16 with almost identical performance, more refinements, and only took a $5/mo increase on the car note had a lot to do with it as well

You want to know what a disappointing transmission is? Come drive this loaner car the dealership gave me. It's a '16 Malibu with an a6 in it. It shift slower than the 4l60 in my Sierra and doesn't ever know what gear to be in.

It also has a feature that I've never had before in a car.....auto stop. That is the dumbest feature to ever be added to an automobile. How much gas are you really saving by shutting off a 1.5 4 cyl at a light for 20 seconds?? I'd rather the air bag deploy every time I stopped bc I think that would make for a more enjoyable ride
Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #55
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
You can't see the downshift pulls of the paddle in that video, so the jury is still out for me.
Regardless, it takes a personal test to have any idea how the transmission actually performs.
At :55 you can listen and hear the clicks of the downshift paddles and then the revs.

Not sure if it is a mechanical click or a speaker sound when you hit the paddle shifter for the sake of determining the sound delay vs seeing the movement in the hands for the upshifts.

I just wish they coulda had the PDR stats showing for both the a10 vids and the m6.
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #56
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
That clip right their made up my mind to sell my 69 GTO and buy a 2018 ZL1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
What a great video. Just shows how it stays in the powerband and how quick this 10spd auto will be on the track.
Yeah - it's quite amazing...and it sounds equally impressive. They tuned the engine to cut spark briefly during shifts...which results in a "bang" of a backfire everytime you press the paddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
At :55 you can listen and hear the clicks of the downshift paddles and then the revs.

Not sure if it is a mechanical click or a speaker sound when you hit the paddle shifter for the sake of determining the sound delay vs seeing the movement in the hands for the upshifts.

I just wish they coulda had the PDR stats showing for both the a10 vids and the m6.
The sound is mechanical. The GoPro was located very close to the steering wheel, it picked them up.